My new roof shingles are not laying flat

Just had my roof replaced completely. However, I found some shingle pieces are not installed flat. I’ve attached a picture to show. I don’t know much about roofing, but wouldn’t this make it easier to be lifted by wind? It’s been 2 months after the new roof installation, and no sign of improving.
Is this going to be an issue, or am I simply being too picky?

Honestly, I think you are being a bit picky but if it’s something you are really than concerned about its a relatively easy fix. Let me know if you want me to explain how its done.

1 Like

No big deal…it’s a “tight” shingle… definitely worthy of a warranty call.

If it’s worth it to you to post on the forum about it, it’s probably worth you giving the company a call. Unless you paid bottom dollar for your roof… then I guess you got what you paid for lol

its not a major issue but give your roofing company a call im sure they will replace them for you if your under some kind of warranty.

Standard asphalt shingles feature an adhesive strip that softens during warm weather, especially when the sun’s rays hit the roof directly. When the shingles heat up, they become flexible and the adhesive bonds the shingles in place. Before new shingles seal down, they can look a little lumpy and uneven, but once the roof gets hot enough, they should soften, flatten and form a permanent seal. Sometimes this problem is more apparent on north-facing roof slopes that don’t heat up sufficiently for the shingles to seal until summer. Usually this isn’t a major issue, but if you live in an area that is very windy, your roofer can apply temporary adhesive to prevent the wind from catching the edge of the unsealed shingles and blowing them off.

Forget about that minor shingle issue, that is being way too picky, which by the way I am! What you should concern yourself with is the fact that they didn’t use ridge shingles on your home, but rather just cut and placed cheap 3 tab shingles as ridge. This is a technique used by sloppy roofers that don’t have any pride in their work.

1 Like

I don’t think those are cut up 3 tabs, they look like gaf “seal-a-ridge” to me.

2 Likes

Hmm is it maybe just the angle from which you are looking at it?

Reilly Roofing and Gutters

Yeah thats seal a ridge, there isnt a 3tab that matchs the colour that close.

Either way I don’t consider it a shortcut to use 3-tabs for cap, it takes longer because they have to be cut up.

It’s not the best practice though and the cap that goes with the system is the best way to go.

Actual cap shingles are of much higher quality than most 3-tabs.

2 Likes

My new roof was done about 3 months ago with OC Duration shingles. This is a recent picture after many days in the high 80s here in Florida. The roofer says the shingles were defective and they have put a claim in with OC but I think they weren’t installed properly. The bad part was at the end of the job and the crew was rushing to finish. I may be getting jerked around by the roofer and OC. Any opinions?

It looks like a really bad overlay and also looks like shingles are jammed together too tight. The pipe flashing detail also looks bad. Was this installed over an existing roof?

Layover was my first thought also. 100% chance the shingles are shot full of holes. Why this is even attempted is beyond me. Flashing is definitely going to leak…

Thats not going to lay flat. I agree, either the most fishmouths on a roof in the history of roofing, wrinkled underlayment, bad plank decking, or shingles that sat, 5 pallets high for 5yrs. …or just a hangover, Monday, run lot at the plant.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! It was completely stripped and not over old shingles. The roofing company hasn’t actually come out to look at it. From my pictures they say they have put in a claim to have OC pay for a complete re-install of the roof due to defective shingle manufacturing. They are coming out to take sample off the roof to send to OC. I am waiting to see what happens. Here is another picture.

was it put on over wet organic felt?

1 Like

That’s what it looks like to me.

No over Rhino synthetic see attached:

If it was put over felt, the wrinkles would all horizontal.
If it was ice and water shield the wrinkles would all be vertical.

This roofing has wrinkles going in every direction.
I really dont see a flat shingle on the roof.
Every shingle has a bend or a dent in it going in opposite directions.
And yes, wrinkled synthetic( that has no pattern) is wrinkled in every direction because the roofer didnt think it was important to install it flat or even know how to.
There can be No wrinkles in the underlayment.
And if so, due to weather conditions or by negligent workmanship, the wrinkles must be “sliced” before you install the shingle over it.
If roofers continue to ignore or deny this detail,
Customers will eventually call them on it and make them re-do it again.