Pile them high and wide!

Thoughts?

Loading the roof before tear off?

Approximately 6700 lbs over a 20 foot span.

Took a tear off / re deck when the other “roofer” bailed out. 2 story 12/12, with the shingles loaded. Charged them $500.00 extra to unload the roof.

Me personally, I wouldn’t load like that. That’s like loading my One ton truck on the ridge pole.
We all talk about what would happen. In 2001, I saw a roofing company load a 2 story building, very much like this and it shoved the brick walls out and crashed the roof to the concrete. It was a total loss. The building was destroyed. My question is, why would you take the chance on loading a ridge pole like that.

I don’t load before tear off.

That’s my concern as well. In most cases it’ll be fine but when it’s not, this can kill someone ! In my neck of the woods, the roofs are almost always loaded before the tear and in an increasing number of cases, several weeks ahead. I’ll post some other ones tomorrow that’ll make you shake your head.

Agree with you Dark, we never load until roof is dried in and staged with boards. Almost as big of a concern for me is seeing the dreaded lowball IKO in the picture.

Too high!
That is totally crazy.
They started the bottoms of the stacks wrong too.
Keep the stacks around 7 sq or less and you will be fine.

Our usuall stacks are around 6 sq.

Also its best to at least tear the top 4 feet off on both sides, re-nail the decking if needed, and install underlayment before having the roof loaded.
It saves time and keeps the men from having to use their backs twice to move the material.

Also, when making stacks
You should stack 2-3 bundles on each side
To build a flat platform for the shingles.
The way they did it in the photo ruins the shingles on the bottom.
All roofs over a 5/12 need 2 12d nails under each side of the stack to keep anything from sliding down the roof.

1 Like

Your pic dictates that there is approx 24 bundles in each stack.
There is Way more than 24 bundles(8sq) in each of these stacks.
2 stacks have 11 sq,
1 stack had 11/23
1 stack has 12 sq.

Who ever authorized and continues these stacks are about to learn something soon.
The hard way.
They are messing up big time.
You do that on a hundred year old 2story and it
It will crash the whole building.
This roof loader/laborer needs to be educated quick!

This should have been in 7-8 stacks, not 4.
This is the worst roof material loading job i have ever seen.
Horrible on the material itself
And Even worse on the house.

Since when does 3 x 11 not equal 24?? This new math is ridiculous! Good catch and great comment BTW.

Thankyou,
Iooks like a multi plex.
Looks like 200 feet of ridge they ordered.
The roof loader/laborer was lazy to spread the stacks out.
He didnt want to walk.
I know they are very very heavy to carry
But you cant ever have stacks that large. Period.

The crane knuckle boom delivery trucks are awesome
And can put the stacks every where we need them without the worker having to walk the roof too much.

If you’re in the roofing business and don’t have laddervator you are hurting yourself.

Agreed and I have only seen one crew that uses it religiously around here. His rationale is why pay the supplier to deliver the load when he can do it and save on the base charge and the rooftopping as well. Yes, he is one of the smarter ones. As an example, on a 25 square roof, our combined delivery/loading charge is approx $300.00 plus tax. 10 roofs and you’ve paid for the laddervator and also saved on the labor to shift bundles crane loaded onto existing shingles as shown above. If he does approximately 150 roofs a season, after the equipment is paid, he’ll pocket an extra $45K per year. That covers a nice truck payment and a new dump trailer each year.

1 Like

The option of loading when and what you want on the roof on your schedule makes it worthwhile.

1 Like

A 10 1/3 sq stack.
Unacceptable, that should have been two stacks.
And now i have a pallet that i need to dispose of. ughhh

This morning.

Delivery charge is only 70 dollars for me.
Saves me gas and two hours or more from going to get the shingles and hauling and setting up a laddervader and my mens backs.

If my delivery charge was 300 , i would still do it.

I love spending no time whatsover acquiring the shingles and delivering/setting up/removing the ladder Vader .
Our backs are the most important.
And someone still has to load the Laddervader and unload it.
I dont have time for all that.

That’s awesome. In Southeast Texas, no supplier will roof load anything that isn’t commercial or new construction.

Sounds like there is a demand to be met.
They make us sign waivers against damage to the driveways.
And our contracts waiver against it also.
They and us still spend some money on a driveway every once in a long while.

The suppliers load two roofs worth of material on their trucks.
I always demand “first truck/ second out”
Meaning i want to be the second load on the truck.
Meaning i only want my load of material on my customers driveway.

The supplier also carrys thick sheeting to lay down over a tricky area where they think they might snap some concrete or really hurt some soft ground or pavers.

Interesting to see roofs loaded before t/o. We t/o and schedule a roof top delivery (via conveyer) through our roofing supply yard. We just paper the ridge and the loaders handle loading whatever it may be, metal, comp or concrete, flat materials. I don’t recall what we pay for loading but i am pretty sure its $75-$150 for local jobs.

If they loaded my job like the top pic, i would be calling the loaders to go fix that. That would not happen here by any of the major roofing yards that provide the loading service.

The one thing the loaders do not cover is tire marks on the driveway. We do end up having to power wash a few driveways each year but that is pretty simple. Then while it is out of storage i usually go home and hit my driveway also:) Our loaders have been very good, if the break something they pay for it, but it is rare for them to break anything… they do it multiple times a day m-sat, the crews are very good very rare to have a problem.

1 Like