Need Opinion on New Roof Installation Quality

I found this forum when I searched key words related to issues found with a new roof we just had installed. I have a number of issues and lots of pics to share. I need feedback from industry experts as to what normal expectations should be on an average roofing job. We used what was supposed to be a premium roofer and paid a premium price, however lets move the needle to the middle and set expectations as to what is average for the industry.

I have a number of pics that need your opinion. What is the best way to share those pics, I can post to an external site and link to that, or I can attach here?

Easier for new members to post pics somewhere else and then share that link. This forum has a limit to how many pics new members can share.

1 Like

Ok thanks, working on that now and will post the links once done.

Shingle Bruising: A number of the shingles have significant bruising. I am just attaching a few pics. Is this normal? How hard is it to replace these shingles – it seems a difficult task to get right without significant effort?

Red circle: I inspected the roof before they left and the worker told me this red circle was for an anchor location, however they installed 4 anchors on either side of the other ridge and not here. It appears that there is no function for this. It is not going away, and it is bleeding, and it is visible from the street. Any guesses as to why this would be on our new roof?

I don’t even need to ask this one. They split this and left it that way. Now if I want to straighten it out or paint it to seal it, what a pain. But I thought you should see what I am dealing with:

Uneven shingle merge with ridge cap: I am a contractor myself and a perfectionist. For one of the best roofers in the region, this would seem subpar. However I am not a roofer, so my question to the group is whether this would be an average installation (right side of ridge) and something that homeowners should generally expect?

Uneven siding: I don’t think I am being picky here and I just wish I was given a choice. The old roof was shake, and the shingles were high enough to hide the uneven siding. So this is what I got (after pic). I am thinking of setting a circular saw to a light cut, and then chase that cut by chiseling out the siding to try and even out. Any opinions about how you might handle this installation if you were the roofer, and the best way to try and straighten it out?

Last cap: Just curious if this is a customary way to fix the last cap.

What you are calling “bruises” are caused by not taking enough care walking on a new roof on a very hot day. They are easy to swap out for a decent roofer.

The red circle appears to be chalk or a crayon. Either one will off and if not it’s an easy fix.

The split rafter tail is very sloppy but they likely had to do it to get their new shingles under that area. At this point the simplest in my opinion best thing to do would be nail a nicely cut and painted fake rafter tail in front of it to hide the split.

Crocked rows are sloppy imo but sadly “average roofer quality” these days.

As for the uneven siding, if that’s how it was I wouldn’t expect anything done about it unless it was discussed beforehand.

The last ridge cap is not done how I would have but I have no issue with it.

While you didn’t get a roofing masterpiece I don’t see anything shocking either. The standard for shingle roofers isn’t that high in my area. I’d say you got an average job.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input.

That’s a good idea for the rafter tail, I can pre-paint a dummy and hide it without a lot of labor. I agree it was done for clearance but once it split I should have been given an option while it was easy to repair, rather than hide it and hope I didn’t notice. When we sit on our deck it is in our direct line of sight.

To me the crooked row near the ridge could have been a lot better with little effort, I paid for premium and got average.

The damaged shingles created a discoloration that is apparent from a distance, it seems they will be apparent for the life of the roof. Is it customary to do an inspection before you leave a job, and if you do would you look past this or note it is as a needed repair?

We had no idea the siding was uneven, because it was not apparent with the shake shingles. The shake was outside the siding, not under it. So there was nothing to talk about before the work started. I think this is something that a good roofer should discuss with the owner before completing the work. It would have been a lot easier to straighten out and paint before it was flashed and finished.

The shocking part is that they scheduled the job for late July, then surprised us with a late June install, then worked 2 1/2 days, put all the roofing materials on our roof and then left for 3 weeks. It took 24 days to do 5 days of work, when the promise was one week. During the three week delay, there was zero response to our inquiries, and so day by day, we had no idea when they were coming back. When they finally showed up 3 weeks later, we still got no notice, and they sent just 1 guy. The next day he was gone a 4 new guys show up and were pissed that they had to work on Saturday. After a 3 week delay we sure didn’t want them working overtime. That crew seems to be the source of the not so good work. Then they said they weren’t coming back and another crew finished the work on the following Monday.

We paid more and got less.

When shingles are swapped out is there anything specific to look for to make sure its done right?

Depending on your specific area you may have in fact got a premium product.

