Recent Roof job - Am I seeing problems?

Recently had my roof replaced. I see some issues now that the job is complete and want to make sure I’m not crazy.

See pictures of issues here:

Basically:

1. There is a vent stack cover that the metal is bending up. (Picture 2)

2. There is some flashing that is bent up at the bottom around the chimney. (Picture 6)

3. A clear adhesive was used to install the copper counterflashing around the chimneys and along one side of the house. Is that normal? And does this stuff require maintenance? (Picture 6, but not pictured directly.

4. There are some shingles that have a peak in the middle of them. It will make sense in the pictures. Is that normal? (Picture 1)

5. There is a chunk of shingle hanging down (Picture 3 & Picture 4)

6. I’m seeing some curling in shingles along an overhang. Are the shingles overhanging too far? Can this be fixed?(Picture 5)

7. The shingles along the chimney are jagged and uneven. (Picture 7)

8. There is a grate on a vent that is not installed properly. (Picture 9)

9. The overhang of the shingles is not even at the peaks of the roof. It is 1/2 inch in places and more in other areas. Should that be even? (Picture 8)

I haven’t paid for the job yet and don’t want to do so until I receive some confirmation that I am either seeing things that are normal or not.

If any of you experts would be so kind to take a look at my pictures and render your opinions of what is wrong/right and what must be fixed, it would be greatly appreciated.

most of these problems are from a “sloppy” install,a call to the contractor will fix this i dont see a reason to be alarmed these are ez fix

looks like a shoddy job but to answers your questions in order:

1. the metal around the vent stack is bending up because its not nailed down. it should be nailed down and silicone applied over the exposed nails.
  2. Same thing applies for the flashing around the chimney.
  3. The clear adhesive around the chimney is most likely silicone which is what i use and requires minimal maintenance. the rubber seal around your vent stack flashing will only last 7-10 years depending on where you live before it starts cracking so when you have those replaced its a good idea to have your other flashings inspected as well
  4. the peaks in the shingles could be caused by several different things, has the roof been on for more than a week and have you had good sunny days to allow the roof to settle down? Im betting when your roof stacked the shingles on your roof he stacked them long ways over the ridge which can put a crease in the shingles.
  5. Hard to say from that picture.
  6. The shingle do appear to be overhanging too far but at this point thats not an easy fix.
  7. Your roofer did a horrible job cutting the edges. not hard to fix
  8. obviously
  9. refer back to #7

Did you do any research on this guy before you signed up with him? is this a reputable company?

Yes he was recommended by a couple folks and I went to 6 houses he had previously roofed. No complaints were given.

The roof was put on last Thursday & Friday (8/19 & 8/20).

Thanks so much for your feedback. It and any further comments are greatly appreciated!!

well i would give him a call and let him know about your concerns at least you have a little knowledge about what should be done now so you’ll know if hes trying to genuinely take car of you or not

Where the metal and plumbing boot are sticking up,they should have been nailed down and a dummy shingle put over top, the exhaust vent with the mesh hanging down should have been fixed before install or get new one , the edges that are all over the place is just plain sloppy, I would get contractor back to deal with it all before paying in full.

I would kill my guys if they finished a roof like that. That is just sloppy no attention to detail. The details are what seperates the real roofers from the wanabies. Call and have them fix it

I know why its like that, Because it was finished on a friday! workers where in a rush to get home!

OR A BAR ! :wink:

markwilliams12
When the roofer fixes the chimney flashing. Make sure he uses copper nails or galvanic corrosion will occur.

markwilliams12…You have done a supurb job as a homeowner in protecting you interest. I imagine if you walked the roof, you could find more issues.

Every thing here are easy fixes and I would hold up full payment untill you are satisfied.

-The copper nails on copper flashing is a must

#6 - Standard overhang in my area is 1 1/2 inches…this item is ok.

It also looks like they dutch-lapped shingles on the rake edges,alot of guys do it,I think it stands out like a sore thumb.Very rookie looking job.I would lift a bunch of shingles and see what their nail pattern looks like and how many are crooked or proud.

