Need help deciding which roofer to use

I’m not sure if i’m posting in the right place so please forgive me if I didnt. I’m looking to get my roof replaced on my 2600 sq ft house. So far I have been given 3 estimates and nobody has listed the square footage. I have absolutly no idea which of the three is any good. I’m really tight on money so I would figure to go with the cheapest but I just bought the house and want to be here for 30 years and want a roof with material that will
last a long time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE #1

A company wants $8,950 That includes the following:
-Remove existing layers of shingles and inspect roof.
-Install drip edge to entire roof perimeter
-Valleys to have triple layer closed valley system(Ice Guard in valley).
-Ice & water shield 6ft up on eaves and around skylights and chimmneys
-High Performance Underlayment
-ridge vent installation
-New pipe flanges
-new chimney flashing
-Install new heavy weight shingles and provide city permits.
-The shingles will be Certainteed landmark or GAF/ELK Timberline.

QUOTE #2

A small company that was referred to me said
$5,000 for IKO Shingles
$5,500 for Owens Corning
$5,700 for GAF Timberline

that includes:
-Tear out
-New plywood up to 3 sheets
-3ft ice & water sheilds
-He said he does everything to code

QUOTE #3

A guy my dad knows says he does roofs and quoted me these prices
TAMKO $5,891
Ownes Corning $6,120
GAF $5,930

Replaces up to 2 sheets plywood
Removes existing roof to bare deck
Furnish & Install the following:
Ice & water shield to gutter edges valleys and penetration
Drip edge (Aluminum)
Felt Paper
Cap Masters for soilstackts
Complete clean and haul debris

He said it would be extra for the following
GAF deck armor (Instead of felt) $605
DCI Smart Vent $580

He said that by the end of summer the material prices will go up another $1,000

Thank you
Jerry

I’d go for the middle,where are you located?

I live in South east Michigan.

What should I be looking out for? I’m not going to actually be on the roof with them so I want to make sure i’m not getting ripped off. Its so frustrating having to pay so much and not knowing if the job is done right.

Thank you so much for your reply
Jerry

[quote=“jerry8989”]

What should I be looking out for? I’m not going to actually be on the roof with them so I want to make sure i’m not getting ripped off. Its so frustrating having to pay so much and not knowing if the job is done right.

Jerry[/quote]

I like quote #1 and Landmark shingles.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

Jerry

I like quote #1 and Landmark shingles.[/quote]

Axiom,

What about quote #1 made it better then the other 2?

Thank you

A better description of the work to be performed and the price seems to be more realistic.
I think the other 2 are priced too low to do a good thorough job.

If your house is 2,600 sq/ft I am guessing that your roof is larger than 32 sq.
If this is the case even the highest priced of your estimates seems kinda low to me, but you are in SE Mich and people cut each others throats on a daily basis down there…

Too many times people go with the cheapest price not looking at the **true cost **of that low price.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]A better description of the work to be performed and the price seems to be more realistic.

If this is the case even the highest priced of your estimates seems kinda low to me, but you are in SE Mich and people cut each others throats on a daily basis down there…

Too many times people go with the cheapest price not looking at the **true cost **of that low price.[/quote]

Axiom,

Thanks for the reply.

The second quote comes from a small company that has done roofs for 2 of my uncles. My uncle said they did a great job. What can I look for on their roof to tell me the quality of their work?

Thanks

The first thing I would look at is the ridge-cap. If they have dimensional shingles put on and have the ridge cap done with 3-tab, they would be off my list immediately.

Between that and guys not hand nailing ridgevent (Assuming quality ridgevent such as shinglevent II or Snow Country is used) are my two biggest pet peeves.

[quote=“jerry8989”]

[quote=“-Axiom-”]A better description of the work to be performed and the price seems to be more realistic.

Too many times people go with the cheapest price not looking at the **true cost **[/quote]

of that low price.

Axiom,

Thanks for the reply.

The second quote comes from a small company that has done roofs for 2 of my uncles. My uncle said they did a great job. What can I look for on their roof to tell me the quality of their work?

