Nails in the yard

What is the best way to pick up nails in the yard?

My local rental firm says their magnet sweeper is useless for roofing nails. I don’t know that I have any nails in the yard, as I used a tarp, but would like to be safe.

I’ve considered just going over it on hands and knees.

we tarp the yard, then we use a magnet. magnet works good as long as you have the wheels adjusted so it doesn’t drag the grass, (knocks nails off magnet). if we run across picky customer, we will use magnet then use a rake in the yard and run magnet again. rake loosens nail that are down deep in grass. nothing wrong with a nail rake(magnet). most roofers have several

What about mowing the yard close before I make a pass? Does that help or hurt? It has rained hard since the tear-off.

The height thing, as well as the rake, make sense. Not that I would think of them on my own.

thanks for sharing,

Peter

mower + nails = shrapnel

Good point. I’ll wear heavy boots and jeans when mowing. I’ve been trying to mow real close throughout the project.

mowing only helps if done before hand. nails make great window breakers

Slowly, I am getting the point. Yes, my mowing close was beforehand. Current plan:

1. No mowing at first.
  2. Run the magnet sweeper, set above the grass.
  3. Rake.
  4. Run the magent again.
  5. Eventually, I’ll have to mow the yard.
  6. Repeat the magnet/rake/magnet job.

go to roofing supply and buy a proper magnet

is anyone else thinking ,how big is this project that you have to mow the lawn multiple times while your doing the roof

peterK …yes absolutely the best way to pick up the nails is on hands and knees…actually it is better to low crawl the whole yard to ensure you don’t miss any.

1 Like

For $10/day, the rental sweeper is getting it. So far, with very little effort, I picked up a pound in an area I thought was well tarped. In fact, I am even picking up nails from old projects. The confusing thing was one of the rental yard clerks said I would not like the sweeper’s results - he was simply wrong.

Adjustable height would be nice. This sweeper is real low, with fixed height. It is hard to push through the grass, and the grass knocks off the found fasteners. For me, what works is to listen for hits, then immediately stop and pocket the findings.

I don’t see that I can find the fasteners on hands and knees.

Thanks for mentioning that most roofers have several, and to try the roofing supply. Those comments gave me confidence it would work.

Sorry couldn’t help myself…use a magnet …be through…go over it multiple times…use a leaf rake after you go over it once to bring to the surface any nails that may be embedded deeper into the grass…this very important step of the job especially if you have children who play in the yard…this is probably one of the most common homeowner complaints…I have put on dozens and dozens of roofs that turned out perfect and got reamed out by more than one homeowner because they found 5 or 6 nails in their yard. It’s a pet peeve of mine.

They may be assuming that the nails are aluminum.

An old neighbor tore off his roof and scattered both our yards with aluminum nails, he rented a roller magnet and it didn’t grab a single nail. I ended up cleaning my yard basically on hands and knees. His yard still has nails all over the place.

I am with Vic, how dang big is this project? My goodness, most days I see my homeowners leaving for work and I come back that night for a check. I can’t imagine anything else.

I guess, like any business, the rental guy gets reamed out when there are complaints. Probably the many happy customers drop off the tool and simply go on their way. So far I am up to 3 lbs., and do plan to try raking.

You guys really know this business. Raking turned up another 1/4 pound of fasteners - 66 nails and one Sam Adams bottle cap.

The total haul was 4 lbs. of nails. After the close mowing, I picked up the last 46 fasteners of my effort.

The magnet I used was heavy, about a yard wide, and fixed close to the ground. The bending over to pick up each fastener off the magnet, one at a time, was demanding labor. I can see how not only adjustable height would be good, but also a smaller magnet for around bushes by the house.

Thanks again for the excellent advice; my yard is better for it.

Peterk, heres a fool proof method. Go to the beach.Look around for the old man swinging a frying pan on the end of a broom handle.Throw a bunch of pennys in your yard and let him have at it.good luck-Ray

LOL

[quote=“peterk”]For $10/day, the rental sweeper is getting it. So far, with very little effort, I picked up a pound in an area I thought was well tarped. In fact, I am even picking up nails from old projects. The confusing thing was one of the rental yard clerks said I would not like the sweeper’s results - he was simply wrong.

Adjustable height would be nice. This sweeper is real low, with fixed height. It is hard to push through the grass, and the grass knocks off the found fasteners. For me, what works is to listen for hits, then immediately stop and pocket the findings.

I don’t see that I can find the fasteners on hands and knees.

Thanks for mentioning that most roofers have several, and to try the roofing supply. Those comments gave me confidence it would work.[/quote]

Home Depot sells them for $15.