Please tell me what is wrong with my plan (or what would you do)
Our house has 2/12 to 3/12 pitch shingled poorly insulated roof (leaking around chimneys and skylight) that we decided to change and built higher pitch roof on top of existing structure.
Part of the roof (25 by 60 ft.) has a regular framing with plywood decking and soffits/vents.
Another part (2535) is 26 tongue and groove decking with inch old insulation board (that is going away) and shingles nailed straight through it.
We don’t want to change anything (or much) inside the house and we are going to build new framing on top of existing roof. My biggest questions are regarding T&G part of house - right now there is no ventillation - we will probably install 6-8 inches of foam insulation right on top of T&G and have vents/soffits installed.
Does this whole plan makes sense ? How much you think it might end up costing me ?
Thanks in advance.
You have sufficient slope, so why are you trying to rebuild your house? Instead of changing the roof by building another one over the existing, why not install a new roof system suited for the existing conditions and slope? Unless you are expanding your house, or are doing the change for aesthetic reasons, I would leave the existing structure alone. JMHO
This is Midwest and insulation right now is totally inadequate. Also, ventillation on T&G part is non-existent. All that causes very high heating/aircond. bills, short life span for shingles, there is some rot in wood T&G, etc. My neighboor did a similar project on exactly the same house 10 years ago and never had problems since.
So, it is basically the piece of mind that higher pitch / good ventillation gives me that I am after.
not bad reasoning for why you are doing it.
I would suggest consulting a structural engineer before you actually do anything to make sure there are no issues with doing this.
yeah who ever told you that you dont have enough slope
bla bla bla , well , you need to stop listening to this person.
get a good roofer to put a good roof on your low slope and be down with it.
if you still heel bent on buildin somethin then do a 2 story addition.
wont cost much more than restructering your roof deck.
gweedo, my heating bills are over $400 a month (most of the heat goes “through the roof”). You seem to be in Florida and insulation, ice dams, rotting framing are probably not much of occurence there.
Again, this is Midwest and I realize that this is bigger investment upfront but want to do it right. Plus I don’t need a bigger house, just a house that would not have leaking, rotting and uninsulated roof.
[quote=“datadriven”]gweedo, my heating bills are over $400 a month (most of the heat goes “through the roof”). You seem to be in Florida and insulation, ice dams, rotting framing are probably not much of occurence there.
Again, this is Midwest and I realize that this is bigger investment upfront but want to do it right. Plus I don’t need a bigger house, just a house that would not have leaking, rotting and uninsulated roof.[/quote]
Still, there are other options. I’d need to see some photos, but you can insulate and re-roof without having to re-frame your roof.
I will try to post some pictures, but basically what I have now is “hot roof” (no attic of any kind) over 80% of the house and small attic (max about 1.5 ft. high) over remaining 20%. Reframing at higher pitch would allow me to insulate and have “cold roof”. We are planning to stay in the house, so short-term fixes with higher longer-term costs are not good for us.
yeah ya know we just hang out under some palm frons down here in ol sunny fla, stil, you are tryin to make a slope roof work when you need to put a flat roof product cause your roof is closer to flat than it is sloped.
im just sayin your talkin about a lot of work.