Roofers are not detail oriented to begin with and ones that are just do something else.

All of your “beefs” are minor if that, you should be happy with what you have, it looks fine as is.

2 Likes

Sounds to me like you didn’t really hire a roofing company. You likely hired a salesman masquerading as a roofing company. Those are quite common for companies that appear to be very large and brag about the volume of work they do. They have no real employees who do the work or even proper insurances to be doing the work and rely completely of subcontractors to provide both.

With that said, those guys can still provide a good service. They need to develop good relationships with good subcontractors and not just worry about pure volume and throw any sub (or multiple) with a pulse up on a job and hope for the best.

I’m with axiom and believe you should probably just leave your roof as is for now. The shingle scuffs are by biggest issue but certainly aren’t uncommon. Swapping out the shingles is very easy for a good roofer to do, however it certainly possible to do it and cause more harm than good if the guy doesn’t know (or care about) what he is doing. With the amount of different crews on your job already I don’t have a lot of faith you will get a good installer. Since you sound handy, I could post a video on how to swap a shingle properly if you want to have a go at it yourself.

Sorry, you paid for a premium but ended up with average but I think you’re best to just move on. I don’t see anything positive coming from trying to get them to make changes at this point.

2 Likes

It is indeed a respected roofing company in our region. I checked references and all that before awarding the job. My good friend had them do their roof 3 years ago and said good things. During this experience I went and checked Yelp, and a lot of the recent posts reflect what I experienced. Much of their good reputation is from about 2 years and prior. Now that being said, reviewers can be very unfair, and happy customers don’t generally leave reviews, only the unhappy seem to find time to. I own a another small company that manufactures a product here in the US, and some of the reviews take what is the actual benefit of the product, misunderstand it, and then write a trashy review, completely uniformed. I’ve given up trying to correct it.

That being said, I think this was all profit based. The schedule change and delays suggests they fit us in because we were a smaller job. COVID has made labor scarce, so they abandoned us and went to the bigger jobs who were screaming louder and left us hanging. Then they came back and likely told the workers they had to work the weekend and blamed us, but left out the fact we had been waiting with bundled shingles on our roof for 3 weeks.

So your input is where I had arrived, I just needed the experts help get me there. I am handy, I am a contractor myself. Also, I am very worried that the crew that does the “repair” could do more harm than good. Before you replied I had resigned myself that I should learn how to replace shingles. What I don’t have in experience, I’ll make up for because I am detail oriented. I would certainly appreciate any advice you can give me on doing that, or point me to a place where I can learn.

I appreciate the time and advice you guys have shared with me.

The company owners finally got wind of what was going on. Project manager was moonlighting and ignoring jobs and was fired, we agreed to let them do the repairs. Any concept that being treated this way, or this kind quality being normal, is not something anyone should expect - once the pandemic is over. The lack of availability of contractors during the pandemic has made this story more normal. Things will eventually settle down, and contractor’s will realize that being on time and delivering the quality promised will be required again, its just a matter of time.

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted. IslandRoofing definitely brings up some great points and insight. I happen to be one of those “salesman masquerading as a roofing company”, but I don’t brag about being big. In fact, I brag that I’m a small, low-volume, high-quality one-man shop that provides a great value. I do however have my own business license and insurance. So while I may have started out that way, I am in fact more of a general contractor than a salesman at this point. A couple of items I might add for future reference:

1. Most (almost all) residential roofing companies (even the big ones) here in San Antonio use subs to do their roofs. I do as well, but I’ve been using the same sub for over 3 years. This is an important distinction as not all crews do good work, and on two separate occasions I was forced to use other crews (I was working for other companies at the time. I am now on my own). What I learned is, even if I have to wait 2-3 weeks for ‘my guy’ to fit me in, I’ll wait, because he makes me look good and my customers are happy with the results.

2. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but a phone call to the office to ‘check something’ may have revealed the moonlighting issue sooner and prevented what you went through. When I started doing side jobs, I was up front with the folks I was doing it for and priced the job accordingly. I did not use the company I was working for to purchase materials or anything, I did it all on my own, and I communicated all that with my homeowners. Those first few side jobs are what gave me the confidence to step out and open my own company, and I took my roofing sub with me because I showed him more respect than the company I worked for did.

