Metal shingles roof contractor installation problems

I’m paying this supposedly experienced, with all certifications etc contractor, to replace my roof, with metal shingles.
He installed a paper membrane all over the roof, vertical 1x2 boards, all looked fine so far.

We actually had some big rains so he stopped the work, and no issues I saw with the roof, membrane only, no shingles installed yet.
Now he started installing the horizontal boards, where he’s supposed to attach the actual tiles.
But made a mistake measuring, so pulled all the horizontal boards out, and started doing it again.

Now the membrane should be waterproof as far as I understand. but he left hundreds of little holes since he pulled out the boards.
When I point it out to him he acts like it’s no big deal.
We even had more rain, and I can see some - not a lot - of leakage now.

What should I do? The work is covered by warranty, but he didn’t even finish it and there are problems. Should I ask him to rip it all out and reinstall the membrane?

I’m extremely upset as you can image. Metal shingles are double the price and I’m paying the extra $$ so I don’t have more headache with the roof.

[quote=“gerolamo”]I’m paying this supposedly experienced, with all certifications etc contractor, to replace my roof, with metal shingles.
He installed a paper membrane all over the roof, vertical 1x2 boards, all looked fine so far.

We actually had some big rains so he stopped the work, and no issues I saw with the roof, membrane only, no shingles installed yet.
Now he started installing the horizontal boards, where he’s supposed to attach the actual tiles.
But made a mistake measuring, so pulled all the horizontal boards out, and started doing it again.

Now the membrane should be waterproof as far as I understand. but he left hundreds of little holes since he pulled out the boards.
When I point it out to him he acts like it’s no big deal.
We even had more rain, and I can see some - not a lot - of leakage now.

What should I do? The work is covered by warranty, but he didn’t even finish it and there are problems. Should I ask him to rip it all out and reinstall the membrane?

I’m extremely upset as you can image. Metal shingles are double the price and I’m paying the extra $$ so I don’t have more headache with the roof.[/quote]

“Supposedly experienced” is the operative phrase here. And what in the world is a “paper” membrane? :roll:

An experienced metal roofer would have known the batten spacing. They may have experience in metal roofing, but direct to deck systems are different than roof systems that require battens.

What product are they installing and what do you mean by “paper membrane”?

I have no idea how that 'membrane" is actually called. But it’s a sheet of some sort of plastic, that sits directly on the plywood on the roof - and below the tiles.

If its I&W shield and your location requires it, then I think you may have a valid issue. If your talking about just regular underlayment, felt or synthetic, then I wouldn’t worry about it. A properly installed metal roof does not rely on the underlayment as waterproofing once the roof is installed. It sounds like its a stone coated metal, Decra, Gerard, Metro, ect because you talk about battens (1x4 counter battens up the rafters and 2x2 battens about every 14.5" up the roof deck to the ridge).

Hard to say for sure without a pic or more details like product and your location.

I wouldn’t think too much about it as long as he seems experienced, competent, and honest. If you have interior damage, more than likely he should pay for it. It was probably just a minor mistake and he is doing the right thing to correct it. But if other odd things popup, get skeptical and interrogate. I’m never too bothered to explain to a customer why we do things like we do.

What type of roof? I’ll be installing a Decra roof tomorrow, direct to deck though.

If it’s paper I wouldn’t worry about it. Not unless you see big holes through the roof. Common practice to nail boards into the roof for safety, jacks, materials ect. Common practice.

Unless you see big hole where you can see the sheeting from the ground. But if it’s just spikes aka nails should be fine. The roofing system doesn’t rely on the underpayment all that much.

It’s kinda like a worst case scenario type thing. The metal roof should withstand anything and will outlast us all.

Thank you guys,
I guess I needed to ease my mind a little bit.
The roof is finished, I’ll just have to wait for the next big rain and check the result :slight_smile:

A good contrector know how metal roof enhance the value and beauty. :slight_smile: