Price / SQ - Steep Roof vs. walker

Hey guys.

I know this is more than common question here. This time it’s a bit different.

I need to know your up-charge or premium that you add to a steep roof.

Lets say all other factors are equal:

Its a gable roof with 1 chimney, one stink pipe. 20 sq. Tear-off 1 layer, I&W, 30# felt. 30 yr. GAF (or your favorite brand) shingles.

Roof A is 3 Pitch.

Roof B is 6 Pitch.

Roof C is 9 Pitch.

Roof D is 12 Pitch.

What would be your base price for a 3 pitch and add-on for 6, 9 and 12 pitch.

Please let me know - I need this for statistical data. Please also indicate your state, and how is the roofing business in your area.

Thanks in advance - Leo

So no one wants to share this info? Or is it just the case of " there is a hundred of these posts already "?

Guys, I understand that this question pops up every week. Like I said. Need info on what u add to you base price per sq for steep roofs. Please answer

Thanks

4.00 to 7.00 per square foot. depending on the specs and degree of difficulty.

Per square foot??!? That means price per square will go up 400 bucks to 700 bucks on a steep? Or did you mean per square? Which doesn’t seem like enough to me.

3-6 is all the same for me.

7-9 is $30 per sq more than 6 and under

10-12 is $60 per sq more than 6 and under

We would upcharge up to $50.00 per squares for anything non walkable. Say an 8 0r 9 pitch we would add another $25 per square.
Were from North Jersey and the roofing business has takena nose dive to say the least. It is the winter and we did just get hit with another storm but things better pick up in a hurry next month or well be out of business.
Hows it for you?
Dave

Agape, Skytech - thanks for details.

I have a follow-up question for you guys - what percentage of your base walkable roof is that up-charge?

In other words what is roughly your base per sq? does that include cobra ridge-vent?

Agape - I remember in a recent similar thread you said something like $250 per sq. Is that a residential ~ 20 sq. roof or a large condo?

Skytech - to clarify: you add $50 to anything over 6, and another $25 to 9+ pitch?

Again - what percentage is your up-charge compared to the base price?

Jim - I’m think I understand that your prices range from $400-700/sq. Could you explain in details how you add for steep roofs. Especially that we are in the same region…

Also, Jim - what do you charge for 1 / 2 layers of tear-off. Do you also up-charge for tear-off on a steep roof?

Shangle nailer - what about you? When you say $400-700 does not seem like enough to you - please elaborate.

I do want to know what roofers in different states charge.

Thanks for all replies so far :wink:

Any one else?

I base on a 7:12 and under for 30 year GAF right now at about $220-230, then charge for everything else. pipes, vents, drip edge, flashings, I&W if needed, chimney flashings, skylights, etc etc.

dont care if its a 30sq house, or a 80sq office building. but of course, in order to beat out lowballers, sometimes on the larger projects, i lower my base.

as far as cobra, i dont use it, and i think its junk. i only use snow country ridge from GAF, or Evolution from Atlas. no, the base doesnt include that. i charge $7-10 per foot installed.

[quote]I base on a 7:12 and under for 30 year GAF right now at about $220-230, then charge for everything else. pipes, vents, drip edge, flashings, I&W if needed, chimney flashings, skylights, etc etc.
[/quote]

Can you go in more details on prices for these items please.

What about tear-off - 1 / 2 layers pricing? Or is tear off included in that $220-230? if it is included, you still have to charge more for 2nd / 3rd layer.

I always thought these were included in the square price… I mean you have to calculate this stuff every time you measure a roof.

But i guess everyone has their own way.

LA-what exactly are you using this information for?

This info is for the online roof calculator tool. it calculates roofing prices for different roofing materials, but since most people are interested in shingles, which we do not install, I want to know what you guys charge.

I want this roofing calculator to be more or less universal from state to state, yet pretty accurate.
That’s why I want pricing info from different states.

I’m still fine-tuning the algorithm, and it is work in progress.

I will be adding premium for steeper roofs soon, but also want it to be more in touch with reality of roofing world :mrgreen:

BTW, let me know what you think and what I can improve / add to this roofing calculator.

Cool. My base price is pretty much 225/square. I’m pretty much with agape on the markups for slope. I will also mark up about 25 bucks a square for a 2 story.
I lose a lot of jobs because of prices to replace flashing. We have a lot of old masonite siding around here and getting new flashing in can be a bear, if not sometimes downright impossible without ruining the siding. But a lot of folks don’t want to hear any of that. I will usually charge about 4-5 bucks a foot to replace steps where I have to fight the siding. 200-250 bucks to re-flash a reasonably sized chimney, copper is more.

All this being said I have done 1 story walkables for 200 a square (arcs) or 180 (3tabs) and still found them profitable. Only if the roof is wide open and no flashing other than boots or vents.

I price per square foot . I will not do any strip and reroof for under 4. I dont care if its a ranch or not. some can be 10. per sq foot or more if in the metro west suberbs. A lot of roofs there are 40 foot ladders and cut up victorians.south shore , cape cod and islands love cedar roofs. A roof is a roof, got to do it all or your not a real roofer.

[quote=“LAMetalRoofs”]

Can you go in more details on prices for these items please.

What about tear-off - 1 / 2 layers pricing? Or is tear off included in that $220-230? if it is included, you still have to charge more for 2nd / 3rd layer.

I always thought these were included in the square price… I mean you have to calculate this stuff every time you measure a roof.

But i guess everyone has their own way.[/quote]

that includes tear off 1 layer.

i charge another $30ish per sq per additional layer, and $40 to remove shake.

$25 for 2 story, and $75 for 3 story

That is cool that 4 is your minimum. I am not saying you charge too much. You charge what you need to charge and if your getting it, thats awesome. You have a long standing business and an excellent reputation. If I priced a 1 story suburban ranch at 400/square here, I would have 0 chance of getting it. And I like to roof. So I price competitively and keep my overhead as low as I can.

[quote=“shangle nailer”]

That is cool that 4 is your minimum. I am not saying you charge too much. You charge what you need to charge and if your getting it, thats awesome. You have a long standing business and an excellent reputation. If I priced a 1 story suburban ranch at 400/square here, I would have 0 chance of getting it. And I like to roof. So I price competitively and keep my overhead as low as I can.[/quote]

same here. nobody gets 4 on a single story anything here, unless its lifetime shingles. ive seen people selling 30 years for $150-160 installed.

i dont usually go below $200 unless its a buddy deal, or someone who just needs it bad.

what do you guys pay for shingles ? those prices are ridiculous . what about the cost of running a roofing company ? dont set your price by lowballers.You have to know your costs.

I pay 73 bucks a square for timberlines right now. Best and Home depot are selling them for that. Plus felt and nails and ice shield I figure roughly 100 bucks for materials.
I would like to think I could regularly get 3 to 350, but I know I will lose even more jobs than I do already pricing at that. Perhaps I still haven’t broken into the appropriate customer base yet.

^ same here

30 year shingles are around 100. per sq. and going up.
trash is 90. per ton if I truck it “a bargain” accessories have also all gone way up in price. A journeyman roofer gets 25 to 30 per hour. dont even get me started on insurance costs.