Patchwork Roof Sheathing? Selling house--inspector

I’m in the process of selling my house. The home buyers had an inspection and in it, it was noted that the wood sheathing ( his term) was “patch worked” together and recommended replacing it. The current roof is 3 years old has one layer of shingles. The house is 60 years old. When I had the roof replaced 3 years ago, a few areas had some soft spots so some of the wood was replaced. Their inspector says the roof is in great shape with no problems. The roofing company went into the attic and did not see anything wrong. He also went onto the roof and everything is fine. He is willing to meet with the buyers.
Is there anything I can do to show the buyers? I know they think that the roofing company is going to say that everything is okay and they will not believe them. If all the wood sheathing is replaced, would some of it fall in my new insulation? (By the way, there is NO way I’m going to pay for a new roof and sheathing when there is nothing wrong with it.) Just hate to lose a sale a couple weeks before closing.

There is absolutely no reason to replace all the sheeting in the situation you are describing. Stupid recommendations like that give home inspectors a bad name.

If your area has a local building inspector perhaps you can contact him and get him to state that the bad wood was replaced properly.

Sounds like the home inspector is mistaken. If there is something wrong with the sheathing the inspector should have proof.
Your roofer stated that it is fine.
And your roofer is willing to meet your buyer.

I agree with everyone else in this forum. There is no need to replace the sheathing and the inspector should be ashamed of him/herself for suggesting it.

It’s only 3 years old…ask your roofer to transfer the warranty to the buyer .even extend the warranty to give buyer security.if there is truly nothing wrong with the roof the roofer would have no problem extending it ten years or so…that’s a pretty good peace of mind.

**[quote=“SuzieQ, post:1, topic:16406, full:true”]
I’m in the process of selling my house. The home buyers had an inspection and in it, it was noted that the wood sheathing ( his term) was “patch worked” together and recommended replacing it. The current roof is 3 years old has one layer of shingles. The house is 60 years old. When I had the roof replaced 3 years ago, a few areas had some soft spots so some of the wood was replaced. Their inspector says the roof is in great shape with no problems. The roofing company went into the attic and did not see anything wrong. He also went onto the roof and everything is fine. He is willing to meet with the buyers.
Is there anything I can do to show the buyers? I know they think that the roofing company is going to say that everything is okay and they will not believe them. If all the wood sheathing is replaced, would some of it fall in my new insulation? (By the way, there is NO way I’m going to pay for a new roof and sheathing when there is nothing wrong with it.) Just hate to lose a sale a couple weeks before closing.
[/quote]

I think you may be right that you are going to have a hard time satisfying this buyer.
I believe they are using this as a tactic to lower the price.
I would stand firm and deny this particular buyer.
Their home inspector sounds like a Jack ass that thinks that since a corner of a piece of plywood is rotten that they should replace the whole sheet of plywood.
Like I said, a jackass with no working experience.

1 Like

As stated above, have the roofing company transfer the warranty to the new buyer. If there is no warranty, then request the Roofing Company give you a 3 year Roof Certification. In California that usually keeps all parties happy.