Preferred Service Providers (Everyone Should Read!)

Well they have finally pushed me over the edge. A team of Allstate’s finest matter of factly told myself and my homeowner (in more words or less) that their policy language is irrelevent because their company has made a business decision on how to handle “claims like this.” Being Allstate, I felt for the adjusters a bit because even the manager who was present said he wishes he could pay the claim in full. The problem is that Allstate makes these “corporate decisions” to forbid good faith practices, and then throws their adjusters out on the front lines as cannon fodder. To my knowledge, they are the only P&C Company that denies adjusters the capacity to act in favor of the policy when in doubt.

Anyways, all that said. How is it that we allow these P&C Companies to solicit their list of “preferred service providers” without fighting fire with fire in a sense? What if the Independent Contractors of America banded together in a sense and drafted a “preferred service providers” list of our own - complete with the naughty list? Then, posted that list of perferred insurers to our websites - providing an unofficial endorsement of the P&C companies who make good on their obligations to their insured. If anything, it might just stir the pot a bit. Personally, being the Good Samaritan that I am, I’d be ecstatic if I could cost Allstate even one of their lamb to the slaughter policyholders.

Tell your homeowner to have them put that in writing.

[quote=“ReroofGA”]Well they have finally pushed me over the edge. A team of Allstate’s finest matter of factly told myself and my homeowner (in more words or less) that their policy language is irrelevent because their company has made a business decision on how to handle “claims like this.” Being Allstate, I felt for the adjusters a bit because even the manager who was present said he wishes he could pay the claim in full. The problem is that Allstate makes these “corporate decisions” to forbid good faith practices, and then throws their adjusters out on the front lines as cannon fodder. To my knowledge, they are the only P&C Company that denies adjusters the capacity to act in favor of the policy when in doubt.

Anyways, all that said. **How is it that we allow these P&C Companies to solicit their list of “preferred service providers” without fighting fire with fire in a sense? **What if the Independent Contractors of America banded together in a sense and drafted a “preferred service providers” list of our own - complete with the naughty list? Then, posted that list of perferred insurers to our websites - providing an unofficial endorsement of the P&C companies who make good on their obligations to their insured. If anything, it might just stir the pot a bit. Personally, being the Good Samaritan that I am, I’d be ecstatic if I could cost Allstate even one of their lamb to the slaughter policyholders.[/quote]

“WE” don’t. Did you ask your HO to simply tell the Adjuster they have chosen their contractor and it is you? Did you ask your HO if Allstate was guaranteeing and offering a warranty on the work if they went with their preferred contractor (and if so, would they please put that in writing)? Banding together, unfortunately, is a pipe dream and I’m sure you know that.

We’ve had many difficult encounters with Allstate thus far this year. Don’t be confused, we haven’t succeeded 100% complete on any of them. However, we haven’t failed on any of them. We’ve managed to make all of them acceptably profitable after working through the HO and the Supplement process. Without the HO’s support, we would have never gotten to where we needed to be and would have walked away from a number of them. Proactively setting the HO’s expectations early on has also opened the HO’s eyes to the claims settlement practices employed by Allstate where they aren’t listening to the Allstate crap about us being greedy, gougers, etc…

Talked to an adjuster that worked one of my roofs I supplemented and he was telling me of all the BS he has to put up with nowadays.His IA firm just pisses down his neck and questions his scopes.Oh well,we are the fir breathing dragons and the adjusters can switch sides if they ever wake up.I am a licensed adjuster too but chose to work proactively for the Homeowner.

I too have spoken to a couple Allstate adjustors this year, but as I was just saying to my brother, we have seen only a few Allstate claims this year as opposed to the many we have seen in recent years. I would love to be able to attribute it to the average homeowner “wising-up,” but the likelihood is Allstate is using their “preferred” list to chase off any competition and the increase of claims that they are denying year after year.

I was on one homeowner’s house this year with an Allstate adjustor that told me a few hings off record. He said that Allstate has really ramped up their internal auditing system and that it’s much more likely for a supervisor to come behind him on claims and “ding” his record for paying on a claim that is not what they want to cover. He actually pointed to hail marks on a roof and said “I’d call that hail last year; this year I’m not calling it hail.”

