Low slope roof

I am a homeowner and need advice on roofing for a low slope roof at the rear of my 1928 bungalow. The main roof will be a tear-off and shingled in brown ‘architectural’ shingles. One proposal has the low slope portion covered in an ice/water shield membrane and then covered in the same shingles as the house. The 2nd proposal suggests a 2 part system: a self-adhered base sheet and then a self-adhered cap sheet with granulated surface in white. No shingles on top of that.

This part of the house is an enclosed back porch and there is not much space between the indoor ceiling and the roof.

Any advice is appreciated!

Your second roofer understands that you cant put shingles(especially architects) on that low slope roof. Choose him.

the first roofer thinks he can use Ice and water shield under the shingles and make it all OK. I disagree.
It should work for several years,but…

no shingles under 3/12 pitch is my rule. Some here will say no under 4/12, manufactures say no under 2/12. If you think it would be called a low slope roof to your untrained eye, then it needs to be a membrane roofing system.

Do you know the pitch of the roof?

I have added a photo of the area in question, as I don’t know the pitch measurement. http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/9767/img_1278162148.jpg

That pitch is some where between a 2/12 and 3/12.
The manufactuer will say its ok as specified and so will the city/state and MOST roofing contractors.
But it is debatable.

ON the other subject, it kind of looks like you already have metal on your gable edges.
Am i seeing that right?

Also looks like the roofer has a double roof tear off coming up.

Nice looking house! I would choose certainteed burnt seinna with the brown eavedrip.

Thanks.Burnt Sienna is a pretty color. Yes,the front of the gable has aluminum (?) covering it. The sides are not covered because they have buttresses?? and I didn’t want to cover that and detract from the style of the house. This is a complete tear-off of the roof and that’s why I am trying to do everything as correctly as possible. The back slope had shingles many years ago and I had water damage inside. Right now there is a black covering that had been torched on and I have not had leaks since that was applied. It’s now time to change all of this out and that’s why I am posing these questions.

The pitch is 2.25 x 12. I presented the info received on this site to the roofer who wants to install shingles. He is adamant that specs indicate that this method is correct. His company is very well regarded and I am struggling with wanting to believe him and the recommendations of all of the roofers who say don’t lay shingles. He has a very good sales ‘pitch!’

Salesmen aren’t always roofers, and don’t always know whats best for your home. (it goes both ways… often times the best roofer, is NOT a good salesman)

Aesthetically, what he is suggesting is 100% better, especially if you can see the roof from the back yard, or anywhere you may hang out, or drive by.

But that doesn’t make it the best system for that type of roof.

will it “work”? yes. will it leak? that’s a maybe. is it the BEST idea to put arch shingles on that roof? absolutely not.

Tinner did one with arcs on a 2 pitch about 11-12 years ago now. All I&W and hot dip nails, no problems so far.

The nails are really important. I would feel better with a low slope roofing material on that pitch, I like EPDM. If you decide to shingle it, it will likely be ok if a more corrosion resistant nail is used. Hot dip galvanized, or stainless steel if you want to be extra sure. Hot dips are about 60 bucks a box instead of 25. Stainless I’m sure are much more, wouldn’t surprise me if they were 200+ a box. It is not imperative that they use these nails on the whole roof, just that low slope area.

If ya go with shingles on the low slope dont use archs, use 3-tabs and self sealing peel & stick.

I would roof it with epdm most likley. we shingle a 3 pitch on occasion with 100% Grace I&W under it, dosnt matter what type of shingles. A 2 pitch I consider a flat roof and will not shingle.

What do you think of the Liberty 2 part roofing system? Roofer who suggests no shingles wants to use this system: self-adhered base sheet topped with a self-adhered granulated cap sheet. He suggested doing it in white. The roof with be a sienna brownish color. I’m not sure what is thought process is on that one, as Liberty offers different colors.

on the pitch of your roof there,arcs will pool water in each row,3-tabs wont.personally i wouldnt shingle it tho.

3 in 1 shingles are in no way better on a low slope roof than architecturals. In fact they would be weaker having less coverage at the channels.

[quote=“smi9999”]

3 in 1 shingles are in no way better on a low slope roof than architecturals. In fact they would be weaker having less coverage at the channels.[/quote]

I completely disagree with you, and am with kage on this one. 3-tab shingles shed water better than archs.

hate to break it to you guys but an ashphalt shingle is an ashphalt shingle. 3-tabs shed water just the same as a laminate. This isn’t rocket science :o

That’s what I would go with but definitely ask him to match the color of the Liberty to the Burnt Sienna as close as possible.

if the water key ways in 3tabs did not help water escape from under the shigles , at the sides were it enters, then they would not be there.

flat roof sytem 1st , 3tab 2nd, archs 3rd,.
me and others can make all three work just fine
on a 2/12.
especially that little booger.

gweedo.

[quote=“Agape”]

3 in 1 shingles are in no way better on a low slope roof than architecturals. In fact they would be weaker having less coverage at the channels.

I completely disagree with you, and am with kage on this one. 3-tab shingles shed water better than archs.[/quote]

Lets think about this. If water puddles up on the roof it is going to have about one inch to travel back up the roof before getting underneath the roofing every foot at the rain channels. One could argue this point with arcs as well at the seams every meter. just my oppinion. Id put rubber on a 2/12 anyway.