New roof

questions below

I’ve received three bids from three different roofing companies and I believe I’m going with the middle bid.

The top bid, while included some bells and whistles, the guy I was working with was very scattered, not a good gut feeling.

The lowest bid was considerably less than the first two. I did some online research and found a blog against this company - some pretty compelling stuff and city investigations. Also, they quoted a CertainTeed Pinnacle 35-year shingles. I couldn’t find any information on these and the one post I did said they were crap.

So that leaves me with the middle bid, a bunch of excellent reviews and he obtains a town permit before doing work (I don’t know if this is necessary but sounds good).

Here are some questions:

1. His quote is for 15# felt - I’m in the South and temps during the day are pushing 100 with the heat index. I read on this forum and understand safety but being in the hurricane zone with heavy thunderstorms every afternoon, I didn’t know if I should ask him about 30# instead.

2. On this form I read about ice & water shield, especially around the chimney. I don’t have gutters but expect to get them. There’s no mention of an ice & water shield, is it necessary? Should I ask for it?

3. He’s proposing CertainTeed Landmark 30-year – any reason I should ask about Landmark Plus? The CertainTeed brochure only lists one major difference of 240# v. 260# and I do not know what this means.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions and recommendations!

There is no such thing as certainteed Pinnacle. Either you are mistaken or they made a typo in the bid(or they are idiots). Atlas Pinnacle is the shingle, and in my opinion are not crap.

Where in the south do you live? If your local building codes require ice shield then you should use it. If not then you probably don’t need to.

I’m on the coast in South Carolina.

The lowest of the three quotes did call for an ice & water shield moisture guard in valleys, around chimeny and all wall flashings. He also proposed the 30# felt. That quote reads: “Re-shingle entire roof with Certainteed Brand 35-Year Pinnacle Architecural Roof Shingle using a 1-1/4 roofing nail with (6) nails per shingle.”

So if it was a typo and he meant Atlas, he did list the ice & water shield, 30# felt and is about $1K cheaper. The lack of any reviews and the bad blog about a botched job have me on edge.

1. His quote is for 15# felt - I’m in the South and temps during the day are pushing 100 with the heat index. I read on this forum and understand safety but being in the hurricane zone with heavy thunderstorms every afternoon, I didn’t know if I should ask him about 30# instead.

no. 15# is fine, as long as your roof isnt really steep. IMO, 30# isnt any more “waterproof” for your roof than 15#. if you have a bunch of water getting thru the shingles onto the felt, you have other issues.

1. On this form I read about ice & water shield, especially around the chimney. I don’t have gutters but expect to get them. There’s no mention of an ice & water shield, is it necessary? Should I ask for it?

** dont need it, but its an extra precaution. again, if its needed in your application, its likely because the installation wasnt correct. millions of roofs have been installed for hundreds of years without it, and didnt leak**

1. He’s proposing CertainTeed Landmark 30-year – any reason I should ask about Landmark Plus? The CertainTeed brochure only lists one major difference of 240# v. 260# and I do not know what this means.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions and recommendations!

**like said, there is no such thing. he meant Atlas Pinnacle.

and the Atlas is a great shingle. lays real flat, sticks really good, holds up well to traffic. i’d put it on my house in a heartbeat. in fact, im probably going to.

good luck, and keep us informed to your decision!**

I did some more research and I believe I’m going to go with the second quote albeit $1K more with 15# paper, no water shield quoted and CertainTeed Landmark shingles… thanks so much - I’ll post before and after pics!

If the middle contractor is as reliable and proficient as you believe, ask him about the ice and water and 30lb, if you believe it is necessary. I am sure if he is any good, he will have no problem upgrading you to these systems or educating you as to why they are not necessary. If he is going to get a permit, he understands that the city can at any moment send an inspector to the sight, so I think he would do everything up to the local building codes.
Personally, I agree with Agape, that ice and water is not necessary, but an extra precautionary measure.

just my $0.02…good luck

johne5

LM Plus most definitely a better shingle

be glad your getting any underlayment in s.c.

gweedo.