Paying my contractor

My insurance paid for my roof, gutters, and to stain my fence. My contractors contract said they would do the job for insurance proceeds. Does that mean the all the money from the claim (roof, gutters, and fence) or just the roof and gutter proceeds bc that’s all they are doing.

I’m going to change a couple of words in your statement and it might help you visualize it a bit clearer. Read this;

“My friend paid for my roof, gutters, and to stain my fence. My contractors contract said they would do the job for the money my friend is giving. Does that mean the all the money given from my friend (roof, gutters, and fence) or just the amount owed for the roof and gutter bc that’s all they are doing.”

What do you think is the right answer?

Edit: Is this an ethics forum because my parents taught me this stuff …

Sounds like the contractor only does roofing and gutters. You will only pay them the part of the claim that is roof and gutter. To complete the claim, you will have to find a painter or someone to stain the fence. You will have 2 completion invoices to send to the Claims office if you have Replacement Cost.

1 Like

Why would an insurance company pay to stain a fence?

Hail damage splintering the wood and paint.

All means all. Basic restoration contracts say the contractor must provide all work as it pertains to the insurance scope of work. If we deviate at all from the scope of work we require an addendum showing the re-allocation so everyone’s on the same page. Admittedly because I’m the owner I often just do a verbal agreement, which I don’t suggest.

1 Like