Rafter separation/not connected from ridge beam

Hello,

I came here for some advice from professionals, I am in the process of buying my first home, and just had it inspected, when we checked the attic, we saw the rafters not connected to the ridge beam, my inspector said its not a big deal but should have it checked by a pro (I thought I already hired one to do the inspection…) My agent says its not a big deal and I should just ask 5k reduction in price. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure the ridge beam and rafters are meant to be connected. I will post a pic of the house to show the roof style and pitch, and also pictures inside the small attic left from the room on the 2nd floor
thanks in advance!

We need to see some pics from inside the attic to give you advise.

the pictures are in my album in here, I tried linking to the pictures but it doesn’t seem to want to work

I’m not a carpenter/framer, but EVERY single ridge I can remember seeing had the top chord connected to the ridge beam.

Looks like the shed dormer was an addition, they just raised the existing rafters. Sister new rafters with the proper plumb cut on to them.

[quote=“JMonroy”]Hello,

I came here for some advice from professionals, I am in the process of buying my first home, and just had it inspected, when we checked the attic, we saw the rafters not connected to the ridge beam, my inspector said its not a big deal but should have it checked by a pro (I thought I already hired one to do the inspection…) My agent says its not a big deal and I should just ask 5k reduction in price. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure the ridge beam and rafters are meant to be connected. I will post a pic of the house to show the roof style and pitch, and also pictures inside the small attic left from the room on the 2nd floor
thanks in advance![/quote]

That’s a problem that needs to be fixed, I don’t think 5k is enough.
How many layers are on that roof?

I don’t think the dormer was an later addition, all the houses on the street are identical, the roof was supposedly done 4-6 years ago, the shingles look okay no lifting and or broken shingles.

If the house had been built with that dormer originally, the carpenters would have put the proper plumb cut on the rafters. As it is the angle looks to match the pitch of the steeper front side. The roof on it now was installed after the dormer was constructed. Have seen this a lot, just never without sistering with the proper angle. Simple fix. :slight_smile:

Check the number of layers and the quality of materials used in those layers before you buy it. The supporting materials is important but not so much.