Please - Give some Suggestions ,as the Roofer is a Good Guy

Hi, All I did a Roof last Yr. with Timberline
Prestique - Lifetime - having some Issues .

First; the Roofer - Only Wished to 100% Ice Shield the Entire 12/12 House. ( 32 Sq.)

Second; His Nail Gun Pressures - I Know went threw in a few places ( 40 ) .

Anyway the Real Issue I’m having is around the Chimney - I had $500.00 in Copper and the Chimney Rebuilt - only 8 yrs Prior - and All was Very Good
He even Inspected Himself and Agreed .(In Attic)

Leaking: He came back , but just wants to Caulk !
He seemed to Step Flash It - OK - but Getting slow Seepage into plywood around Chimney - He Never used any Tar or anything under or around Flashing .

This also could be a 2 phase Issue , as the amount of Water Getting under the Roofing Shingles seems to be High. read ( Weird ) !

So,If High Flow - Fast Running Rain gets under the shingles - It Runs along the Top of the Next Shingle Row - until it finds a Spot where It can Flow Down Hill - Between the Shingles Stick Downs .
During this Running It heads toward the Chimney - Hence Under the Flashing . In this Area Between
Top Shingles Copper Flashing & Lower Layer Frost Shield ( > ).
:roll:

Sounds like he may not have ran his ice and water up the chimney a few inches, if any. but this is just speculation, of course. If he thinks he needs to caulk it, then the new flashing may not be sealed correctly where it goes into the brick. Could we get any pics?

I Think Your Right , as He was in a Hurry toward the end , His Son was getting Married & the Weather
had Pounded Us . 5 Hrs. Later I showed Him the Sky-Light ( Manufactures ) Recommendations for Just
that ! I could see Him - Cringe when He Saw the instructions about Running It Up the Side .

What I wasn’t ready for was How Water Runs under these Composite Shingles - It’s Amazing more Roofs Don’t Leak !

I don’t remember any very much at All Running under the - T-Locks .

:o

[quote=“HelperWon”]I Think Your Right , as He was in a Hurry toward the end , His Son was getting Married & the Weather
had Pounded Us . 5 Hrs. Later I showed Him the Sky-Light ( Manufactures ) Recommendations for Just
that ! I could see Him - Cringe when He Saw the instructions about Running It Up the Side .

What I wasn’t ready for was How Water Runs under these Composite Shingles - It’s Amazing more Roofs Don’t Leak !

I don’t remember any very much at All Running under the - T-Locks .:o[/quote]

Composite shingles don’t leak if they are applied correctly.
Your roofer obviously did something wrong.

A properly flashed chimney doesn’t need Ice & water shield wrapped up the sides not to leak either.
It is a good practice though and I encourage it.

Unless the water is coming through the mortar, bricks, or chimney cap your roofer did something wrong.
It’s not the fault of the shingle style.

He’s going to fix it though so all is good.

Thanks , Well some say that the under layment is really the roof and the Shingles are just there to Protect It !

I see and We Tested the Shingles It allows a lot of Water to Run - Under It ? - Firm Rain to Hard !

So If the Shingle Line is Tilted a little 1/8 " - It runs toward Chimney instead of away From ?

Spray Water on Roof with Garden Hose - Leaked .

I don’t Remeber this much Water getting Under - T_Locks ? So What’s Up with Water Running Under Shingles - I think that along is BS - by these Shingle Manufactures !

[quote=“HelperWon”]Thanks , Well some say that the under layment is really the roof and the Shingles are just there to Protect It !

I see and We Tested the Shingles It allows a lot of Water to Run - Under It ? - Firm Rain to Hard !

So If the Shingle Line is Tilted a little 1/8 " - It runs toward Chimney instead of away From ?

Spray Water on Roof with Garden Hose - Leaked .

I don’t Remeber this much Water getting Under - T_Locks ? So What’s Up with Water Running Under Shingles - I think that along is BS - by these Shingle Manufactures ![/quote]

I don’t think most of the roofers here have a problem with water getting under their shingles.

If that happens, we as professional roofers call such an occurrence a “leak”.

A “leak” is generally an indication that something was not done correctly during the installation of said roofing.
On a newer roof it is almost never the fault of the material used, but rather the way it was applied.

Have you thought that maybe your roofer is a freaking idiot?
I know that may sound like a far fetched idea but it could be possible.

[quote="-Axiom-"]
I don’t think most of the roofers here have a problem with water getting under their shingles.

If that happens, we as professional roofers call such an occurrence a “leak”.

A “leak” is generally an indication that something was not done correctly during the installation of said roofing.
On a newer roof it is almost never the fault of the material used, but rather the way it was applied.

Have you thought that maybe your roofer is a freaking idiot?
I know that may sound like a far fetched idea but it could be possible.[/quote]

Thinking the same thing. Full ice and water on a 12/12 and it still leaked? Has your house had a history of leaking or did this just start with the new roof application. Being a nice guy doesn’t mean he can roof. I’ve had nice guys that were dumb as rocks. Hard to fire nice guys though.

BTW I’m sure you could find many 12/12 roofs with no underlayment that never leak.

I don’t think the roofer knows how to roof. Sorry.

Weird

HelperWon"]Thanks , Well some say that the under layment is really the roof and the Shingles are just there to Protect It !

Who says this?
Can we have some pictures please? Sounds like you have flashing issues and/or butt joints stacked on each other.

