OC vs. GAF vs. Certainteed

ok heres another one for ya’ll… What shingle brand do you prefer using? I have always used gaf but recently have been disappointed and considering switching just wondering what you guys think.

GAF Timberline are the bast laminate on the market. We use and have tried them all. Certainteed is second best but seems to have a shading issues from time to time.

Oh yes, The problem with OC is the solid glue strip. It traps water and rots out the nails.

have you used them recently j? i used to think so but the last couple batches i got were cracked and already missing a large amount of granules… brand new shingle looked like they already had hail damage!

On a national level…

O.C…Makes a decent 3-tab and is fun to lay. As for its durability? There are better 3-tabs locally, but they have minor goofs you have to deal with when you open the packages.

Gaf-Elk…Makes a decent laminate, but locally, Mularkey brands laminate are the best…and most expensive laminate.

Cert…Makes the best prezy version, but grand sequia are more fun to lay

Certainteed every time.

GAF offers a great residential system, warranty and support. Right now we are installing the Grand Sequoia Shingle. These are a little challenging to install, however, the Sequoias seal like no other shingle that we have seen.

The Timberline Shingles have always been reliable too.

certainteed…hands down.

I like GAF colors but Certainteed is what I like to install. OC is junk in my opinion.

Certainteed is my first choice GAF would be a close second and as for OC IMO they are junk.

Be wary of this question also, for example some roofers pay the $500 to be Certainteed certified and therefore will push Certainteed.

With that said, I have contractor-grade arch. shingles (Certainteed) on my house, but will eventually re-roof with GAF/Elk. Of course, I preferred Elk prior to their marriage with GAF, but you can’t have everything.

GAF bundle wrappers suck, they lose enough granules to make a roof slick, and won’t stay on a 6/12 due to granule loss. On the other hand they have the best sealant strip on the market, but the downside to that is prying shingles apart when it’s over 30 C.

Certainteed has easier to handle wrappers. They don’t lose granules, and they will sit on a 7/12 by themselves. They have a super wide nailing strip for ease of install. At 35C they come apart no problem and don’t flop around like a wet GAF noodle.
The only colour I have seen issues with is the Moire Black, but it’s no different than GAF Charcoal.

OC, not enough experience with it to say.

I have struggled to understand the love affair here with GAF. I don’t like them and more importantly, my very experienced Indiana Crew really doesn’t like them. We like OC Duration and have had very good luck with that particular shingle. I will readily admit to being leery of the Oakridge. We also like the quality of the Certainteed Landmark.

We recently started using Atlas Pinnacle and it is starting to win us over.

I believe it is more important to settle on one or two that you can purchase from a good supplier that has adequate inventory with good storage and handling. Each shingle brand has some nuances so let the crew get used to installing that shingle consistently. A quality installation is far more important than the differences between the major shingle manufacturers anyway.

Atlas? Really?

Yes, really. Here’s a picture of a house we did last week with the Atlas Pinnacle Heatherblend. Unfortunately, this picture doesn’t do it justice. I thought it looked fantastic but most importantly, the Homeowner loved it.

I’m also an Atlas fan. Ive done several very high end homes with their shingles, and never had a problem, never even a single blow off, while houses all around them had shingles, tabs, or even whole sections blow away in high winds/tornadoes.

now, i voted for GAF on the poll, because I have had terrible luck with CT, and their warranty was absolutely terrible. Even after meeting with the VP and guy who runs the manufacturing plant in Texas on a street where I did 5 houses, and not a single one of them would seal up. 10-12 pitch 50-60sq houses, missing shingles everywhere after several repairs, and they told us to our face, and to the customer, that they would pay us to HAND SEAL … wait for it… EVERY SHINGLE. not kidding.

after that, i vowed to never install a CT shingle again, unless the customer wouldnt have it any other way. and when they do (ive put a few on this year) I warn them about the problems ive had, and tell them that warranty issues with the shingles sealing will have to be dealt with direct to CT.

I dont have issues with GAF aside from the occasional shingle in a bundle, or like mentioned… torn up wrappers before they make it up to the rooftop.

I tell customers that I dont sell OC.

When we sell, we present in this order as “best”:

GAF
Atlas
Malarky
TAMKO

[quote=“bcdemon”]GAF bundle wrappers suck, they lose enough granules to make a roof slick, and won’t stay on a 6/12 due to granule loss. On the other hand they have the best sealant strip on the market, but the downside to that is prying shingles apart when it’s over 30 C.

Certainteed has easier to handle wrappers. They don’t lose granules, and they will sit on a 7/12 by themselves. They have a super wide nailing strip for ease of install. At 35C they come apart no problem and don’t flop around like a wet GAF noodle.
The only colour I have seen issues with is the Moire Black, but it’s no different than GAF Charcoal.

OC, not enough experience with it to say.[/quote]

couldnt of said it better myself. The tack strip is terrible to deal with if its at all nice out.

My last roof was a gaf 30 and i felt like i was installing a 15 year shingle it was so damn thin!
guess it didnt help the roof before that was landmark TL…

Certainteed only. Proven pro quality you cant buy at home depot or lowes.

[quote=“Cerberus”]Be wary of this question also, for example some roofers pay the $500 to be Certainteed certified and therefore will push Certainteed.

With that said, I have contractor-grade arch. shingles (Certainteed) on my house, but will eventually re-roof with GAF/Elk. Of course, I preferred Elk prior to their marriage with GAF, but you can’t have everything.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about? I am a Certainteed Select Roofer and ain’t gave them a damn dime. Now the GAF rep was in my office trying to get me to pay him to sell his shingles. Won’t never happen!

Cerebus, you need to stick to “consulting”.

Here’s my new quote: “Those who can, do! Those who can’t, try telling other people what to do!”

You know who you are!

:o Ha ha ha. yeah i dont tell anyone but im a former member of the Roof Consultants Institute,
That and two dollars will buy you a cup of coffee