Question? Extra charge for Laminated shingles

hello cindyb,
sorry to here your origanol roof didnt work.
was that a demensional shingle that someone couldnt lay rite?
the reason the guys here are sayin that demsionals are easier to lay is
because they have to chalk lines all over the roof to keep them strait, and
they half to back them down sometimes.
i dont have to. three tabs go down alot faster for me. but im not a mortal
human either.

now ill say this. were im at we have alot more trouble out of
demensionals leekin than we do three tabs, mostly because we have alot of low sloped structures to shingle.

so if your roof is easy to stand on, your probably never going to be able to make a demensional work.

sounds like ya got about a 30 sq roof.
ive done em for 7 grand and ive done em for 5 grand.

the guy thats cheaper may know and work for the more exspensive
company. happens all the time.
so yes you could hire the company and get the cheap guy anyway.
that also happens all the time.

if this was the first reroof for you i would say give the little guy/girl a chance, but its not, so i wont recomend it.
use hometown company . if low slope get a three tab, if steep roof get a
demensional.
ask company for a local crew leader to be on site throughout job.

one more thing. i dont roof peoples structures with my money.
and thats exactly what your askin the roofer to do when you dont give him/her any money to start.

good luck

gweedo

Thanks everybody. Ranch-hand your estimate is almost dead on; what I came up with by using few online tools and the guy from the roofing supply store. He gave me the retail price of course. I estimate 30 squares and that is a generous estimate considering that I have about 2600 sq ft under roof including the car port and the supply room.

Gweedo, are you saying that the 30 year laminated shingles will not hold up? You are correct about as this will be my second time, I do not want to take any chances. I will let you guys see the photos of how my neighbor’s guy left shingles atop of the roof in the rain. Then came back two days later and shingled over wet felt with soaking wet shingles. His deposit request is one of many factors that makes me jittery about this guy. But they did some good deck work.

I will upload some photos of my poor little roof very soon. Thanks again.

:mrgreen:
I calls 'em like I sees 'em…
:mrgreen:

im sayin two peace demensional shingles (30 laminated shingles)
do not work well on low slopes, and if you can stand and dance around easily on your roof then it is a low slope, in my opinion.

shingles are left in the rain all the time , and they are layed on wet felt all the time. it just depends on how much it rains in your town as to how often
it happens.
nothin to worry about.
ive never torn a roof off and said " yep they laid theese shingles on wet felt".
never.

gweedo