The idea of a preferred list is appealing, though I agree with AD that it’s pretty much a pipe dream. That said, there’s a lot of HO who trust me and my opinion and there’s nothing wrong with letting them know which companies to stay away from and which companies actually take care of their policyholders.

I have had 20-30 this year alone that the adjusters from various insurers (Liberty,AmFam,State Farm and Allstate) said they wanted to cover that had legitimate damage and questioned their call worried about being busted by big brother by covering too many claims.

They were worried that the STUPID-visor would come in behind and pull the claim.Several years ago once I caught on to this trick was asked by an adjuster how quickly I could get this job started and finished.I told him the job was a contingency,he said that’s even better.

He turned the claim in and the job was started and completed in 2 days from the time it was submitted.Crooked ? I don’t think so,what they are doing is criminal IMHO.

So now when the topic of STUPID-visors comes up I throw the “I could always get this claim completed very quickly” in to play,And it has worked about 90% of the time.

All adjusters are not douche bags and they do have feelings about right and wrong.

80 out of 100 adjusters are good people regardless who they are working for that day.

Have had half a dozen this year that the Adjustor asked me how quick I could get it done… They do want to help… often

Most adjusters want to help the insured because without them and their premium dollars (and subsequent claims), we are out of work. Most also have strong beliefs and spent years in construction. We love a claim wrapped up in 2days because it’s closed and off the books before anybody cares.

Most of the contractor’s you speak of joining with are the one’s on the preferred list… Whether they admit it or not is a different story. Contractors bit** to me all of the time about every thing we do, but none of them tell me to stop when I send them 20-80sq. A week on a silver platter… Plus ladder assists @ $60-$100 a pop and all the temp repairs and debris cleanup they want.

[quote=“ProAdjuster”]Most adjusters want to help the insured because without them and their premium dollars (and subsequent claims), we are out of work. Most also have strong beliefs and spent years in construction. We love a claim wrapped up in 2days because it’s closed and off the books before anybody cares.

Most of the contractor’s you speak of joining with are the one’s on the preferred list… Whether they admit it or not is a different story. Contractors bit** to me all of the time about every thing we do, but none of them tell me to stop when I send them 20-80sq. A week on a silver platter… Plus ladder assists @ $60-$100 a pop and all the temp repairs and debris cleanup they want.[/quote]

I call bull$hit on that one. Very few Adjusters have much construction experience, particularly roofing. I know by asking them questions and listening to their answers, their stupid replies betray their ignorance. How can any Adjuster with roofing experience keep a straight face when they try to argue that 10% waste is adequate for all gable roofs and 15% is adequate for all hip roofs? Or do you all justify telling these lies in order to keep your job?

I’m sure you all do like a claim wrapped up in two days, that’s usually when the HO is unfortunate enough to have gotten stuck with some low ball, no insurance, no warranty, cuts corners Contractor who was stupid enough to do the work for the pitiful scope of loss written by the Adjuster.

I’ve had adjusters practically apologize to homeowners for not paying the claim. The whole waste factor thing is driving me up a wall. 8%? 10%…No roof crew is the same I agree, however, no roof is the same either. Cut up gable roofs take more than 10%. Roofs with closed valleys use more shingles. Now with all of the shingle warranties being written in such a way that you have to use their starter and ridge cap shingle…that waste factor is a joke. I did have a State Farm adjuster eat crow the other day. EagleView will do a line item estimate for you based on national average. The adjuster told the HO that they’d honor EagleView. Oops! Thank you so much for the $404 per sq roof. :slight_smile: Works for me!
As for insurance companies…we openly bash the ones that screw their clients and then let the client know which ones usually act in good faith.
Nationwide is NOT on your side.
You’re NOT in good hands with Allstate
State Fart is the largest for a reason…they’re greedy, sniveling $#(*ards.

Lot of venom on this thread I see…

It seems to me (and again, new around here so if I’m wrong, feel free to stop reading and ignore) that the problem lies in the fact that the insurance companies can count on the fact that they have such a large setup going that each claim is likely to just get deferred and pushed around repeatedly until someone caves and just accepts their payout.

