Registered Roof Consultant ("RRC") Designation?

How much credibility does this designation have in the industry?

Is it reasonable to assume that if a consultant has this designation, they are well qualified?

Thanks in advance.

Up here in BC its usally a roofer who has been around for awhile…didnt know you could get a ticket for it :roll:

For commercial I think it would carry some weight, but not much for residential.

Ed

I’m not familiar with this.

Who issues it? Who maintains that you are kept up to date on emerging standards & technologies?

If there’s no licensure & permitting required (such as we have here in Texas), then this might be a benefit, however I still need info on the first few questions to determine whether or not it’s got a decent standard behind it.

It sort of sounds like something Home Depot would come up with after an employee reads a ‘How To’ manual.

It is one of the certifications from the Roof Consultants Institute. RCI.

Ed

See, Learn something new everyday.

and these guys can be real ballbusters on jobs too!

we were members of RCI several years back but saw no real reason to keep renewing the dues. The certification like many others is basicly just bs. problem is a lot of the world buys into bs.

[quote=“john960bell”]How much credibility does this designation have in the industry?

Is it reasonable to assume that if a consultant has this designation, they are well qualified?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Most of them are book learned roofing consultants. Some of them know what they are doing, and some do not. The Roof Consultants Institute was originally started by single-ply manufacturers or maybe even SPRI (I can’t remember for sure), so they could legitimize their products. RCI has transformed over the years, and they are doing a good thing, even though it has become a good ol’ boys club. Originally, they gave out RRC’s to just about anyone while trying to become what they are today. Now, it is not so easy, but I don’t really concern myself with all of that. In other words, RRC may not mean a whole lot, as I used to have a few RRCs as bosses and they would usually turn to me for input since I had actual field experience.

Hope that helps!

Yes, Cerberus… yes, it does.

I suppose it is somewhat in line with the “certifications” you can get from various shingle manufacturers by the mere act of paying your $ 150.00 fee.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Yes, Cerberus… yes, it does.

I suppose it is somewhat in line with the “certifications” you can get from various shingle manufacturers by the mere act of paying your $ 150.00 fee.[/quote]

Which one has the $150.00 fee?

CT’s at least is free.

Ed

[quote=“ed the roofer”]

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Yes, Cerberus… yes, it does.

I suppose it is somewhat in line with the “certifications” you can get from various shingle manufacturers by the mere act of paying your $ 150.00 fee.[/quote]

Which one has the $150.00 fee?

CT’s at least is free.

Ed[/quote]

Not a specific example; merely using a hypothetical.

It isn’t difficult to do some investigative work to find most of your answers… Google RCI, Inc. and click on the Professional Registration Programs link near the bottom of the page.

Some states like California require that you have the RRC or engineering/architectural certification in order to write specs. I agree that many of the RRC holders could use some basic hands on experience before touting the certification.