Load the roof and leave it?

One thing I see far too often is contractors who load roofs on homes and then seem to disappear for an extended time. It seems to be a strategy unique to reroofing serving to mentally bind the customer into a contract. The contractor must figure a loaded roof will lessen the chance of cancellation in the event buyer’s remorse creeps in. Though the psychology behind this can lead to an ethical debate, it’s an argument that would also raise some hackles.

What I do see as a problem is the effect such concentrated product weight has structurally over the longer term. I pride myself on loading roofs a day before a project commences because I cannot see the sense in risking prolonged structural strain on a home. It’s easy to plan, seems to always work out just fine with my suppliers and gives me a feeling of satisfaction that I manage my projects tightly. I guess I’m a bit of a Project Management geek who gets a kick out of precision.

The worst is when suppliers will bolster a loaded pallet with a few shingles on each sloped side and then leave everything on the pallet and not spread the shingles at all. That just pisses me off … and is dangerous. When you figure each bundle comes in at around 70 lbs, the math seems pretty clear.

I wish I could find a researched opinion on this as it just seems like a bad thing to do over an extended period of time. If it was my home, I’d scream bloody murder but I also understand what I may feel may just be that and there really is no concern at all.

I look forward to learning of some opinions and experiences surrounding this practice.

I did a roof for a guy who was going to diy but came to his senses. The bundles had been up there for 18months by by the time I got to them.
They were fine,the bottom of the stacks needed some time in the sun to flatten out.
If they’re loaded properly, no big deal.

Thanks for the reply. The shingles are not the concern, it’s the prolonged weight on the the rafters that is in concern.

Thats beginner precision…
Precision would be removing the roof
Or at least the top 3 feet on each side.
Decking repaired, renailed and underlayment installed
And then moments later the material arrives
And is stacked neatly on the roof.
An appropriate stack would be about 6-7 sq.

Now this is a steep roof.
An 8/12.
You put three bundles on each side of the ridge under the pallet stack.
Most lower slope roofs only require 2 bundles per side before you pallet stack.
Also 2 16d nails driven into the trusses on each side of the pallet stack are being used to keep the shingles from sliding down the roof.
These are needed for the pitches above a 4 or 5/12.

We install the shingles immediately as you can see we are ready to do so.

Yes, that is indeed the proper way to do it. When you rely on supplier provided delivery services and the random arrival times of subtrades, it can spoil your well intentioned plans. Preloading is generally not a worry for a few days however it becomes a concern over extended periods due to the concentrated weight on the rafters … in my opinion at least. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!