I know I’ve tried using the commissioners bulletins (here in Texas) and some current class action case decisions on my estimates, but it seems to just piss off the desk supervisor. Not sure how to work through this, but I definitely can see how having 100 people handling a claim can dilute the resolution with or without the homeowner being involved, and with so much bad press about contractors these days, it’s hard to always convince someone that their insurance is, at the very least, inadequate.

Thoughts?

[quote=“TotalHomesJon”]Lot of venom on this thread I see…

It seems to me (and again, new around here so if I’m wrong, feel free to stop reading and ignore) that the problem lies in the fact that the insurance companies can count on the fact that they have such a large setup going that each claim is likely to just get deferred and pushed around repeatedly until someone caves and just accepts their payout.

I know I’ve tried using the commissioners bulletins (here in Texas) and some current class action case decisions on my estimates, but it seems to just piss off the desk supervisor. Not sure how to work through this, but I definitely can see how having 100 people handling a claim can dilute the resolution with or without the homeowner being involved, and with so much bad press about contractors these days, it’s hard to always convince someone that their insurance is, at the very least, inadequate.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Not venom, so much as just stating the facts.

“it’s hard to always convince someone that their insurance is, at the very least, inadequate.”

Are you speaking of HO’s? If so, consider this: www.burcos.com/adjustthis.htm

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]

I have had 20-30 this year alone that the adjusters from various insurers (Liberty,AmFam,State Farm and Allstate) said they wanted to cover that had legitimate damage and questioned their call worried about being busted by big brother by covering too many claims.

They were worried that the STUPID-visor would come in behind and pull the claim.Several years ago once I caught on to this trick was asked by an adjuster how quickly I could get this job started and finished.I told him the job was a contingency,he said that’s even better.

He turned the claim in and the job was started and completed in 2 days from the time it was submitted.Crooked ? I don’t think so,what they are doing is criminal IMHO.

So now when the topic of STUPID-visors comes up I throw the “I could always get this claim completed very quickly” in to play,And it has worked about 90% of the time.

All adjusters are not douche bags and they do have feelings about right and wrong.

80 out of 100 adjusters are good people regardless who they are working for that day.[/quote]

Jim, I have a different slant on this one. I’ve seen Allstate Adjusters repeatedly try this “how quick can you get it done” deal. They subsequently turn in a different, low ball scope of loss than the one you “agreed upon” when the two of you agreed to get it done in a couple of days. Roof already built, good luck with Allstate on that supplement.

We operate a little differently when this comes out now. When asked if we can get it done in two days, the response is "we can get it done in two days (or so) if you write a scope of loss for the HO before you leave that is in line with our estimate. When I was personally involved with this situation, I told the Adjuster if the roof didn’t warrant replacement, he shouldn’t approve it. He thought I was nuts. I told him if his professional and personal integrity says the roof should be approved for replacement, how could he do anything other than that? If it didn’t, he shouldn’t approve it. I told him we don’t participate in under handed deals and that I couldn’t commit to a schedule for building the roof until I saw a documented scope of loss that was in line with our estimate. He ended up approving the roof and paying reasonably well, got a good bit of the rest by supplementing with the desk adjuster.

I despise these Adjusters who act like they’re your buddy and they’re doing you a favor when in fact, they’re scheming scumbags looking for ways to stab you in the back.

Great posts! Drilling down to the details of the insurance fraud is helpful. If ones would also give more specifics about their locations, then the (deceptive) market patterns can be established from that angle.

LMB- that was extremely helpful! By chance do you know where it came from so I can ask for permission to link it on our website?

I wrote it and it is a variation of the “official” site that 3RS certified contractors (my customers) can use, when needed, to enlightened insured’s as to the realities of dealing with the ins claims repair process. That site is at www.burcos.com/recover.htm. HO’s can view the site when sent their by a 3RS certified contractor and peruse through the information then request confirmation that the contractor they are talking with is or is not a “certified” 3RSystems contractor.

Great idea. The problem is that although everyone can empathize to an extent, it will be hard to motivate anyone who hasn’t seen it firsthand.