Longlife and wind resistant

Hi all:

Bought a house, about 15 years old…probably ready for a roof. Its got many peaks/valleys and one major enemy: wind.

Most of the houses in this “development” have obvious wind damaged roofs, ours included. This is eastern Pennsylvania…I have seen gusts here that are WAY more than those ever advertised on the local news, so it must be a localized event due to landscape, etc.

The current roof is two ages (a new addition was installed). Obviously the new roof was installed incorrectly as the plastic strips covering the sealing strip were never removed (the deal that prevents the shingles from sticking together in storage)…they are still there, I have removed several of them myself to save a few tabs that were lifted. The old roof is definitely showing its age…

Since this is a long-term house, looking to do a long-life roof. What are my options? I was thinking metal, but now I’m rethinking that option because I think it would look bad with all the narrow peaks and valleys.

My main concern is wind damage…obviously its an issue here. The only other issue is ice-damming, which can be solved with ice-guard and heat tape. What options do I have as far as shingles?

Sounds like you have a 3-tab roof. Those strip **ARE **there so they will not stick to the tar strip of the shingle below it…when inside the packaging. When installed that strip DOES not play any part in "roof integrity.

3-tabs are rated at 60-65 mile per hr (average) depending on manufacturer

If you are REALY interested in a metal roof, then you are ready to spend some money. You don’t like the metal…then go with CERTAINTEED PRESIDENTIAL. It would look GREAT on your roof!

With ice and water shield and a properly ventilated attic, I wouldn’t worry about ice dam issues. A properly ventilated attic will prevent ice dams from forming, and if they do, the ice and water shield will protect from roof leaks.

If you’re worried about wind, the number one thing to do is nail your shingles properly. If you haven’t nailed your shingles properly, it doesn’t matter if you’re using a 3tab or certainteed presidentials, they will blow off eventually…it’s like putting new wheels on your car and not tightening your lug nuts. It doesn’t matter how expensive your tires are, your wheels are going to fall off.

Where the sealing strip is sealed, the shingles appear fine and are holding, but at every tab that’s missing; the sealing strip was never unsealed.

Being I was not the PO who had the roof installed, I can’t verify if the installation was correct or not. I still find it odd that, out of five nearby houses; all of them suffer failed shingles…sort of rules out a single contractor installation issue.

Thanks for the information on the Presidentials. On a side note, my coworker mentioned something about a roofing system that consists of 4’x8’ fiberglass sheets…any idea what they were describing?

If it has not been around for 10 yrs as a proven product, then I would not touch it.