Removing old step flashing at brick wall

Guys,

We are about to re-roof this house and I really want to redo the step flashing
the proper way.

How difficult is it to remove the old flashing from it’s mortar joints?
Any tips?

http://savemoneytowing.com/IMG_4179.JPG

Step flashing is attached to the roof, not the wall.

If you’re talking about the counter-flashing, if it’s galv., it’s probably in the mortar about 1/2" or so. Chisel a small test test spot first, then chisel it out if feasible.

If it’s copper, chisel a small test spot to determine how deep it is. It may be ‘through-wall’ flashig and 16" deep. If so, leave it alone if it’s OK and just slide the step flashing behind it when you do the roof.

Ahhh, so you’re thinking that that flashing is the counter flash and there are rows of metal step flashing underneath it
for each course of shingles.

[quote=“tinner666”]Step flashing is attached to the roof, not the wall.

If you’re talking about the counter-flashing, if it’s galv., it’s probably in the mortar about 1/2" or so. Chisel a small test test spot first, then chisel it out if feasible.

If it’s copper, chisel a small test spot to determine how deep it is. It may be ‘through-wall’ flashig and 16" deep. If so, leave it alone if it’s OK and just slide the step flashing behind it when you do the roof.[/quote]

Not thinking it at all. Describing what’s supposed to be there.

If the Counter flashing and step flashing are separate just install the new step flashing as usual.If the Step flashing and Counter flashing are the same thing remove the Counter/step flashing,then install new step flashing,then install the new Counter flashing.

I prefer a continuous Counter flashing down the wall but if cost is an issue I guess you could get by with removing the 2 pieces of Counter flashing that have the Great sh** pumped in and the other that’s above it because that join comes too close to the roof deck for my liking.

When you have to start chopping portions off the sides of step flashing to slide behind the Counter flashing then that IMO isn’t a good thing.

Also if thats Copper Counter then install new Copper step flashing.