"Loss Leader" repairs - this is ridiculous

Today, I was shown an invoice for a repair that had just been done.

This was a 2nd story, 14:12 roof, laminate. The original had some portions put on with staples, other portions put on with nails (based on what fell off, I’d say they averaged 3-1/2 nails per shingle on that 14:12 pitch).

There was at least 1 square of shingle missing or obviously torn/wrinkled/folded/etc. Some of this was the last course below the ridge, so the ridge would have to be popped and some replaced. There were other areas where everything was still there and laying flat, until the wind picked up and you could see 10 sf or more were stuck together but loose from the roof.

This is one of those roofs that has blowoffs every year.

The price for the repair (no indication of how much new material used, time spent, etc.) was … $125.00 .

Thats too cheap, they should have at least a $300. minimum. Make sure they are legit and carry insurance as roofers.

Bet they are not in business next year over the same name. I wont send anyone out for less than 300 dollars. Nor would i attempt to repair a roof like that it would be new roof or bye bye. For the record (not meaning one) im not cheap i sold a 15 foot valley that was a split top 6/12 to 12/12 then lower same but with counter and apron. Doing things for 125 dollars makes u bankrupt. Now that situation was all in its own. If i was to repair a few shingles depending what sub if i want to do more work in it or in a good mood i sometimes will just take from stock and in a good mood i would do it for free if the roof is not screwed as read above. Its a great way to get a few referrals from. Hand them 5 business cards and say thank you for allowing us to repair their home.

Never do anything for Free. nothing in life is free it always cost someone. You loose credibility and value if you give your trade away.

Well, for the record, I’ll post what I offered this homeowner.

First, two bits of info I held back from my original post: 1) This was a previous customer for whom I had done several at-cost or heavily-discounted repairs in the past on other parts of the roof (he has previously had some long gaps without a job). 2) With the exception of 1 shingle, all the damage was on a fairly isolated plane of the roof, which was separated from the rest of the roof by one ridge, one hip-ridge, and the other two edges were a rake and an eave. This slope was the worst problem on the house, and was only 8 squares total.

Keeping in mind that on this roof, a full-house roof replacement would come in around $300+/square (before accessories), I told him that if he wanted to replace just this one isolated slope, I would do it for $400/square based on actual materials used, or $3200 estimate.

I also offered to replace the missing, visibly damaged, and invisibly damaged sections (areas of wind lift where nails were pulled through, but shingles had lain back down in place), and collateral damage from repair, estimated to be 4 squares or less, at $500/square (again, based on actual materials used, so estimated $2000 max).

Lastly, I gave him an option to replace the missing and visibly damaged portions, and re-nail the pulled-through areas (several good-sized such areas) rather than replace them (thus, no new material used), and (of course) replace any collateral damage from the repair. I estimated this to be no more than 2 squares, at $500/square on actual materials used, for a max of $1000.

These options would all include warranty on our new work.

In my book, any smaller repair than that would have been pointless, as there would be more shingles flying off before the month was out due to our windy spring thunderstorms and the poor original installation.

He declined my offers, obviously. It turns out that he called the contractor who built the house, got the number for the original roofers (this is the original roof), and they were the ones who came out and did some kind of fix for $125. These are the same guys who botched it so badly the first time, resulting in blow-offs and repairs every year. These guys are out of Fort Worth (50 miles away), and have been in business for about 20 years.

When I asked him about it afterward, he told me that he thought maybe I needed to figure out how the other roofers were able to keep their prices so low and still make a profit. We talked a little bit more, but I basically let it go after that comment.

[quote=“neville”] This was a previous customer for whom I had done several at-cost or heavily-discounted repairs in the past on other parts of the roof (he has previously had some long gaps without a job).

When I asked him about it afterward, he told me that he thought maybe I needed to figure out how the other roofers were able to keep their prices so low and still make a profit. [/quote]

I know what I would tell him the next time he calls.

I bid a motel roof in our town a couple years ago. I had to submit the bid through the bank. The job was eventually done by some outfit out of Indianapolis (3 hours away). When I drove by they were tearing off shingles only (of course there were patches where the felt paper was missing too). When it was put back they didn’t bother to refelt it.

Last year there was a leak and they called our office. My boss took the call but he wasn’t in any big hurry to rush right out there. A few weeks later our internet/computer guy called my cell phone. He said he was at the Days Inn and said they have a leak in one of their rooms. My simple response was “I don’t care. The roof can fall in for all I care. The roof should still be under warranty, tell him to call the guys from Indianapolis.” I proceeded to explain to him that I submitted a bid to do the roof right and he chose cheap, and cheap was what he got. It’s not my problem and I’m not making it my problem.