Re posting a question

So I’ve decided to build a garage. I’ve never built one before, but I do have some basic knowledge and skills. I have nailed shingles to friends houses a long time ago, but I’ve never started and finished a brand new roof before. I would like any helpful input you may have, and I greatly appreciate it.

This is my plan of attack, please correct me if I’m wrong…

1- nail chip board to trusses utilizing the little clips they supplied me with (however I don’t know how many to use down the 4’ and 8’ sides of a sheet)
2- Nail galvanized edging around the outside of the entire roof (both sides and up to the peaks)
3- Lay the sticky felt roll they gave me down… starting at the bottom edge of each side and layering it, overlapping about 2" and work towards the top. (don’t know if I use this all the way up or part way then use tar paper…I’m unsure)
4- all around the outer edge of the roof lay a row of shingles (asphalt) upside down and backwards.
5- shingle the roof (as I’ve done before, staggering ends.
6- cut shingles into an almost pyramid shape…getting 3 per shingle to cap the top of the peak.

Does that sound about right? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any/all help offered.

hire someone or goodluck to ya.

SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT …but…RUN YOUR(STICKY FELT) 1 COURSE AT THE BOTTOM AND YOUR (TAR PAPER)THE REST OF THE WAY AND GOOD LUCK AS WELL :smiley:

Thanks…

it really isn’t big enough to hire a roofer…and most are busy around here doing real jobs.

Thanks for the input

**1- nail chip board to trusses utilizing the little clips they supplied me with (however I don’t know how many to use down the 4’ and 8’ sides of a sheet) **

Your plywood clips go on the 8’ length of the sheets, 1 between every truss/rafter.
They don’t go between the sheets (the 4’ length) over the truss’s/rafters.

** 2- Nail galvanized edging around the outside of the entire roof (both sides and up to the peaks) **

Put the metal edging on the eave of the roof before the sticky felt, put the edging on the rakes after the sticky felt and regular felt are applied.

** 3- Lay the sticky felt roll they gave me down… starting at the bottom edge of each side and layering it, overlapping about 2" and work towards the top. (don’t know if I use this all the way up or part way then use tar paper…I’m unsure) **

You only need to do 1 1/2 rows/courses of the sticky felt.
Use 2 rows if you have enough.
The rest of the roof should be regular felt.
Follow the lines on the sticky felt and regular felt for your laps.
The line on the sticky felt is probably 3-4" and the line on the regular felt is usually about 2".

** 4- all around the outer edge of the roof lay a row of shingles (asphalt) upside down and backwards.**

If you are using a drip edge you don’t need to put the shingles up the rake like you are describing.
For your starter course at the eave you should cut off the exposed portion of the shingle.
Follow the instructions on the package for this part.
5- shingle the roof (as I’ve done before, staggering ends.**

Read and follow the instructions on the package.

** 6- cut shingles into an almost pyramid shape…getting 3 per shingle to cap the top of the peak.**

No not like that, if you take too much off the top portion of the shingle the nails from the shingle above it won’t go through the top portion of your cap, because you cut it off.
Follow the package instructions for this also.

**Does that sound about right? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any/all help offered.**

You have the right general idea.
This isn’t rocket science and a normal garage is about as easy as it gets.
The instructions on the package should tell you all you need to know to pull this off.
Make sure your sticky felt and regular felt are secured well so it doesn’t rip out from under you.

If you have any other questions there are helpful people here to answer your questions.
Good luck and work safely.

It would be in your best interest to call a professional, give him a few bucks just to look over your shoulder for an hour or two, if nothing else.

Your roof protects EVERYTHING under it, to cut corners or be unsure is only asking for a problem later.

A $100 bill and a cold 6-pack can get you a long ways! Make the call, you won’t regret it!

well put premium in oregon.

Thanks for the great input and suggestions.

If I could find a roofer willing to sell an hour of his time, I’d go for it. They just seem few and far between around here…

Have you tried?

Do you or anyone else live in southern Ontario (Norfolk County)? If so are you interested in making some quick cash and a couple of beers?