? on re-roof over Archtect and Ice and Water

Ok I have a Tampco Archect shingled roof that is only about 11 years old one layer . I see some stones in my gutter from time to time but overall the roof looks fine you may see a stone missing here or there but no big bare spots. How many years do you get out of a 30 yr Archect shingle as a rule ? Mine are light gray, Also if and when you need a re-roof can you go over one layer of Archects with another ? If not and you need to do a tear off what do you do about the ice and water shield ? How do you know when its time to redo with these style shingles ?? Thanks fellas !

Not a pro, but I will share what I have learned. a 30 year shingle can reasonably last 25 good years, given that the ventilation is correct. If there is not adequate air flow, the shingles can fail well short of 25 years.

As for doing second layers, it can be done, but it is not a good idea. The original layer creates all sort of heat build-up issues and will cause the top (new) layer to age and fail prematurely.

also the top layer will look extermely bumpy and waivy due to the raised effect of a laminated shingle underneath it.

So… it is never done ? Also if you do a tear off how do you replace the ice and water ? Would it make better sence to go over the Archets with a metal roof for cost ??

Certainteed recommends against installing laminate shingles over laminate shingles. Not sure about putting a three tab style shingle over a laminte.

Laminates have really gotten popular in the past 10 years so it’s tough to gauge just how long they will last on average.

Last Summer bid on a 20 year old 110sq house with Elk 30 year laminates. The house had some blow off issues over the years mainly due to poor installation but the shingles were bad on half the roof that saw the most sun. The North facing sides could have gone another 10 years.

Last Summer tore off a 16 year GAF Timberline 25 that looked worse than the 20 year old Elk roof.

This Summer tore off a couple roofs with Landmark 25’s that still looked good at 10-12 years (hail damage).

In the Haag book it shows pictures of roofs with laminate shingle. Some seem to loose the granuals just on the thick spots and some all over the shingle. Some show large cracks all the way through the shingles.

Granular loose is normal in a shingles life and there’s a formula I’ve heard as to how many granuals have come off a roof after 10 years on average.

After 5 hail storms finally got the chance to inspect a roof I did 4.5 years ago with Certainteed Landmark Hunter Green. The house was involved in the Northfield, MN hail storm of Aug 24’th with hail reported up to 3.75in. The adjuster came the day after the call was put in so wasn’t able to be there. He totalled out the siding on all sides and said no damage on the roof covering.

The metal turtle vents all had decent dents in them, five holes were found in the Accessory ridge caps and two holes were found in the closed valley but very little damage was found on the actual shingles. A lot of granular loss was reported in the gutters but without a lot of impact marks it’s going to be tough to get this laminate shingle aproved.

The adjuster told the home owner “I couldn’t imagine what it would be like doing this roof”! What this statement told me was he was actually to lazy to diagram the 40sq 6/12 10/12 with three window dormers and tarret. It was easier to say, “It has no damage”.

Even a decent adjuster would have spotted the holes in the ridge and valleys and also wrote up replacing all vents.

[quote]
Not a pro, but I will share what I have learned. a 30 year shingle can reasonably last 25 good years, given that the ventilation is correct. If there is not adequate air flow, the shingles can fail well short of 25 years.

As for doing second layers, it can be done, but it is not a good idea. The original layer creates all sort of heat build-up issues and will cause the top (new) layer to age and fail prematurely.[/quote]

You Sir get an “A” for the day, :smiley:

Guess I need to clear up, Is there any roofers out there who have gone over an Archet shingled oof with another roof ? If not and you tear off how do you remove the ice and water shield ??

you can go over arch shingles.(cats out of the bag now)
it may telegraph but that not that bad considering the cost difference. you will have better success with a heavy shingle like a 50 year. it will not last 50 years but it will look the best and serve you well.
best roofing practices should still be involved(cutting back edges,proper nailing and removing hips ect.). don’t let the gardener slam a layer on there.
no shingle maker recommends going over anything with anything else anyway.

you can not remove ice shield. you have to go over it (thats hack) or change the wood.

ok Hoss have you ever done it ?? Any pics of it ?? Could you put a new drip edge over the exsisting roof so you would see only one layer from the ground ?? Thanks

There is a drip edge called c-channel that is made just for this purpose

its kind of like fat chicks and mopeds. you do it but you don’t tell your friends. nor do you take pics.

there is nothing to see if your roof is generally flat the new one will be. its all around you its hard to notice you are not the first guy to do it. cutting back edges, installing dripedge ,removing hips thats all good roofing practices. all that stuff is in a book its not hard to find and i don’t type that good.

once you type something on this site that angers the protectors of good roofing practices everywhere it brings a chit storm down on you. so don’t expect real life answers. this is roofing never land where its always done by the book or else.

So true, so true…
We all cheat sometimes, some do it as a matter of doing business and some do it because they are asked to…
A big part of being a good roofer is knowing good ways to cheat.

So… If one was to do a roof over Archcts with new 50 yr Archets you would use the c channel drip edge then remove hip and ridge but how would you start the bottom course ? Would you use starter or but up to the second course with full shingle ?? Anyone have pics of a roof over this way ??? Thanks guys it just seems as though these Tampco’s loose alot of stones. there are no big patches missing but you can see a few stones here and there missing mostly on the edges :roll:

Can you post a picture of this granule loss?
All shingles lose granules over time, it is one of the ways that they age.
There is normal wear and there is excessive loss of granules.
Without a pic we can’t tell you which is the case for your roof.

If the Tamko shingles on your house were the 30 yr variety when you bought them they are the same as today’s 40 yr…

they were the 25 year and that was 11 years ago. How do I post a pic ??

If you ran 5 5/8in exposured laminates over 5 5/8th exposed laminates telegraphing of the rows shouldn’t be that noticeable.

Problem is most older laminates have a 5in exposure.

I would not go over them. Do the job correctly. I honestly do not know what will happen if you go over archs. I do know the manufacturer does not want that to happen. Its one thing to go over a 3 tab. Going over an arch roof just sounds like a problem thats going to happen. But i will NOT tell you its ok. It could void warranty.

I was just thinking if down the road instead of doing a tear off doing a roof over. The revel is 5" on these. I do see stones missing again not big spots just a few on the tabs here and there and I cant imagine it lasting another 10 tears or more ??

If the roof is applied correctly it can look truly horrible before it starts to leak…