THAT is very sloppy work. Wow! Some of the items are easy fixes. Others will require some shingle removal and re-install.

Don’t use “silicone” to caulk over nail terminations at PVC pipe boot. Use NP-1.

No galvanized nails into the copper flashing. Use a lead anchor if possible (I don’t see how one could use a copper slating nail and get it to seat correctly with out bending it but I guess if you had a pilot hole into the masonry it could be done).

Sure doesn’t look like the deck is very smooth. How many layers is that, or is it plank decking. I agree with the guys. Out of work office worker decides to be a roofer.

Looks pretty sloppy, I bet it isn’t nailed right.

I’m glad you haven’t paid yet. Copper nails on copper-always. Did you pay for new copper counter flashing on your chimney? It was not done properly-your roofer will know this and should offer to fix this right away before anyone else sees it!!

Yes its a mess. I personally would have the shingle rep come out on this one. The reason i say that is that way he can say yes its nailed right or not.

If not you dont pay nothing! And then find a real contractor. Because this kind of work give all of us a bad name and really i read an article we are number 3 in BBB complaints. Ah well thought it would be a nice tidbit.

[quote=“markwilliams12”]Recently had my roof replaced. I see some issues now that the job is complete and want to make sure I’m not crazy.

See pictures of issues here:

Basically:

1. There is a vent stack cover that the metal is bending up. (Picture 2)

Incorrect finishing by the crew - nails covered with silicone is ok. (easy fix)

1. There is some flashing that is bent up at the bottom around the chimney. (Picture 6)

Incorrect flashing by the crew… As it is copper, it could be bent down and siliconed, but nails are ok, too. - easy fix

1. A clear adhesive was used to install the copper counterflashing around the chimneys and along one side of the house. Is that normal? And does this stuff require maintenance? (Picture 6, but not pictured directly.

Yes that is normal, as long as it doesn’t look awful from the street or something. - no fix required, I hope.

1. There are some shingles that have a peak in the middle of them. It will make sense in the pictures. Is that normal? (Picture 1)

These are called fishmouths. They have a high nail under the shingle… easy fix with a proper tool to not rip up the shingles.

1. There is a chunk of shingle hanging down (Picture 3 & Picture 4)

That is ridiculously sloppy work - easy fix

1. I’m seeing some curling in shingles along an overhang. Are the shingles overhanging too far? Can this be fixed?(Picture 5)

Tough to know… Lift the shingles on the bottom to see. They should be glued to a starter shingle at the bottom of the roof. So, you should find two layers of shingles glued together at the bottom. If not, please let us know. Still, it should be an easy fix if there are two layers there, anyway. It may be fine, too.

1. The shingles along the chimney are jagged and uneven. (Picture 7)

Same as #5

1. There is a grate on a vent that is not installed properly. (Picture 9)

You are right. That may be a reinstall if it was a used vent that is irreparably damaged. Not too tough a fix, but it requires shingles be ripped up and reinstalled. That is never a good thing.

1. The overhang of the shingles is not even at the peaks of the roof. It is 1/2 inch in places and more in other areas. Should that be even? (Picture 8)

One side of the ridge should be perfectly straight witha a chalk line. the other side should be almost straight. If not, that is not that hard of a fix.

I haven’t paid for the job yet and don’t want to do so until I receive some confirmation that I am either seeing things that are normal or not.

Good idea, but try to not get carried away, please. Once the issues are resolved, please pay him immediately.

If any of you experts would be so kind to take a look at my pictures and render your opinions of what is wrong/right and what must be fixed, it would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

These are great pictures. I would get up on the roof if possible (but do not drag your feet over new shingles). If you are in my town, I will happily do it for you for free. Look your roof over carefully for exposed nails, crooked lines on the shingles or any other thing you suspect may be incorrect. Then post those pictures. It should be all fixed with one visit from the roofer.