Low slope transition problem

Here is a pic of something I looked at today. It is leaking, presumably at the spot on the overhang where the two roof planes meet. Steeper portion is a 3 and other is 1.5. Not steep. I am thinking it needs a copper pan in this area, and probably a low slope roof material on the 1.5
Any ideas on how best to deal with this appreciated
thanks

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/8661/img_1257294817.jpg

Is that cap on the rake edge?

Hard to say without standing on it, but:

chimney = suspect

gutter dumping on low pitch = suspect

rotten wood area = suspect

no its shingles. That picture is misleading though.

[quote=“Agape”]Hard to say without standing on it, but:

chimney = suspect

gutter dumping on low pitch = suspect

rotten wood area = suspect[/quote]

Its a wall not a chimney, but that flashing need to be re-done. The rotten wood area is the problem area. That is where I am thinking coppper pan, bent onto both roofs and around the over hang. Crown a and rake board will be replaced. Other large pieces of step can be placed below this first piece once I get past the transition.

lol. I knew that was a wall. No idea why I said chimney.

And yea, sounds like u have a good plan.

Did you notice all the shingles with splits in them?

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/8661/img_1257301057.jpg

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/8661/img_1257301095.jpg

Yes, where did you get those pics?

You looked at the job?!?!

Took them yesterday.

How did you like the right end of the porch? :mrgreen:

That porch should never have been shingled at all. I’m not sure what whoever designed that was thinking. Those shingles, at a quick glance they look ok, have some granules and are mostly sealed, but what is up with that cracking?

Don’t know. See a lot of it around here. Those are real random on this job. Porch appears to be an add-on or an afterthought.

Did you inspect the slate at all?

I got a laugh out of that right edge. They cut the end shingles without flipping them over first. :shock: Make the pattern real wacky.

The tin roof behind the house is the one that the paint keeps peeling off of. I put it on many years ago. Paint is the only issue. Used TSP and othe rproducts on it. Some paint pros have painted it. Crap keeps coming off in 3-9 weeks.

No I didn’t. I wait for the home inspection before getting into those issues. There will always be a punchlist of some sort if you go in beforehand.

I work for many realtors and inspectors around here.

Tin roof? Is this the house behind this one or another building in their yard?

Man we need a chat room on here or something

As a rule, for instance, the inspector, without climbing on the roof will say the ridges need pointing. If I’ve been there the day before, and did all that, I still have to come back, meet with 1-3 peopel and sign off again. Or worse, have to climb back up to prove the work.

House behind this one. Black paint. About 16-18 years old. A tornado dipped down to it and made it rattle about 6 years ago. No damage. It then came down hard a block north.