Need rain diverter over front door -URGENT

I have an old 3-tab roof with an inverted V rain diverter over the front door. I’m having the roof redone with architectural shingles. The roofing guys say you can’t do a V-shaped diverter with architectural shingles. Will an 11 foot flat diverter really work? Has anyone used a BendTek diverter? Will that work?

Roofers coming Friday and I don’t know whether to go along with the straight diverter or make them go back to 3-tabs shingles or what.

Location is Boston area.

RAH

Hi,

Do not use a straight diverter.

That is what we call a dam.

Dams are a no-no in roofing.

Thanks - I really appreciate your advice.

ask your roofer what they like to do for a rain diverter.
ask them if they have tried a peace of edge metal,
turned upside down .
a 6’ peace over your door should work on three tabs or
demensionals.

good luck.

gweedo

Hi, Your roofers should be able to duplicate the diverter ,may have to make it a little wider at each end since your new shingles are a little wider than the 3 tabs, if your roofers cannot do it try a local sheet metal shop take a picture and add some measurements to it ect…should be able to fabricate a new one,if you roofers have a brake ,buy them a sheet of copper and have them bend it to match your old one and add to it as needed to fit new shingles,just have to solder one joint in the center of the inverted V— or you may be able to use old one? You can install diverters on all types of shingle roofs hope this helps

I usually use reverse edge metal at a slight angle, never had a problem and looks allot better.

I ditto using the drip edge flipped over. Never had any problems and it blends right in with the roof. A heck of a lot cheaper than having something custom made.

I am always 100% against diverters no matter what i have always seen them collect dirt and granules and eventually causing leaks ,wood rot and shingle deterioration .

Use a gutter instead if possible .

Specially when you have a brand new roof the first rain you will have all those loose granules come down and get stuck on it .

Not to mention other debris as leaves.

On my roofs no diverters sorry :evil:

Hi, everyone and thanks for your advice. My roofer is now saying they can make one from copper. They checked with Certainteed on how to install it properly on architectural shingles. It needs to be 9 - 10 feet wide at the bottom so the rain doesn’t drip on the front porch roof. If it lands on the porch roof, it splashes the windows and siding all around the porch and causes rot, since I have a shady lot. I’ve already had to replace the window trim once due to rot and the wood shingles are showing wear. We don’t want a gutter because it is too high up to easily clean - we have a lot of leaves.

Anyone have an opinion on the angle between the two legs of the V-shaped diverter? It seems to me it should be a pretty steep angle so the leaves tend to wash down rather than pile up.

RAH

Has your old diverter worked okay? If so keep at least that amount of fall from center point to each end,if not add a inch or two to each end,I would think 3 to 4"s(maybe more) of fall from center point to each end would work,this should help flush the leaves out of the diverter–Diverters can work quite well in certain situations and at times is the only alternative to alter the flow of rainwater.Plus installing one custom made from copper not only looks good but gives you flexibilty to make it fit the situation.

My old diverter worked well, except that it was too short. It has a pretty steep angle - maybe 3 feet drop on each side, and the overall span is about 8 feet long. As you drive around here, you see a lot of these over doorways and they look fairly steep.

I think I am all set now. I measured the diverter I have by counting the shingles. It is about 7 ft across the bottom of the V and about 3 ft. from top to bottom. It does work pretty well at diverting the water and shedding the leaves. I’ll see if I can get the new one fabricated with a similar drop angle.

Thanks guys for your help.

youll be fine.
just make it like the rest in your area.
dont drive your roofer crazy about this damn diverter
he/she has a whole roof to worry bout.

gweedo.