Qestions About Mighty Strange Noise on Roof

My existing roof is 20 years old and I’m convinced to do a tear-off and replace with GAF Slateline and Timbertex ridge cap shingles. Before I put on a roof, I’d lik to get an idea what could be going on. I’ve owned the house for 13 years and have always heard a very loud snapping kind of sound. Almost like pebbles being whipped down on the roof is the best I can describe it. And the windier it is, the louder and more frequent the snapping sound. What do you think that’s about?

And can anyone comment on my best shot at describing the ventilation. The only things I see in the 33.5 x19.5 attic are north and south gable vents, a small thermostat controlled fan (approx 8’’ diameter) and two small square-like thing-a-majigs!.. (screened roof cuts of approx 6’’ both width and height, covered by metal plates supported by legs sitting on roof)…yeah, I’m a girl!..P.S. There is actually another small area in the attic approx 12x4 and 2.5 tall…I think it marries the end of a downstairs vaulted ceiling and part of an upstairs bedroom flat ceiling

its probably the fan/vent hittin somethin.
the wind picks up , it get faster and louder.

im sure the roofer will find and fix.

gweedo

acorns???

tree limbs?

Maybe the shingles are lifting. Or you have the goat man on yer roof.

That was my guess! :smiley:

Like gweedo said!

I also have a noise when the wind pick ups. After going outside when windy - I noticed I have a vent that opens and shuts. Due to high winds the vents open and close rapidly and I can hear it very loudly in my bathroom!

[quote=“shinglehitter”]Like gweedo said!

I also have a noise when the wind pick ups. After going outside when windy - I noticed I have a vent that opens and shuts. Due to high winds the vents open and close rapidly and I can hear it very loudly in my bathroom![/quote]

Dude, that stinks. :stuck_out_tongue: