New home with leaks

Hi,
We are first time home buyers. We bought a new house thinking we will not need any urgent upgrades or repairs. Before buying the house we talked with our neighbors and hired an inspector. However, our shingles started to blow off after few months we moved in. Within approximately one year we had 9 cases of shingles blowing off and few leaks. Our builder always says it’s normal! and during warranty they made temporary fixes. We then hired a contractor who gave us a report on installation mistakes. When we gave the report to the builder, they told us they inspected again and did not find any problem. Although we don’t have any expertise, by reading our contractor’s report and manufacturer guidelines, we see that the shingles that blew off were not nailed appropriately. Our laminate shingles have two overlapping parts and one part is larger. Most of the nails hold only the bottom larger part while the guidelines say the nails should be positioned to hold both parts. We don’t have very strong winds in our area and our next door neighbor does not have this problem. We think that a temporary contractor did our house by nailing randomly but we want to learn form experts if this case can be considered normal as our builder claims? Thanks for your help.

If shingles are blowing off and its a new roof,then NO its not normal

Sounds like the builder is pacifying till the warranty is up…It is not normal( maybe for him)for shingles to blow off(maybe in tornado alley). Blow offs occur when shingles are high nailed. I would demand that the builder replace the entire roof by using a competent roofer. Most builders pay the subs dirt cheap, so most do the work, and leave their conscience under their pillow when they get out of bed…That is what the builder considers normal.
Good luck!

The reason they are blowing off is the nails are in the wrong spot. This is a roof that has no warranty other than the builder. If you have to get a lawyer into it. do it well before the 1 year warranty of the home is expired. They tried that stuff with my parents home on alot of stuff. my parents did not close on the home and it sat vacant for a year and a half.

Call the building inspector the head one. have him come out and he will say its wrong if he is not been paid off. Go to a roofing supply house and get a shingle rep to come out and prove the roof is done wrong. Hope that helps

A new roof should not be losing shingles and a new roof should not leak.,that is like buying a car and everytime you get on the highway a door falls off then next maybe a wheel and then maybe the drivers seat reclining at will at speeds about 45mph.Yes as everyone at roofing.com has stressed this past couple
weeks nail placement is very important.It is so common nowadays builders are just throwing these houses together to get the house sold.We have come in contact with many new homebuyers who experience these types of problems.I really don’t put to much stock in these"home inspectors".Except for inspectors in florida.

Dear kage, jwoolfsroofing, gtp1003 and Roofmaster417,

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. In fact, we also filed a complaint last week and are looking for legal help. Your comments assured us that this is the only way we can get a good roof. Thanks again…

Is your roof very steep?

Also, where are you located?

Certainteed Landmarks have a nail line that only goes through one layer of the laminated shingle, this is for roofs 2/12 to 20/12. They also have a nail line that goes through both layers of the laminate shingle, this is saved for 21/12 and over. These are their fastening specifications. Other companies like GAF/ELK and PABCO have a single nail line that penetrates both layers of the laminate shingle.

Depending on which brand you have on your roof, they may have been installed properly. You should find out that brand you have and check the companies fastening specs.

[quote=“bcdemon”]Certainteed Landmarks have a nail line that only goes through one layer of the laminated shingle, this is for roofs 2/12 to 20/12. They also have a nail line that goes through both layers of the laminate shingle, this is saved for 21/12 and over. These are their fastening specifications. Other companies like GAF/ELK and PABCO have a single nail line that penetrates both layers of the laminate shingle.

Depending on which brand you have on your roof, they may have been installed properly. You should find out that brand you have and check the companies fastening specs.[/quote]

Just because certainteed says you can nail like an idiot, doesnt mean that you should.
Always aim through the double laminate.
But i understand your point.
If the brand was certainteed, then according to them, her roof was installed correctly.

Im betting its probably a 7 or 8/12 Gafelks/timberlines…
Every single nail is installed wrong ,shot through and barely hanging on the roof.
The builder hires the cheapest roofer he can find.
With them, If you do things legally with general liability and workmanscomp, there is not any money left over for profit.
Thats why i consider most general contractors/builders as criminals.

WOW!! remind me not to hire you to install shingles on my dog house, since you high-nail your shingles, have no license, no taxes, no general liability, no workmanscomp and you infer that you drive heavy equipment all over everybodys yard.

[quote=“roof-lover”]

WOW!! remind me not to hire you to install shingles on my dog house, since you high-nail your shingles, have no license, no taxes, no general liability, no workmanscomp and you infer that you drive heavy equipment all over everybodys yard.[/quote]

Roof-lover, is it your intention to lie like this and derail every thread?
-I don’t “high nail”, I follow installation instructions. And if you were to look at Certainteed Landmark installation instructions you would know they have 2 separate nailing areas.
-Roofers in BC not only don’t need a license, we can’t even get a “roofers license” in this province.
-My taxes are taken off every pay check by my employers accountant.
-My employer carries leak insurance.
-Again, my employer pays upwards of $8,000 a year to Worksafe BC just for me to go to work.

