Need advice on how to inspect roofing job (I'm a homeowner)

I posted earlier in the insurance topic section and received great advice so thought I would pose my question here. I am having a new roof put on (asphalt shingles and gayco (?) on flat parts of roof) due to hailstorm damage. The roofing crew showed up today to do the job. It is a reputable company so it’s not that I don’t trust them but can someone help direct me to a “checklist” of things I should look over when job is complete? I won’t be getting up on the roof but I’d like to know the basics of what I should ask or check to make sure job is done complete, i.e. roof vents, drip edge placement, etc. I know this is last minute but would appreciate any help!

Sherry

Make sure that they get a permit for the job and that an inspector comes out to check the roof. If you feel that you need a checklist then you may have hired the wrong contractor. If a price seems to good to be then it almost always is. Make sure you get warranty so that if there are any issues down the road you will be covered; this only applies to companies that have been around for a while and will continue to do so.

Thanks for your response ExpertRoofer. I hired a reputable roofing company from my city who has been in business for 40 years. They did my roof 10 years ago so went back to them to re-do my roof after hail storm.

Unfortunately, they chose to hire some new work crew from another city who just showed up into town and this was their very first job for this roofing company. They didn’t even have proper equipment. When they showed up with a really small rented U-Haul trailer to dispose of the old shingles, then asked me for a broom, explaining that they didn’t have any tools or equipment I was concerned and made this post. 3 days into the roofing job (not a big job - about 2500 sq ft of roof, not a steep pitch, all one story, no dormers, etc. Basically a pretty easy job.), They were terrible. One of the workers defacated in my backyard. AGH. They didn’t have a clue what they were doing. I speak/understand spanish which they didn’t count on and could hear their banter all day long. Basically talking to each other about how messed up things were, not knowing what they were doing, etc. I finally had to put my foot down and demand the crew pack up and leave. End result is that they were only 2/3 done and it was horrible. I don’t even know anything about roofing but I could see how terrible it was. I hired an independent roofing inspector to come and inspect it and he just shook his head and said “this is horrible.” Roofing company’s own inspector came and agreed.

So, now we are trying to figure out how to fix this mess. SIGH. It’s just so disappointing when you feel you are being taken advantage of. It’s going to be a long battle I can tell.

This just helps
Prove that just because someone has had a business for a very long time does not guarantee a quality roof, or even an acceptable one.

Sounds to me like the business owner is a super cheap and irresponsible asshole.
Just sent an unknown crew out to the job without supervising them?
He’s begging to lose everything.

Pay top dollar for your workers
And make sure it is top quality work
Charge your customer accordingly.
Rake in the rewards from your satisfied customers telling everyone they know.

2 Likes