Permit question

Are homeowners required to get a permit if they want to redo the roof on their own house themselves?

Generally speaking, yes. In most places you see Kestas, a permit is nothing more than a tax.

Are they taxing bathroom breaks where you live yet?

Kestas I don’t know Michigan standards, however the permit & subsequent inspections are a bit of a guarantee that the minimum standards will be met both in product selection & method of installation when the work is done.

“Are homeowners required to get a permit if they want to redo the roof on their own house themselves?”

Roofing work on anything may or may not require a permit, depending on the municipality and the scope of work. You will need to call the building dept of the municipality that the building is in and inquire as to if a permit is needed or not. We usually aquire the permit for the homeowner as a courtesy but it can be a pain more often than not.

The task of pulling permits can range greatly from city to city or county to county in MN.

Some cities charge a fee based on value, some charge a flat rate. One city will charge as much as $385 for a roofing permit while another city will charge a flat rate of $25.50, $40, or $60 (these are the lowest prices) for a roofing permit.

Most cities and counties average around $100 for permit fees which usually only take a few minutes to process and print.

Some cities want to see the decking and ice and water shield in person while other cities don’t want to see any pictures and even some cities and counties don’t need permits at all unless you change a roof slope.

Did a million dollar lake home in a county that no permit was needed a couple years ago. Last Fall shingled a half million dollar house in a county that didn’t require permits.

I agree it’s just another tax. When some cities find out that insurance companies pay permit fees they double or even triple their permit fees.

Most places in Michigan do not require a permit to do roof work & where it is required the homeowner can pull their own if they are doing the work. Some of the Citys do require a permit , I know Grand Rapids does but most people & roofers don’t bother getting one in Grand Rapids . I’ve done hundreds of Roofs in Grand Rapids & I have only pulled one permit. They don’t do any inspections & its only a tax on roofers , Homeowners pull one its free.So check your local govt to see if you even need one

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]“Are homeowners required to get a permit if they want to redo the roof on their own house themselves?”

Roofing work on anything may or may not require a permit, depending on the municipality and the scope of work. You will need to call the building dept of the municipality that the building is in and inquire as to if a permit is needed or not. We usually aquire the permit for the homeowner as a courtesy but it can be a pain more often than not.[/quote]

You get the Permit?..in some place you cant do that…thats funny…

Thanks for the answers. I did my roof myself, using premium materials and the excellent roofing practices people use on this site. My buddies are scaring me, telling me that I first needed a permit, and can get fined if I don’t have one. Plus, some savvy howbuyer might ask to see the permit when the time comes to sell my house, which may be soon should I find my dream house.

So you did you roof for esthtics reasons and to help sell your house?
You must have saved alot of money…
if it too much of a problem could you possibly tell us how much the new roof helped in the selling of your house…
If id did you could sell that kind of information and maybe possibly broker a deal with a realistate agency…
im kinda in research on the subject…
any feed back would be awsome…
and good luck on finding your dream home…
peace

First misconception on this supject is putting a new roof on your house does not make the house worth 4000 dollars more. The house needs a roof and you will get a strike against you if you do not have a good condtion one when the appraiser comes to look. I just sold a 50 year roof to one yesterday and we had this discussion. Kinda like the fools that put a 4k counter top in and expect the house to be worth 10k more. Come on the real estate market here in michigan is finnaly coming to the point of what homes are really worth not the crazy numbers that they have been at for the last 5 or so years. If it was worth 200k 2 years ago its worth 175 now. My fathers house he bought for something liek 220k was apprased at 325 2 years ago. He can get rid of it for 240k right now in about 6 months time on the market. I hope you did not do the roof to expect 5k more on the house.

As far as a permit depending on where you live is depending on what will happen. I know you in michigan but where is the question. I know this was not done in 1 day so if it was a major problem then you would already know about it. I have heard of people getting back charged for not pulling permits in some citys through the years.

In my neighborhood (Livonia), there is rather fierce competition for home sellers… more than anywhere else in the US. The buyer can pretty much expect the house to be in ready-to-move-in condition, or they’ll pass and look for one that has no deferred maintenance. The houses that have sold in the past few years had their roofs replaced about the same time as the sale, so I suspect that a new roof was either negotiated into the buyer’s contract, or it was done immediately before sale, and is an important consideration for the home buyer.

My roof was original on this 46-year-old house. The 3rd layer was 24 years old. I was beginning to notice some rot at the eaves. This, in part, led me to redo the roof. I replaced the roof not with the attitude of adding 4K or some specific number to the selling price, but so the house can move quicker when the time will come. In our neighborhood new roofs are easily distinguished from the old roofs because the old ones are 3-tab, and the new ones are all dimensional.

I’ll share the details of my work in another thread for your critique. All that is left is to finish the chimney counterflashings and it’s ready for pictures.