• And I said he “COULD” have used a sky-reach for Melodys house. Could, get it?

Degrading people is easy when you blatantly lie and can’t comprehend simple english huh?

r2010;

A few facts would have helped here, but you have already determined a complaint should be filed from the few replies here so far. You were asked where you are. If you want help from experts, please watch the answers and respond to the questions like that. Thank you.

As to your and your neighbor’s house, are either of you two stories?

What shingle is on your house? Do you know? If not, ask the builder. It does matter immensely. Manufacturers have documented runs of shingles that are faulty - the whole run. I have put them down, and they blow off. The manufacturer pays me to put on new ones. This is not uncommon at all.

Zero detective work = random assumptions. Random assumptions = unsubstantiated claims. Unsubstantiated claims = complaints filed. Complaints filed = bad relations. Bad relations = a miserable life.

I unravel these types of issues seemingly every day. I am yet to have anyone resort to copping out of the negotiation.

You have an inspector from the sale, an inspector of the roof problems and the builder who disagree. Did you ever think to hold a meeting to get all the opinions on the table. Then, maybe you all could work this out. Maybe you did, but don’t you think that would be good to put on here?

What has our country come to? Everyone just runs and gets their lawyer. Hey, wanna borrow my roofing hammer, too? Sorry but lawsuits are very painful. I sure hope you reason and reconsider - for the sake of all involved.

bcdemon,
If there are leaks and 9 cases of shingles blowing off in one year, The shingles WERE NOT installed correctly!!!
Got it?

And there is no excuse for high nailing, even with certainteed. Got it?

[quote=“roof-lover”]bcdemon,
If there are leaks and 9 cases of shingles blowing off in one year, The shingles WERE NOT installed correctly!!!
Got it?

And there is no excuse for high nailing, even with certainteed. Got it?[/quote]

If you had read and understood my post you would have realized that I was referring to the nail placement.
It’s not considered “high nailing” if its the manufacturers specifications.

BC
roof-lover

%between%http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-047.gif

Bottom line-it was roofed wrong if fricken shingles are falling off.

I know of two lines of shingles that allow the installer to fasten above the double but still into the shingle below to allow full installation warranty.

Certainteed Landmark and Owens Corning Duration. Both shingles have some of the best tar in the industry. Certainteed gets some of it’s product and pattents from 3M. More than likely the tar as well as the granuals.

That being said, if a shingle manufacturer allows installers to place fastenters above the double it’s totaly covered under warranty.

One of my best selling points is we go beyond state minumal code with the ice/water, venting, and most important above the shingle manufacturers specs for nail placement. Explain to the home owner by showing them the shingle were we place 5-6 nails per shingle.

The problem I see with nailing above is you are more than likely to blow through the shingle. Also if you nail right above the double chances are you’ll very easily blow through being it’s a soft spot.

Certainteed has a 1.5" nailing area for typical installation. If you naill anywhere in that area then you will catch the shingle above it without fail. Then they have a lower area for the steeper pitches.

As far as the home owners issues with his builder/roofer I have a story that’s similiar.

A few years ago got visited by a home owner who lived just down the street in a subdivision. He said he had a few shingle that blew off his 3 month old roof. Grabbed the ladder and followed him over to his house which was the exact same line/color as we were installing. Once I was on the roof realized a lot of issues. First, the area were three shingles blew off had no felt! Upon prying up a few other spots we found more missing felt. There were popped nails all over the place along with high and overdriven nails. My father was called in to inspect and found 19 issues. We met with the h/o, builder, and roofer and they said they would replace the roof. The builder seemed nice and we inspected the roof we’d just done down the road. He seemed very interested and my father went to a meeting with the owner of the company. After he said, “We pay $XX per square” my father laughed and walked out. The fact in this situtation was you get what you pay for.

Our builders don’t pay $XX per square we charge $XX per square. They know quality and pay acordingly. They also send me a lot of referrals on existing homes.

BTW, good luck!!!

Please find my answers below:
-Our roof is steep but I don’t know the exact steepness value and will try to find out after the weekend from our contractor. Some of our neighbors’ roofs are steeper but do not have the same problem.
-We are in eastern PA, close to NJ.
-Our shingles are Tamko Heritage 30. Based on our contractor’s description and guidelines at tamko.com/Portals/0/document … ctions.pdf, our shingles that blew off were nailed high. There is a nailing zone (through the common bond at 5-1/2’’ from the bottom) but most of the nail positions on the shingles that blew off are not on the zone (at 6-7’') (this is what I tried to explain in my first message regarding the nailing problem). It seems the nailing zone is the same for all steepness values. This information along our contractor report are included in our complaint.
-All houses in our community (from the same builder) are two stories.
-We talked with our builder project manager every time our shingles blew off. During one year, we met and talked with different employees in our builder’s company and as I wrote earlier we showed our contractor’s report on high nailing. We also gave his contact number for any questions. As I wrote before, our builder project manager and contractor do not accept there is anything wrong. Our contractor’s repair estimation for our new roof is around $11000. One of the replies suggests “reasoning and reconsideringâ€Â