Mixing organic and fiberglass reinforced shingles in massive roof patch?

Good day, roofing pros.

I have a situation wherein Allstate is pushing for a massive patch job on my hail damaged roof. Every slope is damaged, some elevations moreso than others of course. The current shingle is a long discontinued organic-reinforced shingle, and the “patches” will be fiberglass reinforced.

So far Allstate are agreeing to replace one slope, and the remainder “repaired” (ha) with 98 fiberglass patches on my 13 y.o. organic roof. That averages to 17 patches on each slope, not counting bump-outs and “bird boxes”. And it is estimated by my roofer and an independent inspector that replacement of all impacted shingles would require at least 300 patches, and possibly more.

I obtained a letter from GAF tech stating that my current shingle should not be intermixed with a fiberglass shingle on my roof because of entirely different…nearly everything. No warrantee on anything. Makes sense. This constitutes “manufacturer’s installation instructions”.

Rotten aesthetics and warranty issues aside, I can see no way to remove damaged shingles without damaging adjacent shingles (brittleness), at any rate. Saw that happen with mine own eyes when the roofter removed a shingle for me to send to ITEL.

Further, mixing these shingles being what I would call an improper installation in view of GAF’s instructions, and being as “manufacturer’s instructions” in installing materials are considered CODE (according to my county building inspector), such a roof would thereby not meet code -and all the future issues that implies.

2 different roofers have already told me they would not touch such a job.

Any thoughts here on the absurdity of so many patches?

I’ve seen talk elsewhere of an engineer’s report carrying great weight. What sort of engineer would assess a roof in view of what I’m going up against here?

I’m going to the mat with this. Any professional musings appreciated!

Request a new adjuster as this is a telltale sign of little claims experience and combative entrenchment. Every insurance company has an ombudsman as a last resort for disputes in case things get tenuous. CC your request to the claims manager, your insurance broker and the insurance company’s ombudsman. Watch your wording but imply this is preferred over imminent litigation arising from supporting third party reports questioning the validity of such a remedy. That will catch their attention.

3 Likes

Thank you, Ivoman. You are correct that both the desk adjuster and her manager are inexperienced -and sullen into the bargain, said inexperience evidenced by their recommended solution to the problem. (They want that bonus badly, too.) Allstate’s inspector was also a joke. He reported and photographed no hail damage. I hired my own HAAG certified inspector, who photographically blew fraudster Allstate inspector out of the water.
It has been an interesting experience. There will be no mixed materials on my roof.

1 Like

Allstate = claim denied. I love screamin adjusters!

1 Like