Thanks[/quote]

You would need to climb on the roof and look at the details.
Check to see if the shingles are nailed correctly.
Does everything look to be in alignment?
Does anything just “not look right”?
Do they have chimneys and if so how do they look?
Do you see any exposed tar?
Is the roof all “scuffed” up from foot traffic in the heat?

Referrals are a great way to weed out contractors but they really are of limited use as far as determining the long term quality of an installation.
It usually takes a few years for poor quality workmanship to show itself if it isn’t obvious from the start.
Do you think your uncles would know a good roof job from a bad roof job?
Most people don’t.
Most roofs even if poorly installed will perform for 2 yrs before showing signs of deficient workmanship.

We get good referrals by doing what we say we are going to do and taking good care of the customers property.
We also install our roofs exceeding specs but the customer doesn’t really know this for sure, just that we said we would.
The customer also doesn’t know if the roof is good or bad, they just know that it was a painless experience for them to get a new roof.

Basically I think that the other 2 bids are too low to properly replace your roof and corners will get cut so that the roofers will make a little profit.

For chits & giggles lets say your roof is 26 sq, which it isn’t it is larger than that.

Quote #2, $5,700 comes out to $219/sq.

Quote #3, $6,120 comes out to $235/sq.

Material packages for me have been approaching $140/sq.
Neither of these companies carry the required insurances I guarantee it.
At these prices neither of these companies will be in business very long either.

Quote #1, $8,950 comes out to be $344/sq.
This is a realistic bid to do a quality job with quality material.

Keep in mind that these numbers are based on a 26 sq roof, yours is larger than that.
As the roof gets larger the worse # 2&3 look.

Money is tight, I understand that.
But can you afford to pay for repairs in a couple years or perhaps a whole new roof?

We all see this a lot.

How did you feel about the three roofer meetings?

The four subjects that should have been discussed are decking/underlayment, “valleys”, shingles and roof openings (chimney, pipe vents, attic vents).

If bad decking is covered, that could be a big issue that will make the roof look uneven and need repairs in the life of that roof. Look over your roof to see if there are any low spots or high spots now. Ask about them, if you see them. Don’t let the felt get wet or be wrinkled at installation of shingles. Detroit is wet and cold. Ice and water shield should be used in vulnerable areas, like the eaves and valleys and around chimneys and pipes. That is not necessary in areas where hail bangs off the roofs every few years. I do not ever remember any hail in Motown.

Valleys are where two slopes meet and form a watershed. There are several methods to install them. They should have a logical story of how they do that.

Why do they want to use the shingle they prefer? I like GAF because I know they stand behind their shingles. We have to be careful to install them in the summer.

What will they cover your pipes with. Do not use 3-in-1s. That rubber garbage will break and leak in a short time. Use lead.

Proper ventilation is the key to your roof. Do you have enough intake and exhale of attic air? They should know and explain why.

In my opinion, I’d take the guy who was recommended. It is close in price to your lowest bid. You may need more bids, since it is not insurance work, right? If it is insurance work, then we need a new discussion. The selection process would be completely different. I would not even consider the high priced bid.

Good luck.

I just quoted a roof for a homeowner that put a new roof on her house 4yrs ago. She chose the highest bid from the most well known roofing company in town. They shingled a 2/12 pitch on the rear of her home and it has been leaking for about a year. They have been coming out & tarring the shingles to stop the leak. They finally told her that she was being a difficult customer & they couldnt help her any more & they are voiding her warranty.

So the highest priced is not always the best. Not in every case.

I am definitely NOT a fan of the guy that “DOES ROOFING” regardless if a friend or your dad recommended him.

What if you have a leak that causes thousands of dollars in damage to your home?
Is this guy that “DOES ROOFING” going to pay for it to be fixed? Is he going to be there with any kind of warranty? Chances are he doesn’t have the proper insurance.

GET MORE BIDS!! MAKE SURE YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THE PERSON YOU CHOOSE.

Good Luck

This is not an isurance job. I just need a new roof. I just bought the house a year ago and I knew I need to get a new one this year. Since I heard prices are going up I wanted to start researching it.

