Need new roof, new skylight, new vents

I’ve done a garage roof before, and have a very easy house to roof (small, 1 story, low pitch, gabled roof), so I thought I was going to redo the roof myself when I bought the house. I got busy with other projects, so I thought I’d pay to have the roof done. After 2 months and countless phone calls, I only got 1 actual quote, which is for more than twice what I considered a fair price. I don’t understand roofers, they all come out to your house and talk BS for hours about everything except your roof, and then don’t get back to you with a quote because they are “too busy”. I am amazed people like that can stay in business. I am so frustrated, I am starting to seriously think about doing everything myself. Even if I hire this out, I have decided I need more knowledge to make appropriate choices.

My biggest issue is an old skylight. I believe it leaks, but at least 1 good professional roofer tells me it doesn’t and the water is coming from the valley’s nearby. Either way, it is a very old bubble-style skylight and should be replaced. I have no idea how to do this. Is this something that should be done before the roof, after the roof, or at the same time?

The next biggest issue is ventilation. I have over sized gable vents, soft vents, a ridge vent on the addition (but not the main roof), and a powered turbine that hasn’t worked in at least a decade. Roofers have given me very different opinions on what to do. How do I know if I have enough ventilation? The easiest fix is probably to hook up the powered turbine (or a new replacement in the same spot). This would normally be very easy for me, but I need have some electrical problems that need fixed first. I am tempted to replace it with another ridge vent, if that isn’t too difficult, or even leave it out entirely.

The last issue is everyone tells me I need “ice guards”. Supposedly I need to keep ice and snow from backing up on the roof, which has never been a problem before, and I need to do a complete tear-off to install them. Otherwise, I can make do with a 2nd layer. This is less important if I do the work myself, as I would probably do a complete tear off any way (almost the same cost, not much more time for an amateur). If I hire this out, I would probably do a 2nd layer to save money.

Tear off the existing roofing down to bare decking.

Repair any damaged decking.

Replace bubble skylight with a real skylight, I suggest a fixed Velux which should be less than $300 with flashing kit.

Remove power vent and sheet over the hole, no more power vent.

Install drip edge on eaves of roof.

Install 2 courses of Ice & water shield, install Ice & water shield in any valleys.

Your new Velux skylight should have a roll of flashing membrane with it, use this to wrap the skylight, instructions are provided for you in the package.

Cover the remainder of the roof with the underlayment of your choice, fasten well enough so that it doesn’t come loose sending you sliding down & off the roof @ high speed.

Install drip edge on rakes of roof.

Install your shingles, instructions are provided on the package.

Install ridgevent on the full length of all ridges of your home fastened with hand nailed 2 1/2" roofing nails or longer.
Make sure your ridge slot is wide enough, not too wide either, instructions provided in the Shinglevent II box.

After you are done paying for all these materials the bids you received should have been 3x - 4x as much as this material.
How much did you think it was supposed to cost?

[quote=“-Axiom-”]Replace bubble skylight with a real skylight, I suggest a fixed Velux which should be less than $300 with flashing kit.
Your new Velux skylight should have a roll of flashing membrane with it, use this to wrap the skylight, instructions are provided for you in the package.
[/quote]

Is this really a DIY project? I can follow the instructions exactly, but worry this will leak unless a pro does it.

Are you listing steps in order? Do I install the ridgevent after the shingles?

[quote=“-Axiom-”]
After you are done paying for all these materials the bids you received should have been 3x - 4x as much as this material.
How much did you think it was supposed to cost?[/quote]

My father-in-law just had a complete tear-off done a few years back for just over $4000, so that is what I was expecting. He had no skylight or vent issues, about the same square footage, a 2-story house with a steeper pitch, and he lives 50 miles away. The only roofer to actually give me a quote was just under $10,000. Property tax lists my house as 1818 Square Foot Living Area.

How are Lowe’s prices on materials? Should I shop elsewhere?

The steps are in order.

Once you remove the bubble you need a skylight that will fit the existing hole, Ideally.
You will measure this beforehand so that you have the skylight on hand when you do the tear off.
Instructions are in the box on how to install it.

If you have an attached garage your roof is probably around 30 sq.

Get your material from a roofing supplier, they may even send out a salesmen to make a material list for you if you ask.

Don’t go to Home Depot, Lowes, Menard’s, or any other big box store, they don’t offer the rooftop service you will desire.
They will claim to but I assure you it will be labor intensive for you and inadequate for the job to be performed.

You are probably better off doing it yourself than price shopping for someone else to do it.
You can always find someone to do it cheaper…

The velux skylights with flashing kits are almost idiot-proof, if the included instructions are followed. :smiley:

Just hire it done.

$4,000 for a total roof replacement even in the worst conditions sounds too low. Did the company that did the other roof you talk about have insurance ? Were they bonded, did they have a warranty ? Did they have any references, local phone number, legitimate contract, etc, etc, these are all things that us in the industry run into … a “fly by night” roofer. Who gives us all bad names.

