Moderator discussion continued

Rather than keep reminding me of the ridiculous spam on the other thread, I am starting a new thread to deal with the lack of forum moderation. Moderators, this is nothing personal or a slam against the forum. I just think more attention to this could improve this site. I feel people will get frustrated and leave if there is not better attention to the spam issue.

Of course, it would be good to have the moderators weigh in on this issue. If they just ignore this thread, then we will have no progress on this spam issue. Having seen many other times where we complained of this, I guess I am still hopeful because this is a great forum in many ways.

I am glad that others see the issue the same way. The lack of adequate moderators has certainly hurt this site, and it will just get worse if we don’t do something.

Thanks to Jason for volunteering to help moderate roofing.com. I second his generous offer to help out. While new to this forum, I would also be willing to back him up, as I am also a veteran of many forums, if that will help with this spam mess here.

I would help out as well. Like I said, this site is a great resource for roofers and HO and its just starting to get away from that. I would like to keep it that way.

I agree having a more active moderator would help out, and Jason over the past year that I have been part of the forum has been a very active member and I would back him up on that.

Well, my offer still stands. I’m here every day, and am familiar with many different forum software. Have set up, maintained, and moderated several forums in the past, and would be more than happy to help out around here to try and help control the spam, and keep unneeded comments/garbage out of the forum.

I love this place, and dont want to see it lose members, and traffic decrease because of a few bad seeds.

Who are the current mods?

just askin’

johne5

[quote=“johne5”]Who are the current mods?

just askin’

johne5[/quote]

DonL, and Japoax i believe are the only ones.

the reason why you dont know, is because they really never post anymore.

No question, the site could use active moderation. It is presently so diluted with spam and various crap that is distracting to the user.

If they site owners are serious about the site, they also need to do some serious maintenance. There are numerous features that won’t work for me or haven’t in the past.

If you want DonL to post a reply, make a thread that is about commercial flats. Single ply arguments always turn him up.

lol. especially TPO

How long do you figure before a moderator sees this thread?

Hi Guys,

I already informed Don L with your moderation concerns please wait for further announcements.

Thanks a lot .

Thanks!

All i can say is i have not had a problem that could be solved without asking a question. People are going to spam we all know that. My question is simple what as a group can we do to help this community?

honestly, nothing. the only real problems here, are people constantly spamming the forums, and wasting valuable bandwidth. that can only be controlled by a moderator who has the power to delete spam posts asap, and ban members who abuse the forum.

There is always something…

Wow, and you guys weren’t even talking about single ply and I am responding…

There is a very thin line about what is spam and what is not. We’ll try to be a little more heavy handed on posts that don’t stay to the main idea of this forum. If you think a post is bad…the best thing is not to respond to it. By not responding, the post drops down in the forum. If you keep posting to a bone headed idea, it stays at the top.

I’ve been in this business for over 40 years and really like having you guys post your ideas. It isn’t an open forum if I keep butting in so I watch and wait for you to help. If any of you guys visited this site in the beginning (a lot of years ago), it was all about me answering questions from home owners and contractors. I called it “Ask Don” and covered most of the subjects I see being asked today. This is much more fun.

This is good advice

the lack of good moderators on this forum has been the reason why many have left.

[quote=“donl”]Wow, and you guys weren’t even talking about single ply and I am responding…

There is a very thin line about what is spam and what is not. We’ll try to be a little more heavy handed on posts that don’t stay to the main idea of this forum. If you think a post is bad…the best thing is not to respond to it. By not responding, the post drops down in the forum. If you keep posting to a bone headed idea, it stays at the top.

I’ve been in this business for over 40 years and really like having you guys post your ideas. It isn’t an open forum if I keep butting in so I watch and wait for you to help. If any of you guys visited this site in the beginning (a lot of years ago), it was all about me answering questions from home owners and contractors. I called it “Ask Don” and covered most of the subjects I see being asked today. This is much more fun.[/quote]

I think this is a great forum or I would have looked at it and left. However, there are numerous spam posts from the same users, which serious forum users resent for the time and focus it wastes. I suspect that those same clowns who are too cheap to advertise use aliases, too. Getting rid of the spam posts will only help the caliber of members here.

A good moderator should delete all that mess and ban those IPs. Jason volunteered to help, and I think that is a good idea. Are you taking him up on his offer?

We are grateful for you running this site, and I suspect it is lucrative for you to get all the advertising revenue here, as well.