(Pics added) Pres TL shingles damaged during installation

About six weeks ago I had my house re-roofed with Presidential TL shingles. Some of you may remember me as I posted some questions during the bidding process.

Well, I noticed some tar-looking marks on the roof in the front of my house. I mentioned to my general contractor who is working inside the house, and looked up on the roof by opening a skylight. He said one entire side of the house has damaged shingles and that it looks like the installers walked all over it on a hot day. I peeked through the skylight too and saw that many shingles were squished/damaged at the edges.

I called CertainTeed and told them about it, and they said it sounds like shingle damage and that the installers are not supposed to work in heat because it is known to risk shingle damage. It was probably 90 degrees Fahrenheit as a high during the week my roof was getting done. They worked in the heat; the didn’t do a half day or anything to avoid damaging the shingles in the afternoon heat.

I called the roofing company and they sent two of the guys who had installed. They spent about 1.5 hrs simply brooming and blowing; I’m not exactly sure what they did but I didn’t hear a nail gun so I doubt they replaced a shingle.

I’m now going to have to call the roofing company again, but before I do I want to understand from you guys – Is this a clear cut case for shingle replacement? What would you do if you were me?

Some of the shingles I seen in your last post were in definite need of replacement :?

When i installed when i owned my company i would run the hose over the layed shingles to keep them cold. just have to watch what you are doing. i used this flat spray thing on the end for watering plants.

You will have to call your contractor and have him replace them, here is the problem the codes on the shingles could be different and it will stick out like a thumb on those shingles. Call the supply house and ask for the certainteed reps phone number. have him or her look over the roof and this way you have something to go to the contractor with. They obviously put them on on a hot day without a cushion.

[quote=“gtp1003”]When i installed when i owned my company i would run the hose over the layed shingles to keep them cold. just have to watch what you are doing. i used this flat spray thing on the end for watering plants.

You will have to call your contractor and have him replace them, here is the problem the codes on the shingles could be different and it will stick out like a thumb on those shingles. Call the supply house and ask for the certainteed reps phone number. have him or her look over the roof and this way you have something to go to the contractor with. They obviously put them on on a hot day without a cushion.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, but what do you mean by “the codes on the shingles could be different and it will stick out like a thumb”?

Shouldn’t the roofing company just come out and spot replace all the damaged shingles?

Without pictures, I can’t tell anything. Please post your concerns visually. Otherwise, this is just a he said, she said mess…

In general, 90 degrees is not hot. In summer, the shingles are vulnerable, so I prefer to work in the spring and fall; but homeowners usually want roofs replaced in the summer. We work in 110 degree heat, avoiding the noon - 2 pm time. We have to work very hard to avoid foot scrapes.

However, roof scrapes do take place often. I would have the owner look at the roof and give you his opinion. His crew has already done what they think they should do. I wouldn’t worry about a little edge scraping. Shingles are not perfect after they are installed.

I doubt Presidential TL are going to get THAT damaged by walking on them. They are one of, if not THE toughest and thickest shingles on the market.

You say the ends seem squished/damaged. Instantly I think of packaging as opposed to installers walking on them. The ends of these bundles are vulnerable to damage in shipping. Seen it many times.

That’s my opinion of your explanation. Post pics and it will help 10 fold.

The shingles have lot numbers (or batch numbers if you will). Each batch of shingles will have the same color, shade. When you replace the existing shingle with another that has a different lot number, you will have a noticable difference in the color (i.e. the color black…it might be a lighter or darker shade of black.)

The early 90’s this was a big problem and I was forced to refused loads because of this problem. They have gotten better now days and doesn’t happen too often.

If you do find the matching lot numbers to do the repair, you will have a definate shade difference…It will have to oxidize (weather) for a few months before it will blend in.

Yes…they can get damaged

If you find damage at the notches where it looks crushed, then it is usually transportaion issue…caused by the numerous straps used to secure loads each time they are transported.

Other damage you will find are streak marks and usually caused by roofer upon installation or by the different trades walking on the roof after conmpletion. On days where the shingle recieves sustainable heat, they get hot and gooie. When a person pushes off to take a step up the roof, the shoe will slide on the top part of the shingle and scar it.

If this was a steep job, you will find a lot of scarring about every five feet. This is where toe boards (planks) might have been used as a platform to shingle off of.

The roofing company owner is coming out next week to take a look. Here are some pics to clarify. I don’t the pics accurately show the situation though. When I see it in person it looks much worse, especially when I look at my neighbor’s roof 10 feet away that is 5 yrs old (also Presidential TL) and his looks brand new whereas mine looks like crap.

Looks like a whole lot of scuffing for a 4/12 - 5/12 roof. People should learn how to walk on a roof if they’re going to be walking on roofs.

Ya, looks like scuff marks to me. They should have used couch cushins or something.

Never laid them and talk most home owner out of them due to the pattern look but with such a high and low spot suspect they are very easy to scuff/damage by foot.

Must have been put on on a sunny day with some good heat?

[quote=“dougger222”]Ya, looks like scuff marks to me. They should have used couch cushins or something.

Never laid them and talk most home owner out of them due to the pattern look but with such a high and low spot suspect they are very easy to scuff/damage by foot.

Must have been put on on a sunny day with some good heat?[/quote]

Yes, it was done on a sunny day with heat.

There are dozens of houses in my neighborhood with the same shingle (Pres TL), and none have this problem.

Roofing company owner is coming out next week. I expect a lot of this job to be re-done. This isn’t what I paid for.

Sorry, but that looks like crap.

Definately all scaring marks made by the shoes of the roofers.

Thats what i meant bonus. and yes thats alot of scrapping from installing. If the codes on the shingle are not right then it will look bad.

Yall call that scuff marks?

"but with such a high and low spot suspect they are very easy to scuff/damage by foot. "

I guess none of you all would survive much in florida.

I dont see anything that would warrant replacing any of those shingles. You would be doing more harm than good.

Maybe my eyesight ain’t as good as y’alls. I don’t see anything that warrants the responses that I have read.

Roof Lover and Outlaw, just a curiosity question, but aren’t the shingles you put on the roof supposed to look EXACTLY like the shingles that you pull out of the wrapper?

I know there isn’t that much scuffing, but you have to remember we can’t see the exact colour WITH the scuff marks. That and the homeowner wasn’t shown a sample with scuff marks.

If you guys find this totally acceptable I would hate to see what you find borderline acceptable.

“I guess none of you all would survive much in florida.”
It got well over 100 here too, no scuffing…

I dont believe that!

[quote=“roof-lover”]

I dont believe that![/quote]

That’s not a requirement for it to be a fact.