Lowes is not a bad place to buy materials if you know who to talk too about the prices. What state do you live in ?!?

You can email me at codygustavson@yahoo.com also if you would like to communicate that way.

You have no clue what your about to embark on,if you take this roof off and decide it is to tough of a job for you?Do you stop where your at?Call in the only roofer that quoted you?Call for more bids and hope more show up?And if you tear off this roof and stop,you risk flooding your house?
Odds are you will not do a decent job not a even a good job,so you will have to tear it all off and pay a contractor to redo it after buying the materials the first time.This is not a do it yourself project,if your whole life is under that roof!
I find it hard to believe you cant get bids unless youve recently had a lot of hail and the roofers are busy,you need to call the local roofing supplie houses and ask for references from them.
If you do undertake this project i would suggest you think hard about how much it will cost you if things go wrong!

A ridge vent,gable vent and power vent will pull air from the peak and the gables defeating the purpose of the ventilation,your ventilation should pull air from your soffit vents exiting your ridge vent for proper ventilation.Gable vents and ridge vents work against each other

Makes sense, but then why do people use gable vents? Does it really make sense for me to remove the gable vents when that is probably 90% of my current ventilation?

I got another quote showing my roof is 30 square. At first I could not believe it was that big, but after going over the measurements, I am thinking this quote is correct and I have more interior square footage than what is shown on my property tax estimate (both numbers could be correct due to the slope of the roof, I haven’t done the math with 3d geometry yet).

I am probably doing this myself. However since recommendations I’ve gotten on which roofer to use and what they each suggest doing is so dramatically different, I am going to go through the process of deciding how this should be done even if I hire it out.

I have no idea. But the roof looks good and doesn’t leak, so I’d be happy to use the roofer regardless. Unfortunately, they are too far away.

Well, it doesn’t look too different of a job than what I did on my friends garage, but if you have specific pitfalls you think I will run into, please share them.

What is at risk is not the issue. I do my own electrical which is literally my own life. A few places could by more tidy, but everything works and is safe, which is far better than the “professional” work that was done before I moved in.

No hail here, cold and snowy - so I know they aren’t busy doing new roofs either. I find it hard to believe anyone I called can make a living owning a business - these roofers are definitely not busy and lead a much slower pace than I do. I don’t want to sit around for hours chatting about my cats, the neighborhood, the weather or their Angie’s list awards. I want a quote with a dollar amount.

From your questions I say do not do this yourself. If you have 30 squares expect reasonable bids to be $6k plus depending on their level of overhead and type of insurance they carry.

As far your skylight goes replacing it is a great idea. It should be done at the same time as the tear-off or the adding of the second layer. Also as for the ventilation, Its great that you have plenty of ventilation with the gable vents and sofit vents. The part that lets that circulating air escape is the ridge ventilation. If you are worried about the electrical , or if the electrical doesnt work, install a solar vent. Just as easy to install and never pay for electric to it. Cost a few dollars more , but well worth it. Hopefully this was helpful, if you would like to ask me a question you can visit my website and leave a message in the comment box and I will get back to you.

Best of Regards, Charles Goss 800-511-9710 yourlocalroofingcompany

[quote=“charles goss”]As far your skylight goes replacing it is a great idea. It should be done at the same time as the tear-off or the adding of the second layer. Also as for the ventilation, Its great that you have plenty of ventilation with the gable vents and sofit vents. The part that lets that circulating air escape is the ridge ventilation. If you are worried about the electrical , or if the electrical doesnt work, install a solar vent. Just as easy to install and never pay for electric to it. Cost a few dollars more , but well worth it. Hopefully this was helpful, if you would like to ask me a question you can visit my website and leave a message in the comment box and I will get back to you.

Best of Regards, Charles Goss 800-511-9710 yourlocalroofingcompany[/quote]

[quote=“charles goss”]As far your skylight goes replacing it is a great idea. It should be done at the same time as the tear-off or the adding of the second layer. Also as for the ventilation, Its great that you have plenty of ventilation with the gable vents and sofit vents. The part that lets that circulating air escape is the ridge ventilation. If you are worried about the electrical , or if the electrical doesnt work, install a solar vent. Just as easy to install and never pay for electric to it. Cost a few dollars more , but well worth it. Hopefully this was helpful, if you would like to ask me a question you can visit my website and leave a message in the comment box and I will get back to you.

Best of Regards, Charles Goss 800-511-9710 yourlocalroofingcompany[/quote]

The gable vent is the exit air and the soffit vents are the intake air. Most opinions are that having both gable and ridge vents will cause problems with the attic ventilation as it disrupts the flow of air exiting the attic. I’m sure there is lots of reading material here and other places on that topic.