OC Premium Duration Shingles

This shingle appears to be very lightweight compared to other lifetime dimensional shingles. I am told that they are around 250 lbs per square. How much of a factor does weight play in the life of a shingle?

I believe the OC Duration Premium are around 85 pounds per bundle, 4 bundles per square which would result in a per square weight of approximately 340 pounds.

I have heard of problems with durations catching water and rusting out the nails cause of the continuous tar strip.
Haven’t seen this myself though.

CHIBOLITA WORRY ABOUT A QUALITY INSTALL

I want to focus on a quality install, but I am not sure how to make certain I will get one. I can’t be up on the roof and even if I was, I don’t know what to look for. Perhaps ask each roofer for references on work they did about 5 years ago to see if there have been any leaks? Most neighbors I have asked said they loved their roofer because he was quick and cheap. Those two words really don’t mean anything to me. Perhaps I ask the wrong questions.

Also, what should be in your contract? Do good roofers break down the material cost from the cost of labor so you can see where your money is going? I’m not even sure what a good contract should consist of.

Help, Shanglenailer. Thanks.

All I can tell you is keep getting estimates until you find someone you trust. I wouldn’t expect anyone to seperate material and labor costs. There are far more than those 2 numbers that can go into the cost equation. Yes check references. Ask for them. Also ask for insurance certificates, and business/contractors licenses.

Worrying about shingle brand will do you little good, cause a great shingle cannot makeup for a crappy install.

Find someone you trust, and then leave him to do the job.

What items should always be on a contract? The roofer’s warranty terms perhaps? The contract I have in hand seems a little vague to me.

Install grey or black evedrip trim. Both would look fabulous. then install Duration premium “Merlot”.

It looks like the only thing missing is the roofers labor warranty. He just forgot to put it on there. Just ask him, he will instantly comply with a written number. Not a problem.

What you need to know is the companys basic information. Then the proposal should Specifically say that the existing roof is to be removed if you are expecting it so.
What is the products being used?
What are the terms of the two warrantys.(one material, one labor workmanship)
and how much does your roof total cost(besides yet unseen woodwork) and
The terms of how you will be paying.
These are the essentials.

A lot of roofers give their free time and spend their money (like me)to give you a free proposal. Asking for any other numbers is not fair in my book. He has already given you his free time, gas money, livelihood, paper work, proposal.
I don’t give away free measurements anymore. If you want those numbers, you need to pay me for them.

How much i pay for everything and the total breakdown of my business is none of your business. YOUR TOTAL ROOFING COST, the amount that you write on that check, is the amount that you should be concerned with.

Now i am comfortable giving you the measurement numbers AFTER you have committed to the job. But not before.

Also, i want to comment that a start and finish date is unusual and i wouldn’t do that unless the homeowner requested it. THats just begging for possible disappointment and legal troubles.

Now after reading all this and you probably being in total disagreement :), please consider my exact color scheme. I promise, it will look awesome and all at the mid-range shingle prices.
Here, those shingles are almost the same cost as the certainteed 30 year landmark architect. I can get those duration premium designer arch shingles for just 3dollars a sq more. Different prices everywhere, i’m sure. But they are very comparable in price.

Thanks for the reply. He left off his warrnty information and for payment terms he put" upon invoice" so I’m not sure what that means.

As for merlot, we don’t get that color here, so I have to pick something else.

Thanks for the help.

Although I am going with an OC Duration shingle probably in Quarry Gray. It’s a little light, but finding something to complement my brick has been tough.

Do you think there is much difference between the 30 year Duration and the Duration Premium?

I’m thinking of getting the algae resistant shingle, though I would have to have it shipped at an extra cost. Don’t want algae on a light roof.

[quote=“Chibolita”]Thanks for the reply. He left off his warrnty information and for payment terms he put" upon invoice" so I’m not sure what that means.

As for merlot, we don’t get that color here, so I have to pick something else.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Upon invoice just means he’s going to give you an invoice at the end of the job and expects payment then.
Note, NOBODY has the **duration premium designer colors **in stock. They need to be special ordered through your roofing supplier.
My second choice for you would be the black evedrip trim with “Pacific wave”

To clarify, I checked my zip on the Owens Corning web site and those colors (Merlot and Pacific Wave) aren’t available here. I picked up a board of Summer Harvest, but that was a real clash. I’m actually torn between Quarry Gray and Harbor Blue.

Thanks for clarifying about the color of the evedrip trim because he didn’t specify. He also didn’t specify the color of the valleys. He told me that the valleys only come in brown, black and something else. THey can be painted right?

[quote=“Chibolita”]To clarify, I checked my zip on the Owens Corning web site and those colors (Merlot and Pacific Wave) aren’t available here. I picked up a board of Summer Harvest, but that was a real clash. I’m actually torn between Quarry Gray and Harbor Blue.

Thanks for clarifying about the color of the evedrip trim because he didn’t specify. He also didn’t specify the color of the valleys. He told me that the valleys only come in brown, black and something else. THey can be painted right?[/quote]

It is my opinion that you are incorrect.
If you got your actual hands on a summer harvest sample board, Than all 5 designer colors are available to you.
once you choose the field color, then i would have an opinion on the valley color.

Believe me, I have looked at every color imaginable. The designer colors vary by region. The Merlot and the Pacific Wave aren’t available.

So my two choices are Quarry Gray and Harbor Blue. Should I just get galvanized valleys and have them painted?

We have installed Durations a lot the last year or so with no problem, especially the designer series, which ABC supplies most colors.

Thanks fellas.