Long run chalk line

How do you accurately chalk a 50’ run using a chalk line?

I know you pull it tight but you still tend to get a sag in the center.

What is the best method to get accurate lines 50’ plus

Pull it as tight as you can and have someone pin it in the center.

Hello,

Shangle told you how, in addition to that I always use a Little Giant chalk line. You can run 50+ ft. with one of those.

Keith

i use a irwin one and love it but if it even touches the roof its leaving a mark

Like Shangle said, have someone hold it in the center mark. Also, be wary of using red chalk as it does NOT fade or wash away like blue or white chalk.

Only chalk 25’ at a time.

[quote=“bcdemon”]

Only chalk 25’ at a time.[/quote]

Dont do this, alot of times you have different measurements in middle do what shangle said…

Only chalk 25’ at a time.

Dont do this, alot of times you have different measurements in middle do what shangle said…

People lie tapes don’t…hahaha

People lie tapes don’t…hahaha

you tellin me that ALL edges of roofs are straight?? end to end you cant go wrong…or am i missin the haha?

If I am chaliking 50 feet…

1. Measure up left gable and then tack a 16d nail

2. Measure up in the middle (at 25 ft marker) then tack a 16d nail

3. Measure up right gale and then tack a 16d nail.

4. Hook the chalk line to the far right nail and string it to the middle.

5. Wound my string several times around the middle nail then string it to the left nail, wound several times around that nail.

6. Both 25 ft lines are taught, I walk to the middle of each string then snap it.

7. Don’t have too many problem with this technique, but sometimes the lines come out crooked (wavy eave) I adjust from there then re-chalk

This is a one man show technique…

[quote=“Roofer Gee”]If I am chaliking 50 feet…

5. Wound my string several times around the middle nail then string it to the left nail, wound several times around that nail.

6. Both 25 ft lines are taught, I walk to the middle of each string then snap it.

7. Don’t have too many problem with this technique, but sometimes the lines come out crooked (wavy eave) I adjust from there then re-chalk

***This is a one man show technique…***[/quote]

I’ll do the same except I measure down from ridge and put same measurment in middle as the end ones.

[quote=“kage”]

[quote=“Roofer Gee”]If I am chaliking 50 feet…

***This is a one man show technique…***[/quote]

I’ll do the same except I measure down from ridge and put same measurment in middle as the end ones.[/quote]

ROFL, how in the world is this ANY different than what I said, measuring 25’ at a time?

The diff is you measure from bottom,I measure from top,…are you tryin to go straight with bottom or the ridge??

You said you chalk 25 ft…I just explained in more detail how I get 50 ft chalked.

I know that eastern U.S has a different method of shingling than U.S West. We do not put high degree of emphisis on chalking lines unless we have 100-200 ft runs.

We use the gun gauge (that is what they are there for). Never do carpenters pattern, everything is gauged to manf. spec. (5 5/8 to begin with) for exposure and gauged on the side.

Gauge the same spot on every shingle, you can make a run real straight. So…not too much of a need to chalk lines. I do admit that gauging by a sloppy/inexperienced roofer/homeowner can make a roof look real bad.

***Its because they depend on the gauge to do all the work for them and fail to see the potential problems they can create. ***

Just pull the string and pin it like I said. Snap both sides and check the middle. If the middle is ± 1/4" of your measurement at the ends, go with it. If not, your gonna have to figure something else out.

If you think the middle section of the eave is out of line with the ends you might try this. Measure up from the the eave at one end and drive a nail. Measure up from the eave at the other end and drive a nail. Then stretch a string between the two nails and drive a third nail at the halfway point where the string touches the roof. Then go ahead and snap your chalk lines like Roofer Gee said, one half at a time. The two lines will be straight with each other making one continuous line. If the eave and the ridge are not parallel then about all you can do is start adjusting the courses a little at a time as you get close to he ridge.

I didn’t even state where I measure from (top or bottom). I just said measure 25’ at a time.

If I have a 50’ ridge to cap with 13" wide caps(3-tab), I measure 6.5" inch down from the top at 3 points (two ends and the middle), and chalk two separate lines starting from the outside edge and meeting at the middle.

Just snap the damn lines and shingle the freaking roof, jeez. :roll:

Who the hell uses lines anyways?..except greenies…

Axiom and Kage…Ditto!!!

Some of us take an extra breath to explain a detail and it is neccesary for those who lack the knowledge.

To be short and vague…doesn’t help much.