Patio Overhang to Acrylic Stucco

I just framed out a free standing 4 post patio overhang that butts up to my newly stucco’d addition on my house. I framed it only 1/4 inch from the house. I am going to install comp shingles on the roof. My question is, how do I install the metal step flashing on the wall of the pre-existing stucco?

When they did the stucco on the rest of the house, all the areas that needed the metal flashing was done prior to the stucco. Now that the stucco is brand new and done and it’s not leaking, is it necessary to cut into the stucco just to install the metal?

What do roofers do in this situation?

I attached a couple pictures.

You could use a gum cup counterflashing or cut into new stucco and put counter.

What is gum cup counterflashing? Do you know of any links? Sorry, I don’t know much about roofing.

I really don’t want to cut into the stucco because the way I see it:

The stucco is sealed and brand new, so what is the point of messing with it when it is just a patio overhang. The worst that would happen if I don’t cut into the stucco to install the step metal is that rain might somehow get past and go onto my patio concrete, which would be getting soaked anyway if there were no overhang. The important thing is that the exterior house wall doesn’t get any water intrusion which obviously is not right now.

Try this website

wph.com/counter-flashingreglets

Its a little more fancy then what we use but you can also have a local sheet metal shop make one for you just make sure it has a outer crimp on top so that you can put a good bead of sealant. A few screws into your stucco and call it a day.

Thanks for the info guys.

I really don’t want to screw anything into the stucco above the roof. Is it possible to adhere flashing without screws?

What sealant will stick to acrylic stucco?

I usually refer to the flashing you seek as caulk edge.

If you don’t want to penetrate the stucco then why use step flashing at all? I would just shingle it as it is and just let it leak onto the patio. It’s not big deal for you if it leaks anyway right.
I would be more concerned about that first rafter that isn’t fastened to the house.

[quote=“828br”]If you don’t want to penetrate the stucco then why use step flashing at all? I would just shingle it as it is and just let it leak onto the patio. It’s not big deal for you if it leaks anyway right.
I would be more concerned about that first rafter that isn’t fastened to the house.[/quote]

It is right outside my master bedroom, so I would prefer that when it’s raining that it stays dry when I step out onto the patio.

What I was saying is, the stucco doesn’t leak now, so if there is a way to not penetrate it with screws, but still install some metal flashing, that would be ideal.

I have another rafter for each side that I haven’t nailed up yet that will be up against the house. I’m still trying to decide whether I want to attach it to the house or just go really close.

Look into appropriate adhesives.