New to roofing need sales tips

Hello im new to roofing and just wanted to see if anyone out there could give me some tips on door knocking, opening lines, overcoming objections, and closing tactics. Thank you.

1. Learn what it takes to put a roof on & THEN you’ll know what makes a good roof.

IMO, it’s like trying to sell cars & you’ve never driven one.

I have sold cars so I know that whole process and my brother is a sub a builds the roofs so I know the building process. The problem im having is opening lines at the door and overcoming their objections.

IMO you have about 15 seconds to spark interest.And thats if they are truly in need of your services.

I have had doors open and closed before I could see the homeowner.

I also had a homeowner that I nick named Crazy B(&%$#,I heard her scream thru the house as she was coming to the door.I thought it was me.I waited a house down and watched as other knockers were coming down the street.

As soon as they knocked I heard her,funny stuff., I was so confident she could not be signed that I offered other guys $500 to sign her.When I left OKC she was never signed.

What is a good opening line to spark their interest?

If you email me with a number i can walk you threw the whole process

I’m fairly new to, good advice. How about Roofing Certification, like GAF Master Elite and CertainTeed’s Select Shingler, are these worth the trouble? How about Malarkey, do they have an exclusive contractor program?

Gtp1003 How can i get in touch with you. The email on your signature seems to be invalid ?

Really nice tips people. You all have done a great job. Thanks for the suggestions.

Be careful with the word BUT, infact I’d almost scratch it from my vocabulary.

I’m sorry the storm tore off your shingles BUT…
I hate to be the bearer of bad news BUT…

The word BUT forces the customer to brace for the impact of what you say next. How many times has your wife said, “I love you honey but,…” When she leads off with that, you know a sh!tstorm is coming. :lol:

The other thing you have to consider is that some people just WON’T bite on the first contact. Follow up & persistence is key. It helps to be the first, fifth, ninth, and thirteenth person to contact them about their roof. Sooner or later somebody is going to get that job.

[quote=“MattAL”]

Be careful with the word [glow=red]BUT[/glow], in fact I’d almost scratch it from my vocabulary.

I’m sorry the storm tore off your shingles [glow=red]BUT[/glow]…
I hate to be the bearer of bad news [glow=red]BUT[/glow]…

The word [glow=red]BUT[/glow] forces the customer to brace for the impact of what you say next. How many times has your wife said, “I love you honey [glow=red]but[/glow],…” When she leads off with that, you know a sh!tstorm is coming. [/quote]

That’s a good one; I think it might have been in a Zig Ziglar seminar I went through when I 1st learned about “but”.

A better TRANSITIONAL word (& one that seems a lot softer) is “however”.

Example:

“The roof looked fine when we first walked it, however there does appear to be some rotten decking…”

As I often tell my kids, it’s not always WHAT you say but HOW you say it.

Just price at $225 per sq. and hope that you’ve got the prettiest smile and the sweetest butt.

And as material prices and the costs of doing business continue to go up, don’t forget to keep lowering your price

[quote=“Idiot Savant”]Just price at $225 per sq. and hope that you’ve got the prettiest smile and the sweetest butt.

And as material prices and the costs of doing business continue to go up, don’t forget to keep lowering your price[/quote]

Well put I.S,

When doing an estimate always go in with an open mind. One of the biggest mistakes roofers make is that they don’t listen to the potential customer.

If the homeowner wants a roof repair give them a roof repair estimate. If a homeowner wants a roof replacement then give them a roof replacement estimate.

You’d be surprised how many roofers ignore this advise. The homeowners typically know what they want so provide them with the best solution that fits what they are looking for.

Well, basically I think you’ve got diversify your marketing strategy. Word of mouth, paper ads, signs, and leaflets are all good ways of getting out there. Although knocking on doors and soliciting can sometimes seem desperate. I’ve heard of people mailing postcards instead of door knocking, which seems a bit classier. Online marketing is also a very effective tool in this modern age; plus people want some kind of testament to your reputability, and most have reviews. I know a lot of San Jose roofing contractors that have benefited from that type of marketing. I’ve even seen bulletin boards in hardware stores where you can post up advertisements. So just do as much as you can, because every bit counts. Goodluck!

how bout “HOLY SHIT WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR ROOF”

:lol: OR

HOW U DOIN MY NAME IS … AND IM WITH… ROOFING COMPANY. WE ARE WORKING IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD THIS WEEK ASSESSING THE DAMAGE DONE BY THE RECENT STORMS. WOULD YOU MIND LETTING US GIVE YOU A FREE INSPECTION TODAY TO HELP WITH OUR ASSESSMENT?

I think that you would learn how to give good sales pitches if you know what you are doing and what you are talking about.

The best way is to learn how to do it first and from that, you would know what would make up for an interesting opening line or how you could let it flow.

I suggest that you build a model you could bring and just pop from your car’s trunk to demonstrate something.

[quote=“adamh”]I think that you would learn how to give good sales pitches if you know what you are doing and what you are talking about.

The best way is to learn how to do it first and from that, you would know what would make up for an interesting opening line or how you could let it flow.

I suggest that you build a model you could bring and just pop from your car’s trunk to demonstrate something.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. Car Salesmen don’t need to understand how to overhaul an engine in order to sell a car. What is needed to sell roofs is a good work ethic, positive attitude, sales skills and enough brains to understand how to differentiate the company they’re selling for from the competitors. I think one would consider a new roof a capital investment. The more important aspect is for the Salesperson to be able to establish a trust bond with the HO. This is a sales skill, not a technical skill. Roofing isn’t rocket science.

Take your pants off, it’s always worked for me.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]

[quote=“adamh”]I think that you would learn how to give good sales pitches if you know what you are doing and what you are talking about.

I suggest that you build a model you could bring and just pop from your car’s trunk to demonstrate something.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. Car Salesmen don’t need to understand how to overhaul an engine in order to sell a car. What is needed to sell roofs is a good work ethic, positive attitude, sales skills and enough brains to understand how to differentiate the company they’re selling for from the competitors. I think one would consider a new roof a capital investment. The more important aspect is for the Salesperson to be able to establish a trust bond with the HO. This is a sales skill, not a technical skill. Roofing isn’t rocket science.[/quote]

Maybe. I can’t sell, but my work sells itself. I look at a job, and state what needs to be done and a price. I either get it or not. :lol: