New OC oakridge, major disappointment - help please

That shade difference could also been mixed batch numbers from suppliers. Again not roofers fault.

FOLLOWUP: OC agreed to either replace my roof with the same shingles or give me a cash settlement for the material price to live with the aesthic issue. Im glad they stepped up to the table. Now trying to decide on what todo. The rep at OC said the shingles had “bleed thru”. The aspahlt was pressed on a little too much making the asphalt show more. It wont affect shingle itself and they will cover any other warranty issues if I take the settlement

At least they are covering this for you.

Didn’t O.C. quite making vinyl siding a few years ago? I’ve seen a lot of issues with it on homes 5-15 years old.

Listen you payed big money for the roof and the roof is in warranty. Explain to your roofer that you are not happy with the job. Don’t except some lame excuse like’ It will look that way for a few months ’ It is obvious that the shingles are defective. Keep all your receipts and Do Not let them give you some excuse. If you went to a claims Court you would win on the pictures alone.

You may be better in both ways. Would they still warrant the roof it you took the money. Or the roof could peel off in afew years and then…Limited warrantys on roofs are at the manufactures discretion regarding warrantys. You may… Only you can decide

Ideally, I’d recommend you have the roofer put on a GAF/ELK Timberline charcoal shingle. OC should just issue a check for the replacement with no strings attached. At least, that is what GAF/ELK does, in such an instance. My fear would be that the OC shingles would not match after they were replaced.

I would recommend that you not leave that roof on your house.

Yes, Im leaning on take the cash settlement and just living with it… My warranty would still cover other issues with the roof If i just took the money and lived with it.

OC said they would replace the whole roof, but only with the same product, I fear that the new shingles could be worse than the old ones. Live and learn i guess… I figure alot of people prolly wont even notice it, it only appears under direct sunlight and certain sun angles.

Gary: Why would not recommend leaving it on the house? I have it in writing its an aesethic issue only and they will warranty other issues??

Well, I am OK with leaving it on, if you don’t think it looks that bad. I just usually find that a roof that has obvious match issues on a picture is highly flawed. It is your decision to make and finding that you have to put up the same shingles makes me side with your decision anyway. Hey, a little cash sure eases the pain, too, huh?

Im glad to hear that OC step up and took the blame, sounds like you made out alrite in the end. Take care

Are we as roofers not able to confirm that the batch numbers match on all the bundles before we install them?

baddog, you mentioned earlier you did a roof with the same issue as mine… was your customers roof worse than mine…or about the same? more details please?