Nail stripper

Where can I get one of these dispensers?

I only get the deer in the headlights look from the personnel at the local home improvement store when I ask about it.

I’m hand nailing my roof and this gadget would really speed things up for me.

Regards… Mike

A 10 second Google search returned:

nailstripper.com

• Just an fyi, I hand nailed my whole life and have nailed over 16sq in one day. I know people that could hand nail over 20sq. The key is not a nail stripper, it’s learning how to finger nails. Practice by grabbing handfuls of nails out of your pouch and one by one putting them into nailing position and drop them into a bowl or something. The only use I found a stripper for was when nailing cedar shingles by hand.

- YouTube)

Ahhh… so a fancy tool does not a roofer make!

I’ll take your advice then and work on improving my nail handling dexterity.

I noticed that the guy in the video was not using a roofer’s hatchet. I purchased one of those, but it felt too bulky in hand so I returned it in favor of the comfort of my old claw hammer (a little smaller even than the one he was using). Perhaps my arm is just too weak for something heavier.

Thanks Tar Monkey, for taking the time to explain this to me.

Regards… Mike

[quote=“turbogoat”]Ahhh… so a fancy tool does not a roofer make!

I’ll take your advice then and work on improving my nail handling dexterity.

I noticed that the guy in the video was not using a roofer’s hatchet. I purchased one of those, but it felt too bulky in hand so I returned it in favor of the comfort of my old claw hammer (a little smaller even than the one he was using). Perhaps my arm is just too weak for something heavier.

Thanks Tar Monkey, for taking the time to explain this to me.

Regards… Mike[/quote]

Lifetime handnailer here too, I use a 14oz drywall hatchet. It’s what I learned with, anything else “feels” wrong.

Np. I prefer the heavier Estwing myself, just set and swat. The hatchet is nice because if the contractor is giving you a hard time about being paid you can chase him around the truck with it.

The estwing I use has a longer handle, more head speed. Also the nail puller is in a better spot, great for getting the nails out of step under j-channel. :smiley:

I once used a wood handle Plumb Hatchet until the finger impressions that developed in it were so deep that it looked like the handle bar grips on a bicycle. One day as I was banging on shingles, it finally broke in half. :cry:

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]A 10 second Google search returned:

nailstripper.com

• Just an fyi, I hand nailed my whole life and have nailed over 16sq in one day. I know people that could hand nail over 20sq. The key is not a nail stripper, it’s learning how to finger nails. Practice by grabbing handfuls of nails out of your pouch and one by one putting them into nailing position and drop them into a bowl or something. The only use I found a stripper for was when nailing cedar shingles by hand.

- YouTube)

wow 16 sq? one day. how many hours. thats alot of banging. never seen anyone hand nail before around here. its a dying teqnique. sadly i cannot handnail. my boss can. mind you hes almost 60.

16 sq roughly 56 bundles. that new stuff with tear off or helper labourer throwing you shingles. no ropes i assume.

suck nowadays we have to be tied off everything and i mean everything. by the time we are nailing theres about five ropes feeder lins ropes and lines going everywhere.

man we even have to tie off on flat walkable garages. even reroofs. we have 4000 oh and s officers now in my area. 4000. there used to be 7 total for the area. its insane now.[/quote]

this may help or not help. its a trick i learned from doing small repairs and we dont hand nail here and i only had ever had coil nails.

so first of all buy a box of coils. roofing nails.

put a couple in your pouch or whatever.

rip a long peice of the coil.

twist the last nail on the coil to its faceing the other direction.

place the nail where you want to hit and boom. one hit and it will go in and you wont hit you fingers. gives you that extra few inches and you can smash that nail down hard without ever coming close to your hand.

the twist the next nail. easy. kinda quik it you are fast.

i assume you are not a full time roofer and it will take alot of time to develope the skills the dudes here have. but anyone can twist a coild nail and hit it safely into the shingle.

Many years ago, me and the other guys on the crew helped my Dad chalk the lines and load an apartment roof with shingles late one evening. He wanted to see how many shingles he could hand nail in one day. There were two straight sides on the building, 4 nails per shingle, 4/12 slope, 32 square building. He started early the next morning and when the sun went down that day the building was finished. No one went up there but him.

A few days later, I set out to beat his record. I was on a 35 sq. building with all the same circumstances except this building was a 4 sider with two walls. I came up short at 28 2/3 sq., never made it that high again and never will. Good job Dad. You da man!

[quote=“LuckyChucky”]Many years ago, me and the other guys on the crew helped my Dad chalk the lines and load an apartment roof with shingles late one evening. He wanted to see how many shingles he could hand nail in one day. There were two straight sides on the building, 4 nails per shingle, 4/12 slope, 32 square building. He started early the next morning and when the sun went down that day the building was finished. No one went up there but him.

A few days later, I set out to beat his record. I was on a 35 sq. building with all the same circumstances except this building was a 4 sider with two walls. I came up short at 28 2/3 sq., never made it that high again and never will. Good job Dad. You da man![/quote]

probally wont see that again.

where i work we have to be tied off 100 percent of the time. So many safety rules we have to follow now.

hull harness. ropes. t shirt. hard hats on the lowers and even safety glasses.

funny i see these videos on youtube of tbe fastest roofer…lol None of the these guys on youtube have proper safety. no ropes. on flat 4/12s.

id like to see fastest roofer on 12/12 with his harness. rope. jacks. yes we have to use jacks aswell. mandatory. then id like to see the fastes roofer.

not this three tab nail anywhere on the shingle 4 nails stuff i see.

we have to nail 6 nails now. one one each edge and double the middle nails. otherwise manufacturers wo lnt honour the warrantys.

the old days are gone.