New roof insurance claim

I just had a new roof installed. Replaced rubber with shingles. The roofer discovered upon tear off that there was a tin roof beneath the rubber roof and what he thought was plywood decking when he walked on the structure due to the firm way it felt was actually tin and ESB board. The final offshoot is that insurance company would not pay for submission of second claim for new plywood or labor involved in installation of same and I am left with a $7000.00 invoice. I realize , $7000.00 is an inexpensive roof but can’t help but wonder if roofer ought to have verified presence or lack of plywood (can this be done?) Prior to submitting first estimate for job to insurance.
I’d this an oversight on part of roofer or something that happens occasionally? Thanks. Lol

I’d be more concerned about putting shingles on what was a EPDM roof.

The pitch of your roof may be too low for shingles.

2 Likes

Generally insurance companies will “make whole” the aspects which were directly affected by the incident which triggered the claim. It is unreasonable for anyone to expect them to make structural corrections to elements which preceded the claim. Even had they noticed the substandard structural aspects to the claimed area, it would be fully within their right to exclude that expense from the claim as it was a pre-existing condition.

My roofer did take measurements and determined there was enough of a pitch for shingles.

Thanks.

That makes sense and pretty much answers my question. Thank you for responding.

I still have an issue though in that my roofer, who admits this situation has occurred before, could have advised me better. Had he done so, had he presented the possibility of there being a need to replace or purchase plywood for whatever reason, I would have opted to put on a rubber roof, which the insurance company would have covered in entirety since it would have replaced existing roof. The roof was preforming well and the replacement could have waited for the warmer weather.

I admit to being disgruntled over a $7,000.00 balance which is a result, in my opinion, of his oversight. He did a fine job replacing the roof but failed to communicate well. I did let him know any expense would be a hardship for me.

I am willing to absorb a portion.

Thanks for providing clarity. I appreciate your time.

Gretchen

Before you are too hard on yourself, consider that you made an investment in an appreciating asset, your home. $7,000 is certainly a bite but it wasn’t spent frivolously albeit the roofer could/should have shared better information. In construction, some are better communicators and some are better installers and vice versa. At least you had the job completed properly and that’s a win in of itself.

Depending on your policy, the IC would owe to year off the other layers and install new decking. Check to see if you have Ordinsnce and Law option in your policy. This would all fall under building code requirements which is what Ordinsnce and Law covers. If you have Allstate, you’re likely screwed.

1 Like

You make a good and valid point,
I am not certain yet how I will react to this invoice but I appreciate your knowledge and commentary.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read about my issue and to respond.

Gretchen

I will check into this possibility. I have Farmer’s Insurance.
Thank you for taking time to pass on this information which of course I had not heard of before.

The Roofing.com website has many kind and knowledgeable participants who are happy to help. It is very encouraging to see this in action and I am glad I stumbled upon the site during my search for information.

I will be sure to share the site and its address with all in need of roofing advise
Thank you for your help.

Gretchen