Question on energy star roofing credit

Hi folks,

I live in hot Texas. I am in the process of replacing my roof as a result of hail damage. It also turns out that I will be installing a 6KW Photovoltaic system on my roof.Hence to save on future hassles, I want to install a durable roof that is also energy efficient.

My question is suppose my roofing costs $15,000, out of which insurance covers around $12000, would the 30% credit be applicable on the balance ($3000), which translates to a credit of $900 or on the whole gross amount - which would enable me to max out the credit so that I get the complete $1500 credit?

Thanks

I don’t see why you would get a break on something somebody else is paying for. Sounds like a question for the IRS.

Hi,

On the roofing it is only on materials.

Lefty/anyone,
(and sorry for butting intot his thread)

…since we’re talking about this, I have a Q:
Is it OK to ask my roofer (whoever I/anyone) will choose to ask for a separate receipt for the materials/shingles?
Are these usually listed separately on any receipt?

For the purpose of tax credit: how does one make t easy for everyone involved (including the gov’t).
Thanks.

Hi 99ways2die,

Not every product is eligible. Most are not. The ones that are eligible cost more.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi 99ways2die,

Not every product is eligible. Most are not. The ones that are eligible cost more.[/quote]

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if a particular type of shingle qualifies for the rebate?
I am looking at getting Certainteed’s Symphony shingle.
certainteed.com/pressroom/pr … spx?id=236

goa,
CertainTeed Corporation • P.O. Box 860 • Valley Forge, PA 19482 • ** 800.233.8990 **
I’d start there; who better to give you the right answer thanthe manufacturer himself?

Lefty,
I know most don’t qualify, but if anyone chooses to do so…how is it all put on paper?

home depot & lowes can give you a print out of which roofing materials that they carry are covered.

Hi,

You need documents from the manufacturer stating the products are eligible.

This is what you need about the purchase cost.
Receipts, if you purchase materials directly, or itemized bills from your contractor, showing the amount spent on qualifying materials.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,
…Receipts, if you purchase materials directly, or itemized bills from your contractor, showing the amount spent on qualifying materials.[/quote]

…t’s what I thought.
Will(should) anyone have a prob if I/anyone ask for an itemized receipt(s).
I know many ppl quote the whole job, but I hope no one will mind such a req (for legitimate reasons too).

Hi,

Tell them up front what you need.