Great insight, thanks. You sound like a good person to do business with.
We tried to give the little guys a shot, multiple no shows on getting the bids from tried and true smaller companies that were referred by friends. It seems in the NW, by April, they were already booked for the summer. Friggin COVID…
During this process with the company that we went with, I called, texted, and emailed both PM, and sales. They had continuous contact from me, and more or less ghosted me. Because of their lack of response from constant comm where I asked for a response in writing (because they kept lying to me over the phone), I resigned myself that this was headed to small claims. At the point when they knew that, somehow it finally got escalated. The new PM is a great guy, and we have good communication.
These are not subs, they are a company of 70. We did find out ownership changed hands 4 years ago.
Repair crew was here this morning and I was just on the roof with them. The consensus is that the install crew should have gotten off the roof on that hot Saturday, and stopped until it cooled down, or one guy said he usually has a hose at the ready to cool the shingles down when it gets like that.
I told them I was not going to decide what to repair, it was up to them. Once they started looking, they decided there is quite a bit that has to be repaired. They started the repair and decided its too hot today, and we need to wait for cooler weather. We are starting another heat wave in the NW.
They want to blame the PM they fired, but a lot more people were involved than him. That being said I trust the new PM and the repair crew until they give me a reason not to. We are hopeful that we are headed to resolution.
The input I have received from this forum has been valuable in giving me the perspective from a roofer’s point of view, which is what I wanted. I can tell you from an owners point of view, everyone we talked to is horrified. So getting balance from the roofers themselves helps bring things back to center.