Max roofing nailers

hey guys im a hitachi man my self thats what ive always bought and love. I buy my guns out of acme tools duluth because there are half the price then i pay for them here. the salesmen is pushing max and tells me its the best on the market and $50 less then the hitatchi. is this a load of bull? we dont get max in canada so i know nothing about them, some of the features sound cool and price seems right. anyone using them?? and how you guys like him? or should i stay with the hitachis

thanks so much guys

jason

Jay, I dont know how them Max Guns are now but in the late 90’s I swiched from Bostitch to Max & that was a big mistake. They were junk! Then in 2000 or 2001 I went to Hitachi & been with them ever since. Hitachi is the fastest gun out there, recycles the nails way faster than all the others. I’ve tried them all, with or with out the safety spring. Its Hitachi all the way!

thanks cory i love my hitatchis ive droped them into a lakes roofing boat houses, used them in -30c weather, and countless falls of roofs. The salesmen told me that the makers of hitatchi and bostich made this new gun and it was a roofers wet dream. i havent done much reasearch YET but he told me roofers were going nuts over these and he would take it back after if i didnt like it. I dont really believe it but its $50 less then hitatchi that he sells so less commision on his part. just trying to get as much info as possible as my brother is in duluth tomorrow to pick up my order. oh here the description acmetools.com/tools/MAX+USA+ … ing+Nailer
seems junky to me

How can you say the fastest thing out there if you haven’t touched them for 100 years?

We have all MAX roofers. Reliable with a depth adjuster dial that actually works. The Hitatchi’s air overload release or whatever its called is very annoying. I have a chain of 11 guns. 5 MAX, 2 Bostich, 1 Paslode, 1 Senco and 1 Hitatchi. The MAX guns are the only ones chosen on a daily basis.
IMO…
Bost. are very loud.
Pas is a nice gun but underpowered it seems on deck overs (1/2" over 1" barn boards).
Sen just feels weird.

thanks roofcheck hows maintenence on them? thinking of still buying two more hitatachis and one max to try it out. price of 1 hitatachi here $650. acme tools sells for $269 and free shipping to the border store which is a 45min drive, as i am canadain.max selling for around $210

A little history, MAX AIR made Bostitch guns back in the 90s. Stanley Tools took over production with the RN46, and they went downhill after that.
Max guns are the only gun to have an air filter.
I have had mine for just over 2 yrs now and haven’t had it serviced yet, no need. But I do clean the air filter out now and then.
Runs perfectly all year round, +40 in the summer and -20 in the winter, oil and go.
It can run at 80psi and still sink nails.

The ONLY issue I have with my MAX, it has no rubber stops to stop it from sliding on the roof, but that’s easily be fixed.
I will never buy anything else than a MAX gun from now on.

I also started with a Bostitch specifically the N12 (Best gun ever IMO) Retired the 12 and snagged a N45 Ridgerunner.Retired that and bought a Hitachi.I also agree about the positive performance of the nail gun.

I usually keep a couple new ones in the event one goes down for some reason.And that was about a year ago the guns are still in their boxes unopened waiting so patiently for the others to fail.Hahahahaha

I am very interested in a Max and have been for a long time.But with the reliability of Hitachi it makes it hard to switch.

HA HA HA Very funny on the 100 years remark. Its true though Hitachis are the #1 choice. Even if they go off the roof its usually the basket that brakes. Just keep spare baskets in the van.

I have 4 RN46’s and I have 3 of them serviced twice now as the transfer clip that moves the nails to the chamber keeps breaking.

At what point does a guy buy new guns? I am acually thinking of buying new one now and was looking at the hitachi.

Jake something I have done in the past which has worked pretty well is this.Before a gun is completely worn out rendering it useless I buy a new one.That way if for some reason my new one goes down I know in my toolbox is one that is still able to function.

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]

Jake something I have done in the past which has worked pretty well is this.Before a gun is completely worn out rendering it useless I buy a new one.That way if for some reason my new one goes down I know in my toolbox is one that is still able to function.[/quote]

yup nothing like working on a sunday or in a rural area and your gun or compreser piles up and no back up

I try to buy all the same guns as well because then you have plenty of spare parts. Just like rechargable tools, I try to get all the same that take the same batteries & chargers. Just simplify.

I have max and bostitch guns, and personally only use the max. Little lighter, good depth adjustment and don’t feel so toy-ish as the newer bostitch. Loading nails into the bostitch is slightly faster, however, due to the one piece mechanism, their both very good guns. I’m also in Canada, and the Hitachi guns are very expensive here in Ontario. Any chance theres a fastek near you jay? Chain of fastener stores, has the best price on guns here, anyway.

I made the switch to Max super roofer about 2 years ago and they work great I was rebuilding or replacing Bostitch twice a year

I change my trucks air filter every 5000km. I clean my dirt bikes air filter before every ride. I periodically clean out my lawnmowers air filter for improved performance. Change my furnace air filter every 3 months. Heck, I even clean the air filter on my wifes vacuum.

Why on earth use a tool powered by air, that has no air filter??

sayin…

I’ve been using max for the last few years. I have Hitachi’s, bostitch and deWalts also but always use the Max. Hitachi’s are my second choice but seem nose heavy and the trigger pull is harder. Might not seem like an issue to young guys but with arthritis in the fingers and wrists the balanced gun and light trigger helps. Has never needed maintenance either.

@ Demon
As far as the gun sliding due to no pads, just lay it on your hose. I was roofing a 10/12 last month and thought of taking a pic of this for you as I remember you posting it on other threads. Works for me

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]I’ve been using max for the last few years. I have Hitachi’s, bostitch and deWalts also but always use the Max. Hitachi’s are my second choice but seem nose heavy and the trigger pull is harder. Might not seem like an issue to young guys but with arthritis in the fingers and wrists the balanced gun and light trigger helps. Has never needed maintenance either.

@ Demon
As far as the gun sliding due to no pads, just lay it on your hose. I was roofing a 10/12 last month and thought of taking a pic of this for you as I remember you posting it on other threads. Works for me[/quote]

You’re not still using those heavy rubber hoses are you?

If you are go get yourself one of the newer lightweight hoses they will save your aching shoulder and elbow.

Some guys just put the rubber bands from the coils on the gun to keep it from sliding, just make sure you’re not blocking the exhaust.

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]@ Demon
As far as the gun sliding due to no pads, just lay it on your hose. I was roofing a 10/12 last month and thought of taking a pic of this for you as I remember you posting it on other threads. Works for me[/quote]

As Axiom said, I use those skinny 3/8" hose, the gun can rest on it if under a 6/12 pitch. When I did bring that up before, someone said use the elastics from the coils, which is a decent idea, except for the fact that even the elastics are made in China and they don’t last long lol. I just took some “Shoe Glue” and put a big glob on the metal bumpers, works like a charm.

I use the Parker 1/4" with push on fittings. I like to run my hose over the ridge (or through the ridge on new construction) so I’m not playing tug-o-war with it.

I would bet there is no decking. I bet its space sheethed or fastened to purlings. The most reasonably priced way would be to screw plywood over that roof system & then install a new roof system from there. Metal roofing (steel) is cheaper per square than a shingle system so I would recommend that.

ThL Smart Phone ThL W8 ThL W7