Professional Installation?

Long story short…We have recently moved into our new home(March 2021) that we built with DR Horton. We have had an endless list of issues and are almost caught up to getting them resolved. One of the few items left on that list is roofing. I have looked online quite a bit searching for a situation similar to mine. I haven’t really come to a solid conclusion as I know there are nearly endless options for materials/systems/instalation methods. Upon taking a look to what is accessible on my roof, I noticed that you can clearly see the sheathing exposed at the eaves of the shingles. The sheathing and trusses are also higher than the fascia in some areas leaving a fairly decent opening. It doesn’t appear any type of drip edge was installed. I live in Minnesota where we sometimes spend weeks in the negatives with -60 windchill. Ice is also a very common theme. A few concerns are this looks like it is allowing air to seap into the attic and have definitely noticed temperatures are all over the board around the house. When we have steady winds I have noticed certain rooms are colder. Water damage and ice daming is also another concern. At our first warranty review/punch list, I brought this up to Dr. Horton but was told everything is normal. I have considered hiring an inspector for our 1 year warranty coming up since I am not an exterior expert. I stumbled upon this forum and searched though and found most topics had a good amount of expertise. I figured I would give it a shot and appreciate the feedback from you guys.

There are not endless options. Only manufacturers specs. Contact material manufacturer and determine if the application is warrantable. If the applicator does not follow mfg specs, they accept the liability. “well, that’s how we’ve always done it” is bullshit. Local codes and mfg specs are what rules in a court of law…

I lived in worked in MN for a year back in 2007. It really surprised me but drip edge wasn’t code there and I don’t think I saw it installed on a single house there. While I don’t agree with it, clearly it possible to make a roof trouble free without it. However I would have at least wrapped my ice and watershied down onto the fascia board to cover the gap.

As far as air getting into the gap that’s a likely non issue. If you have vented soffits (new houses almost all do) air is getting in anyway and is designed too. Artists are designed to be colder than living space and promote airflow.

2 Likes

I’ve read here that underlay is optional in Canuckistan also. Can’t vouch for the cold artists though…

In Texas, you will fail inspection without following the IBC residential code on roofing. Chapter 15 deals with drip edge. It has been code since 2012. That doesn’t mean, where you live, they give a crap about it, but it might be something to bring up. Remember, code is the minimum requirements. Sorry to see you didn’t get it.
My 2018 IBC residential code is 1507.2.8.3 dealing with Roofing Assemblies, specifically drip edge. First sentence is Highlighted.
A drip edge, shall be provided at eaves and rake edges of shingle roofs

In Canada, underlay is typically only required when someone is present to witness it being installed. Otherwise, it is discretionary and depends on day of the week and whether the next roof is loaded. If the manufacturer’s instructions specify underlay, simply hide the instructions in the same place as the chalk line and tape measure where they cannot be found. When questioned by the homeowner whether underlay has been installed, complain about wood rot, missing H clips, and the cost of nails.

That is the way us cannuckleheads do it.

Eh?

Ohhh Geez… what works!

Required Eave Protection

1. Except as provided in Sentence (2), eave protection shall be provided on
    shingle, shake or tile roofs, extending from the edge of the roof a minimum of 900 mm
    up the roof slope to a line not less than 300 mm inside the inner face of the exterior wall.
  2. Eave protection is not required
    a) over unheated garages, carports and porches,
    b) where the roof overhang exceeds 900 mm measured along the roof slope
    from the edge of the roof to the inner face of the exterior wall,
    c) on roofs of asphalt shingles installed in accordance with Subsection 9.26.8.,
    d) on roofs with slopes of 1 in 1.5 or greater, or
    e) in regions with 3 500 or fewer degree-days.

Underlay beneath Shingles

Installation

1. When used with shingles, underlay shall be installed parallel to the eaves with
    head and end lap of not less than 50 mm.
  2. The top edge of each strip of underlay referred to in Sentence (1) shall be
    fastened with sufficient roofing nails to hold it in place until the shingles are applied.
  3. The underlay referred to in Sentence (1) shall overlap the eave protection by not
    less than 100 mm. (See Article 9.26.10.2. for underlay beneath wood shakes.)

Dang. I thought y’all smoked a dart after putting away a two four?

1 Like

Thanks for the input fellas!