New Roof ....should I be concerned or am I too picky?

I recently had a full roof replacement on an end-unit townhouse in Northern VA. The house is about 15 years old and some of the tiles began blowing off. These are pictures of the new roof approx 4 weeks after installation. Is this what it should look like? I know that you have to wait for new shingles to settle some, but my neighbor across the street who had her roof replaced about 3 months ago looks nothing like this! We used different contractors.

I paid approx 1/3 down, and owe the remaining 2/3 in a few days. If the roof needs more work I would like to get my contractor out here before I make that final payment. Should I trust my contractor that he did a good job, even if he comes out and fixes what appear to be problems? Should I contact an independent inspector to come take a look at it?

The roof is three stories high and fairly steep, so at this point I am just trusting anything that my contractor tells me about the quality of the installation. Thanks in advance for any comments or feedback, it is very much appreciated!

-Brian

Pix 2 & 3…Step flashing (wall flashing) may not be secured to the deck. Cause is over/under bending the step flashing (when you bend metal, you will never get a true 90 degree bend) and not secruring the flashing to the deck.

Solution: Secure step flashing to the deck

Pix 4…Crooked valley

Solution: Re-cut valley for straightness.

Pix 5…Valley looks ok, top of the valley has the shingle lifting up.

Solution: The top of the valley is a normal look, but some roofers will secure it to the deck for look…but that just means you have addition penetrations in/near valley (CRITICAL AREA)

Pix 6…Gas furnace flashing not secure to the deck.

Solution: Secure flashing to the deck, cut corners from the tops of the shingle (like you would do for the valley), and lastly…I would apply a beed of caulking (mastic in a tube) between the flashing and shingles around the inside perimeter of the flashing. (flashing is wavy because it is old, caulking will prevent water intruding sideways into the structure)

That’s doesn’t look too good.

I’d be concerned about the quality of the roof job. A picture doesn’t show as much as being there so I’m guessing it’s in worse shape than it appears.

The shingles are never going to lay flat without redoing that area.
Where is the j-channel on the upper level? I see one on the lower level. Did the roofers pull it out and toss it?

The way the key ways line up (or more accurately, don’t line up) indicate to me that the roofers don’t even have rudimentary skills.

I’d get it inspected. Nobody is perfect but the contractor shouldn’t accept this kind of work either.

I mostly agree with what others have said. The step flashing is holding the shingles up, and by nailing it to the deck in a place that will make them lie flat, you are putting a nail too low on the steps IMO. Only thing to do is to pull the siding and re-bend the steps.

Valley not straight, re cut it, no big deal.

Key ways not lining up, not a water problem but sure is ugly. Looks like they eyed it rather than snapping a bond line.

they could have painted that furnace vent. That would have been nice.

Without seeing how flashings are set or inspecting nailing, it is unsure of how the roof will perform over time. What we see here is a lot of cosmetic issues, nothing that will create a water problem but brings their roofing skills into question.

Get it inspected by an independent 3rd party, the quality of the installation looks to be very sub-par. This is not a matter of being picky . There are obvious flaws in the workmanship, most do not appear to be unfixable.
You will have to pay for the inspection. Try not to hire another roofer trying to just get the job. Cosmetic items you likely have to live with but , I would want it inspected & make certain they look at how it was nailed .
Dont pay another nickel until its inspected , but dont delay on getting it inspected either . Good luck.

Have the guy come back out. Is it me or do the pick marks look super out of wack.
As the owner of a roofing company,I would say the workmanship is poor.The step flashing issue should have been avoided.I hope the guy has a good service tech.Observe closely how they fix that… I’ve seen alot of guys really butcher that.Poor Workmanship here.

I’d have that thoroughly inspected. Comments regarding valley as no big deal, cut straight, okay. That is true. However, a quality roofer would never leave a job with the valley cut like that. Point is, if they’re that sloppy about something so obvious, is there any reason to believe they’ve been any better in critical areas? I seriously doubt it. And I’d bet money that none of the roofers commenting on this job before me would ever leave one of their jobs with the roof looking like this one.

Yeahs it looks like garbage to me.
Hope they don’t slip when cutting that valley again.

Wouldnt accept that on my home,i wouldnt pay anymore money period.I would demand a refund of what you paid and hire someone else to tear it off,when you go to resell and they inspect those crooked bond lines will jump out at them.It looks horrible and no self respecting roofing contractor would accept work like that.Im sure the nails are not installed where they need to be,the valleys would be questionable because they dont know how to install a roof correctly.

:shock:

I was gonna comment, but my GL doesn’t allow me to work on anything over 2 story…hmmmm hmmm hmmm hm hmmmmmmmm hmm hmmmmmmmm hmm hm, That’s all.

I want to personally thank everyone for their feedback, as I know very little about roofing, it certainly helps out to get some expert feedback.

I am definitely going to contact my contractor today and relay my concerns. I am also considering contacting an independent party to assess the installation. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to look? I was going to avoid contacting another contractor, just from the fact that they may be inclined to be more negative with the possibility of them eventually being in the loop to help fix the problem. The only other option that I can think of is to contact a regular home inspector (like the ones used as part of a house closing), they seem like they could certainly address the quality of the installation and could also supply a completely independent perspective.

Thanks again in advance for any help,
Brian

Look in the yellow pages for a roofing consultant,a consultant should not bid on the project.

Yes a roofing/ water proofing consultant.

My experience with home inspectors…thier knowledge is limited in roofing, stay away from them if you can.

[quote=“w1cked1”]I want to personally thank everyone for their feedback, as I know very little about roofing, it certainly helps out to get some expert feedback.

I am definitely going to contact my contractor today and relay my concerns. I am also considering contacting an independent party to assess the installation. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to look? I was going to avoid contacting another contractor, just from the fact that they may be inclined to be more negative with the possibility of them eventually being in the loop to help fix the problem. The only other option that I can think of is to contact a regular home inspector (like the ones used as part of a house closing), they seem like they could certainly address the quality of the installation and could also supply a completely independent perspective.

Thanks again in advance for any help,
Brian[/quote]

It looks like your unit is in the Centerville/Herndon/Chantilly area of Northern Virginia to me; not that it matters much. As for a consultant, look up PSI (Professional Service Industries) in Merrifield or RCLA (Russell Cather Levi & Associates) in Burtonsville, Md if you are looking for a consultant. There are a couple others in the area also, but I can’t remember them nowadays.

that looks like he!!. they did a bad job. sloppy. i would be worried about how they laid the under lament, if they even used any.

if it was my company i would send them right back, when i pick up the check since im the owner i go and inspect the roof so if there is an issue it is taken care of before payment is expected. The step flashing is like said not secure or butted too close to the vertical wall not sure. Either way that is a leak waiting to happen if the weather is correct

That valley looks bad, bad bad!!!
If they don’t do the valley right you’re sure to get leaks eventually.

When you call your consultant, make sure they check to make sure your shingles are at least nailed properly. This is extremely important because if you have to make a roof claim to the roofing manufacturer in the future and they’ve nailed the shingles improperly, the manufacturer probably won’t except your claim.