Removing Gas/Oil from Concrete Driveway

One of our subs dripped a fair amount of gas/oil on one of our Customer’s concrete driveway. No matter how hard we try, seems like this happens from time to time on a deck or sidewalk with a compressor or on a driveway with a vehicle.

What have you guys found to be the best method for removing this from concrete without damaging it? This particular one is causing some issues at the moment, I’m thinking to make it right we’re going to have to find the right cleaner and power wash the entire driveway.

Mark believe it or not I use cat litter.I have my guys put their compressors on a piece of plywood and I rarely allow them to park in a customers driveway unless they are staging the trailer.A 36" wide piece of plywood lapped will block drips or spillage from the radiator back to the differential.

But yes cat litter then a power wash with garage/concrete cleaner.The cat litter will draw the oils out.Tidy Cat is the brand I use.You should draw as much of the oil out prior so there is no possibility of spreading the stain.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]One of our subs dripped a fair amount of gas/oil on one of our Customer’s concrete driveway. No matter how hard we try, seems like this happens from time to time on a deck or sidewalk with a compressor or on a driveway with a vehicle.

What have you guys found to be the best method for removing this from concrete without damaging it? This particular one is causing some issues at the moment, I’m thinking to make it right we’re going to have to find the right cleaner and power wash the entire driveway.[/quote]

An HCL solution will work but will probably leave a clean spot.

I had a man spill 5 gallons of primer, at the base of Space Needle in Seattle! New sidewalk!

Used an orange cleaner and gone!

Dry Ice Blasting.

Nice and really awesome information posted by other users its amazing.

Nothing unusual with that here, lots of knowledgeable and helpful people posting here.

Thanks for all the excellent recommendations!

For the really tough stains (rust, old soda, oil), the absolute best is muriatic acid. You can purchase this from any Home Depot or Lowes, and it is cheap. Mix the solution to about 5-10% muriatic acid to water. You need to be really careful, as at full concentration it will immediately begin smoking when put on concrete, and will whiten it up like the day it was new (learned this one the hard way).