3. Something I always did as a project manager/salesman when working for other companies and what I still do today as an owner, was man the job. Partly because I was new to residential roofing and have control issues, but also because I had a background in commercial HVAC projects where all your work was subject to inspections. I let my customers know in advance, I will be there on build day. A lot of the guys I trained with would show up once in the morning and once in the evening and that was it. I couldn’t do it because I felt personal responsibility for how the job turned out and there was no way I could trust the group of immigrant teenagers installing the roof to have the same level of detail or care for the project as I did. While they still don’t, they do know if I am there that they will not get away with shoddy work. Is everything perfect even when I’m there? No, but at least I know why it isn’t and can explain if I need to. Some things you can just let slide, some things need to be redone. Those shingle marks from foot traffic? I just had some of those and pointed them out while my guys were installing and said wtf? They said it’s hot, I said be careful and get softer boots. They said do you want us to fix it? I said leave it, it’s on the backside, there’s only a few, but no more and that was it. They weren’t as severe as yours, or else I would have told them to replace it, but point is, I was there, walking around on the roof looking at what my guys were doing. Not all day mind you, but most of my day was there onsite when I wasn’t picking up more material or meeting the inspector, etc.

Anyway, sorry that happened to you but glad the company stepped up to take care of it. Don’t be afraid of using the little guys, but just ask the right questions. I have also provided references potential customers can call since I don’t really have a big online presence and I hate social media. Any contractor worth his salt should have no problem providing those.

2 Likes

Great insight, thanks. You sound like a good person to do business with.

We tried to give the little guys a shot, multiple no shows on getting the bids from tried and true smaller companies that were referred by friends. It seems in the NW, by April, they were already booked for the summer. Friggin COVID…

During this process with the company that we went with, I called, texted, and emailed both PM, and sales. They had continuous contact from me, and more or less ghosted me. Because of their lack of response from constant comm where I asked for a response in writing (because they kept lying to me over the phone), I resigned myself that this was headed to small claims. At the point when they knew that, somehow it finally got escalated. The new PM is a great guy, and we have good communication.

These are not subs, they are a company of 70. We did find out ownership changed hands 4 years ago.

Repair crew was here this morning and I was just on the roof with them. The consensus is that the install crew should have gotten off the roof on that hot Saturday, and stopped until it cooled down, or one guy said he usually has a hose at the ready to cool the shingles down when it gets like that.

I told them I was not going to decide what to repair, it was up to them. Once they started looking, they decided there is quite a bit that has to be repaired. They started the repair and decided its too hot today, and we need to wait for cooler weather. We are starting another heat wave in the NW.

They want to blame the PM they fired, but a lot more people were involved than him. That being said I trust the new PM and the repair crew until they give me a reason not to. We are hopeful that we are headed to resolution.

The input I have received from this forum has been valuable in giving me the perspective from a roofer’s point of view, which is what I wanted. I can tell you from an owners point of view, everyone we talked to is horrified. So getting balance from the roofers themselves helps bring things back to center.

Oh my goodness!!
If we replaced every shingle we scared here in florida, we wouldnt be able to work in july, august, sept…
Ridiculous

Most all regions have some seasonal nature to when roof installations can be done. Not much roofing happens in Colorado in January.

Apparently everyone in Florida knows that if they have a roof installed during those months that there will be cosmetic issues. It must be part of sales to set expectations prior to the installation and alert customers that scarring is normal. If I move to Florida it would seem unadvised to have a roof installed during those months, when apparently there are 9 other months where my roof installation won’t be scarred for life.

We are asking not telling. We have not in any way requested that every scarred shingle be replaced. We do not accept however, that it is normal for us to sit on our deck and look at permanent boot treads imbedded into shingles on a new roof that will last for 40 years. More than one roofer on this post agrees that some of the shingles on our roof should be replaced.

If it bothers us to see the destruction of brand new shingles in a way that is very visible from the ground, and the roofer thinks it is “normal” and nothing wrong, then we can replace the shingles ourselves. I have now seen the process myself, and it is not that hard to do.

The new PM is the one deciding what needs to be repaired, not us.

I agree that it is not acceptable and roofers that claim their area is too hot to get around this are sloppy. We use sprinklers and hoses when it gets hot. I have no doubt we scar some shingles but if we see it we replace them. A scarred shingle has lost a minimum of 10 years off of its lifespan.

1 Like