1. You Might Be Correct, He Might have had a Bad Day or He just Messed Up.

2. I’m Writing to get to the Bottom of What’s Going on with the Roof . As Stated Earlier the Chimney was All Done 8 Yrs ago and Brand New Solid - NO LEAKS! He & I Inspected Prior to Job-After Down P.

3. I do Believe He didn’t Tar Enough & may have only Run Ice/water Up on High Side of Chimney . Read: Not on Sides = Idiot or Bad Day .

4. Everything I noticed is that Flooding the Roof with Water under pressure Like a Good heavy Down Pour a Lot of H20 is getting Between the Shingles and Ice/Water.

I See: ( No Butt Seams Lining Up ) - that’s Why I Mentioned 1/8 Tilt in Horizontal Line .

Besides Possible Butt Seam Leak Areas ?
Would You Say 1/4" Per Yd. Horizontal Tilt Run Water In instead of Out ? - ( Read: Cause ? )

Next is a Description of Roof:
26 Courses: Up
12/12 Hipped Valleys with Peaks everything on One
Side at All Butts - Read: ( Drip In )so By the Time
the Water gets to Bottom It’s Volume - during a 4-5
Hr. Down Pour, will Add-Up!( Read: Second Cause ? )

2 Causes ?

Also , from what I gather from - Input - that Water Never Gets Between Shingles and Under Layment ?

Period ?

How Does One Up Load Pictures and to Profile.
I’ve Tried all Pic. Sizes etc. and Profile Area Keeps Saying No Area to Write To :

As Full ?

When you squirt the roof from the ground you will get water under the shingles. They are made to shed water. If your hose is on full pressure and your squirting under shingles think of the rain equivalency to what your doing. How long does it take the hose to fill a 5 gallon bucket compared to rain? If you have the hose at the peak and it’s running down that shouldn’t cause a problem.

Are you trying to add pics to your profile or to your post. To add them to your post click the IMG above the text box. Must be downsized in MS Paint first or just use a link from a free photobucket account. If your adding to your profile they need to be very small. I can hardly read mine and I know what it says.

I didnt’ read all of the replies, so please forgive me if I am repeating old news…

Your roofer sucks.

Many asphalt composition roofs I have torn off have not had ANY underlayment, and never leaked, but this was when roofers could roof. Roofers nowadays don’t know jack and rely on remedial cures for their projects, like Ice barriers.

Your roofer sucked and he should fix everythiing, or more likely hire someone that can do it right for him.

have too agree with everybody else. roofer is no roofer. maybe it’s time to call in another roofer. check your better business bureau for a real roofer or check with friends and nieghbors, co workers.

How would they Know??its not like they check the jobs…LOL :roll:

Thanks for the very informative Info ?

Suck - just doesn’t seem to Point How Water Gets under Shingles ! :stuck_out_tongue:

I Sprayed Water Perpendicular to Roof & at the same Angle Rain would come Down @ Butt Joints - Dripped In in - 1 Min. . . . Traveling - 6-7 ft. down .

Hard Down Pours these Architectural Shingle Allow Water Onto the Next Edge that No way is Fully Sealed !
Furthermore It just Runs - till It Hits the Next Butt Seam and Drops Down , Drops Down, Drops Down , Each Time Water Building as the Tally On the Butt Seams Increases , After 3-4 Hrs of Heavy Rain I’d think 2 gallons of water can find It’s way Between
Shingles and Under Layment.

Read:( It’s Got to Go Somewhere ! )

Area basically 3.5 Sq. - 25 X 25 X 25
So I’m Guessing 40 Seams , that 120 Drips @ a Sec.
60 Seconds X 4hrs = . 28,800 Drips , so Approx 2 gal.

Heavy Rains Seem to be Lasting 8-10 hrs. sometimes
for Two Days . Plus can be - Wind Driven .

I Hope All Roofers - Consider - every Little Issue !
:idea:

im dieing to see pics…the suspense is kiiling me :shock:

[quote=“HelperWon”]Thanks for the very informative Info ?

Suck - just doesn’t seem to Point How Water Gets under Shingles ! :stuck_out_tongue:

I Sprayed Water Perpendicular to Roof & at the same Angle Rain would come Down @ Butt Joints - Dripped In in - 1 Min. . . . Traveling - 6-7 ft. down .

Hard Down Pours these Architectural Shingle Allow Water Onto the Next Edge that No way is Fully Sealed !
Furthermore It just Runs - till It Hits the Next Butt Seam and Drops Down , Drops Down, Drops Down , Each Time Water Building as the Tally On the Butt Seams Increases , After 3-4 Hrs of Heavy Rain I’d think 2 gallons of water can find It’s way Between
Shingles and Under Layment.

Read:( It’s Got to Go Somewhere ! )

Area basically 3.5 Sq. - 25 X 25 X 25
So I’m Guessing 40 Seams , that 120 Drips @ a Sec.
60 Seconds X 4hrs = . 28,800 Drips , so Approx 2 gal.

Heavy Rains Seem to be Lasting 8-10 hrs. sometimes
for Two Days . Plus can be - Wind Driven .

I Hope All Roofers - Consider - every Little Issue !
:idea:[/quote]

Pictures would be extremely helpful.
You did this yourself didn’t you?

So are you saying that your roofer put butt joints on top of butt joints?