My roofer "broke up" with me. :(

So the only roofer that’s given me a written estimate on my re-roof job broke up with me the other day via email. He said they got another big commercial job and were just too busy to do the job.

So far I’ve had 2 guys never return my call (called them both 2x) - 1 flat out tell me he couldn’t do it until next year sometime - 1 break up with me after giving me the estimate - and 2 promise me estimates last week but still nothing from either.

Are roofers just that busy? Should I keep calling around or just hold out that these last 2 guys come through with bids? I’m a pretty easy guy to get along with but I’m running out of ideas on how to get a roofer interested in my job.

Personally I can’t imagine simply never calling a customer back - busy or not - my business wouldn’t last long if I operated like that.

Bill

I can’t imagine roofing contractors bein THAT busy.

Where are you? How big a job is your roof (dollars-wise)?

About 25 minutes North of Pittsburgh, PA - the only bid I’ve got so far was $7500.

I’ve called 1 Big Dog, Huge roofer in Pittsburgh - no return call.

I’ve called 3 Middle of the Road size guys - 1 gave a bid and then broke up with me, 1 is supposedly sending me a bid, 1 is supposed to come out on Oct. 5th to have a look.

I’ve called 3 Small size guys - no calls back at all from 2 of them - 1 said not until next year sometime.

I’ve called 1 FlyByTheSeatOfHisPants local yocal that’s worked on my Slate Roof here at my office because he’s one of the few left around me that does Slate. He is supposed to get back to me - still nothing.

Maybe it’s me… :wink:

Don’t discount that as a possibility. I don’t know you, so I don’t know if this applies to you at all, but some homeowners you can tell right away you want nothing to do with.

Then again, you may have given them your address and they took one look at your house on GoogleMaps and decided they want nothing to do with your roof.

Then again, they may all just be Pittsburgh Steeler fans in mourning, and don’t want to leave the house. :mrgreen:

Perhaps it is me.

I asked if they had General Liability Insurance and Workers Comp and if they used subs or not - and if so if the subs had the same or better GL and WC as them - I told them I’d like a CoI from them prior to starting work. I also asked that their estimate show exactly what they plan do to so I can compare everyone equally.

I only had a chance to ask that of the two guys that actually showed up. My other contacts of “I have a CertainTeed Organic roof that’s failing and I need a quote on a re-roof” have not been returned for the most part.

Don’t really think those requests are too out of line - are they?

Well you are asking the right questions. I would just hold off on them till they get to the house and you have their attention. They should be able to provide that stuff easily. Just make sure that you aren’t asking for too much tho as far as insurances. I don’t know how PA is but here I. California we only truly need workers comp and a bond. General liability is only required on commercial jobs or big jobs. Most residential jobs don’t need it plus it’s expensive so not all contractors have it. I know I dont. A bond and workers comp should be plenty. I would keep calling because it sounds like you’ve called nothing but flakes and trust me you don’t want flakes doing your roof. If you think your having issues now…you don’t want to know what you’ll have if they manage to do your roof and something is wrong. You’ll never get it fixed. Stick to your guns and find a person you trust and is qualified

Are you calling ones that somebody referred? Ones that you know their work? Or just numbers from the phone book? That can make a difference too, in both of your attitudes.

What happens if you - for example - do something such as hit a wire during a tear off and start a fire that burns down the customers house? Who pays for that? Even if their homeowners pays the loss - I’d imagine they’ll subrogate against the contractor responsible - and w/o General Liability - where’s the money coming from? I don’t know CA law but here in PA contractors now have to be licensed and provide proof of General Liability to get their license.

I’ve actually called a few that have a good rep in my area just from word of mouth - and I called the others via links off of GAF, CertainTeed and OC’s websites.

The part about not needing GL is BS. You would be out of your mind to hire a roofer that doesn’t have GL Insurance. In fact, it is wise to require that you be named to the policy and receive that in writing prior to the job starting.

Wow…just got another quote for my roof (was by a contractor off the GAF website link for contractors).

30 year Timberlines with the Golden Pledge warranty - $11,673 vs. the prior estimate of $7,500 from the other guy - who also was off the GAF website - and also included the Golden Pledge.

Did the first guy miss something on my 2300 sq. ft. job - or does this new guy just think money pours out my butt and I walk around in circles all day long picking it up?

[quote=“BillK01”]

What happens if you - for example - do something such as hit a wire during a tear off and start a fire that burns down the customers house? Who pays for that? Even if their homeowners pays the loss - I’d imagine they’ll subrogate against the contractor responsible - and w/o General Liability - where’s the money coming from? I don’t know CA law but here in PA contractors now have to be licensed and provide proof of General Liability to get their license.[/quote]

Different places have different laws. Here in Texas a license is not required, so anyone with a pick-up truck and a ladder can be a roofer.

For example, I am bidding a 41 square residence with 8:12 and 12:12 slopes, but I found out a couple of Hispanic women measured it up also. I know I will not beat their price, because they won’t have insurance like I do, their shingles may or may not be stolen, and they may or may not take the tear-off debris to a legitimate dump site. Oh well, if the homeowners go with them I hope they get what they’re paying for! :stuck_out_tongue: