Low Slope roof ventilation changed and now there's trouble

Pride, I understand your system and that is a very fine way for doing it, thanks for clearing that up. At least your state has inspectors and licensed contractors, our state has nothing, the only ones that need a license are the plumbers, thats it. An 18 year old punk with a truck and ladder can start his own roofing, building, electical whatever company, and it seems we get alot of people that know nothing about the building trades and they screw up a lot of things around here, costing the insurance companies and homeowners millions of $$$. If I uderstand the end of your post: a 2 layer tear off on a 12/12 roof and getting dimensional shingles put back on sells for $160 per square. If that is true I would half to move or go into another line of work, that is just sad. After you pay for materials, debris, workmans comp, unemployment, fica taxes, gas, general liability insurance, company overhead, ect, ect, ect. You are left with burger flipping wages. How do you survive?
Sound like $280 minimum, but I know how some market areas get. I wish you luck there.

Good Day

I am also in Michigan, but we are getting a bit more than that around here. As for the venting issue, don’t get too caught up in it all, like I said in a different post, all venting needs are different depending on the structure.

A couple of interesting jobs we did a few years ago, 2 churches, both had T&G decking and shingles installed on the deck. No venting whatsoever. both original shingles were a 25 year shingle, both dimensionals, both about 30 years old. One church decided that they wanted the warranty so we built a new vented deck on top of the T&G with 2X6s standing on end, 2 layers of rigid EPS, and a 2 inch free flowing vent space from soffit to ridge. The other church decided that they didn’t want to spend the extra money on the “warranty” roof. Their old 25 year shingles lasted 30 years and they would take the chance again. The price difference between the 2 was around $18000. #2 church figured that even if the new roof only lasted for half the life span and had to be replaced again, they would still be ahead of #1 church.

I don’t trust the venting theories out there…as a “one size fits all”, and I sure don’t trust the shingle manufacturers to cover their warranties!

Good point on shingles with warranty and no vents but that is a totally different animal when you work on churches. MOst have no way of venting without cutting into the chapel ceiling. Any shingles applied to inadequately ventilated or non-ventilated decks, other than the shingles and deck systems described
in the paragraph below, titled “Insulated Decks and Radiant Barriers,â€

I’m sure that would benefit lots of people on both sides of the buisness. if I wasn’t a storm chaser I might be interested. :wink:

wwwbicplazacom