Pipe Boot Flashing Detail

My roof was replaced and I am concerned about how the pipe vent flashing is finished. I was expecting that only the bottom of the flashing would be exposed on top of the course of shingles with the next shingle rows covering the flashing.

Is what is done acceptable?

No, not acceptable.

And have them use the galvanized steel base
Flashing when they redo it.
Its about the same price.

1 Like

Thank you… is the correct installation with the flashing only above the bottom row?

One more row of a shingles needs to cover the pipe.
Two would be even better but trickier.

2 Likes

As roof lover stated,that is not acceptable
Those plastic boots are fine, at least where I live they seem to hold up better than the steel based ones.
That is a pretty sad excuse for workmanship to be honest.

2 Likes

I agree patchup.
Imagine the workmanship on the entire roof.
If he messed up this detail so badly…
It is like the first obstacle a roofer learns to do in his first Few days of installing…

1 Like

And you’re correct with other workmanship roof lover. Look two courses up towards the rake; way overexposed course.

Tell them that the boot goes on when you have to cut a hole in the shingle to ease the pipe through it. Too easy to ever forget. Oatey used to be good, but the gaskets only last 5 years or so now. 99% of kitchen or bathroom leaks are split gaskets, keep one of each behind the seat when running repairs. I always sealed the underside of the boot and the overlay shingles. “No-Caulk” refers to the gasket, old steel ones had a recess to catch sealant. FWIW

only lead is ok for full shignle duration,i mean rubber is good for 10-15 years ,it might hold up well even afterwards.but why cut corner for 20 bucks difference

We dont use lead unless i can see no trees growing up besides the house.
Otherwise the squirrels destroy them in quick order around here.

I used lead exclusively For about 17 years and bad talked Other roofers who
Didnt Do it.
Until i failed my final inspection on a roof replacement.
The squirrels had destroyed every lead plumbing flashing in the roof.
I fixed it and they did it again when i reset the inspection again.
That was it, i dont install lead unless the customer insist and i inform them of the potential problem or there Are no trees overhanging the roof Or close to it in the future.

1 Like

Is the way mine is installed a cosmetic concern or a leak risk concern? Or do the nail heads just need to be covered?

I did see that it is not installed according to the residential asphalt roofing manual but either would be having two more rows of shingles

As mentioned prior it is incorrect. It looks like an HVAC guy installed it after the fact.

oh i see,im newb compared to you then.i didnt even break 10 years in industry,lol.So rubber is better choice then.you always 1 call away to get it fixed if ever fail.

Blowing rain will run in there sideways.

1 Like

For the last few yrs I have been putting a repair collar on all boots so that there is 2 layers of rubber.

2 Likes

Absolute best way to do it.
The sun never has a chance to rot the rubber underneath.

ok ,new trick in my sleeve.ty

I had a callback where all 4 boots on the roof I installed turned to a gummy mess after about 2 years. IPS I think. Hopefully just a bad batch. I may have to start doing this too.

I would vote 1 more over, not 2. With 2 more over, the runoff on the bottom and sides of the flashing will put water on the upper part of the shingle, nails, seams, etc… Unless there is something extra that you do in the “trickier” part that I am missing.

The tricky part is that i would still leave that shingle under the flange.
And i would still Install 2 more shingles on top.