The second quote comes from a small company. He said he has been around for 16 years and warrenty’s the work for 5 years and the shingles are warrenty through manufacture. One of the things I liked was that he said if I can’t pay it all at once I could put the materials on a credit card and pay the labor in cash or check. The 3rd quote wanted all cash .

I think quote 3 is out. I don’t want it done by someone who doesn’t run an actual company. I asked all 3 about insurance and said I must see proof before any work is done. The second quote also mentioned getting a permit from the city. He said I can get it which will be cheaper then for him to get it. The third quote never mentioned permits.

Thanks to everyones replies you guys are giving good things to think about. I wish I could find the best combination of quality work and materials and price.

Jerry

Do not even consider garys reply!!
A 2600sq ft home has a roof of around 4000sq ft.
The #1 quote should be the only one in consideration.
#3 isnt even a roofing company.
#2 asks you to pull the permit? wow. You dont think in your gut that something is wrong?
Dont let the temptation of a price let you make the wrong decision.
But either you are a person who has always chose the easy(losing decision) or you are not…

[quote=“roof-lover”]Do not even consider garys reply!!
#2 asks you to pull the permit? wow. You dont think in your gut that something is wrong?
But either you are a person who has always chose the easy(losing decision) or you are not…[/quote]

The guy said he can pull the permit but it would cost $300 or I could do it for $100. I told him that money is super tight and that was a way to drop the cost.

Is IKO shingles a good brand?

The first quote company needs all the money at the end of the job. My issue is that I don’t have 10K in cash to give him. I might have to take a loan out.

Thank you for your reply I do appreciate all the help from everyone.

[quote=“jerry8989”]

[quote=“roof-lover”]Do not even consider garys reply!!
But either you are a person who has always chose the easy(losing decision) or you are not…[/quote]

The guy said he can pull the permit but it would cost $300 or I could do it for $100. I told him that money is super tight and that was a way to drop the cost.

Is IKO shingles a good brand?

The first quote company needs all the money at the end of the job. My issue is that I don’t have 10K in cash to give him. I might have to take a loan out.

Thank you for your reply I do appreciate all the help from everyone.[/quote]

You have told me everything i need to know.
Your contractor is a liar and asks you to be a liar.
You are not doing the roof. You are hiring someone else to do it.
You are lying(a sin)to save 200 dollars.
The lying is justified right? I mean we are talking 200 dollars.
Which of course is a “savings” of 3000 dollars or more(in your mind). The difference between almost 6000 and 9000…
I mean of course the justification of “money is tight” is all the justification you need, right?
Your life and your childrens lives will pay the difference here and in the future and for eternity.
Yall have fun together.

[quote=“roof-lover”]
Which of course is a “savings” of 3000 dollars or more(in your mind). The difference between almost 6000 and 9000…
I mean of course the justification of “money is tight” is all the justification you need, right?
Your life and your childrens lives will pay the difference here and in the future and for eternity.
Yall have fun together.[/quote]

dude… what is the matter with you lately?? seriously.

[quote=“Agape”]

[quote=“roof-lover”]
Yall have fun together.[/quote]

dude… what is the matter with you lately?? seriously.[/quote]

Morals a sore subject for you? Gotcha.
I mean, What are morals? who’s to say? right?

[quote=“roof-lover”]

[quote=“Agape”]

dude… what is the matter with you lately?? seriously.
Morals a sore subject for you? Gotcha.
I mean, What are morals? who’s to say? right?[/quote]

Me? nope. but apparently it is for you.

this guy comes on here looking for advice after getting 3 bids (all of which to me look LOW) and one guy suggests pulling the permit himself to save money, then you freak out on him. I dont know much about pulling permits where he is from, because #1 i dont know where he is from, or the local laws. and #2 we dont have roofing permits here. maybe where he is from, the home owner can legally pull the permit… especially if he hires a crew, and not a roofing company to do the work. in that case, he is acting as the GC and its not illegal.

So glad you dont even have to have permits in your area. freedom rings in your area!
But the original posters region does require permits.
And a homeowner pulling a permit themselves is saying that they are doing the work themselves and anyone helping isnt getting paid for it.
Still confused?

:roll: